Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

As soon as Freedom Day was mentioned, most people stopped wearing masks. Nobody wore a mask in my local shop after that, even though it was illegal not to until today.

Messaging is important, and Boris's message is....

It's over!  Keep Calm and Carry On.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

‘Freedom Day’ face mask confusion looms as legal requirement to wear them ends.

I haven't read it anywhere, but I imagine that some supermarkets and stores will still require a mask to be worn by shoppers, to protect their employees.

• Like 2

Some people in England think that the pandemic is over because Boris has lifted lockdown there. The stuff being reported in the news today is just insane, it's no use Boris telling people to be cautious while at the same time giving them the go ahead to do whatever they want. Of course it takes the emphasis off him when the Covid cases rise even further and the NHS can't cope yet again, he can blame it on the people for not listening to him about being cautious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Some people in England think that the pandemic is over because Boris has lifted lockdown there. The stuff being reported in the news today is just insane, it's no use Boris telling people to be cautious while at the same time giving them the go ahead to do whatever they want. Of course it takes the emphasis off him when the Covid cases rise even further and the NHS can't cope yet again, he can blame it on the people for not listening to him about being cautious.

How many of the clubbing happy young people will not be such happy and healthy as today in the near future. Its a tragedy, triggered by incapable politicans and without need to act so.

• Like 3

After saying Covid Passports would never be introduced, Boris announced (today) that all clubbers will be required to present one from September.

It's an attempt to get more of the remaining 35% of adults vaccinated.

"Two jabs needed to enter nightclubs from September."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57893788

• Thanks 2

39,950 new cases and 19 new deaths

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

US warns travellers against heading to the UK over ‘very high’ Covid cases.

MSN

Sir Patrick Vallance corrects mistake to say 60% of people being admitted to hospital with coronavirus are unvaccinated.

Sky news

• Like 1

80 years ago people were conscripted, sent into harms way where they could face deadly danger, and had to accept any medicines they were told to have while they were in service. Today, ask someone just to have a vaccine or wear a mask for the good of others and they become flaky and protest about their personal freedom. I wonder what has changed.

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ted hughes said:

80 years ago people were conscripted, sent into harms way where they could face deadly danger, and had to accept any medicines they were told to have while they were in service. Today, ask someone just to have a vaccine or wear a mask for the good of others and they become flaky and protest about their personal freedom. I wonder what has changed.

I wrote teh above to be a bit provocative really, as I am trying to get some understanding of what has happened to us since 'Freedom' Day yesterday.

I was told in our local supermarket on the weekend that they would still expect masks to be worn, but not enforce them. There was virtually 100%.complience. Went there yesterday, the staff were still wearing masks but only about 50% customers.

I also noticed online #NoVaccinePassportsAnywhere is trending and we have had protests against the vaccine.

I don't understand why people are so furious about getting jabbed and being asked to wear a mask. I wonder if it is any of the following:

People really believe they will be turned into robots through microchips/5G radiation if they are jabbed

There is a very, very slight risk of death (lower than driving or being hit by lightening) - why are people so scared of the vaccine? 

Do people really believe doctors and epidemiologists are lying to them? What would be the motivation?

Do they believe Covid and Long Covid don't really exist?

4 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I don't understand why people are so furious about getting jabbed and being asked to wear a mask.

Some of the reasons I've heard are:

Because they're healthy they think their own immunity will protect them from catching Covid.

They know of someone who's had Covid and it didn't affect them much.

Covid is no worse than the flu.

They have concerns about the vaccines - they're worried about adverse effects in the years to come. Also some think the vaccines are microchipped, and because the vaccines are new they feel they're being experimented on.

The reporting of the Covid pandemic is just government propaganda.

Not wearing a mask is their freedom of choice as is their choice to not be vaccinated. They feel being forced to do either violates their freedom.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44,104 new cases and 73 new deaths

'Increasing pressure' to keep shelves stocked as 'pingdemic' threatens staffing, retailers warn

Sky news

How many people in the UK have been given the vaccine so far?

Government data up to Tuesday July 20, shows the number of people in the UK to have been given a first dose of a Covid vaccine is 46,388,744 - an increase of 39,035 from the previous day. 88% of adults in the UK have had their first jab.

The number of people who have had both doses of the Covid vaccine stands at 36,404,566, an increase of 161,279 from the previous day. 68.8% of adults in the UK are fully vaccinated.

As of Tuesday July 20, 82,793,310 Covid-19 vaccine doses have been given in the UK.

ITV news

• Like 3

39,906 new cases and 84 new deaths

Covid cases at record levels for 20 to 29-year-olds.

BBC news report

Labour MP asked to leave the Commons after saying Boris Johnson has 'lied over and over again' during pandemic.

Sky news report

Almost 620,000 told to isolate amid 'pingdemic' - highest ever figure.

ITV news report

• Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, Eldorado said:

'Increasing pressure' to keep shelves stocked as 'pingdemic' threatens staffing, retailers warn

Sky news

They have to do something about this Pingdemic.  There are businesses along my High Street that have just been allowed to reopen, but are closed because of staff isolating.

That includes pubs! :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, acute said:

They have to do something about this Pingdemic.  There are businesses along my High Street that have just been allowed to reopen, but are closed because of staff isolating.

HA! You think you have problems?! The CHIPPY has closed here!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, acute said:

The media's emphasis on staff isolating due to the NHS app sort of misses the point - the app is working exactly as it is supposed to, identifying close contacts of those who have tested positive for the virus and asking them to self-isolate. The real problem is that the government has allowed the virus to spread uncontrolled through the population, thus exponentially increasing the number of people who are being exposed to it.

Reducing the sensitivity of the app or excluding people from self-isolating is a bit like shutting off all the smoke alarms while the building burns down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It looks as if they are half fixing the Pingdemic problem, for the food supply sector.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, Ted E Hughes said:

It’s called becoming Americanized.  

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Saru said:

The media's emphasis on staff isolating due to the NHS app sort of misses the point - the app is working exactly as it is supposed to, identifying close contacts of those who have tested positive for the virus and asking them to self-isolate. The real problem is that the government has allowed the virus to spread uncontrolled through the population, thus exponentially increasing the number of people who are being exposed to it.

Aye, people were complaining "track & trace" didn't work - and as soon as it does work, they complain that it's working .....

I do also think that a major factor here is that a great many more people have been putting themselves in positions where they may come into close, prolonged, contact with someone who tests positive.  Particularly pubs.    The biggest single cause of the upsurge in cases over the past 2 weeks (IMO, anyway) is the Euro final .....  

• Like 3

36,389 new cases and 64 new deaths

Firm fined £2.6m for claiming clothes prevent Covid

BBC news

Scientists warn coronavirus testing could be overwhelmed by rising infections

Sky news

Train services slashed amid staff shortages as industries suffer impact of self-isolation

ITV news

• Thanks 1

Things could now have turned a corner and short of the 100,000 case numbers predicted last week.

U.K. COVID Cases Fall as Restrictions Ease, Giving Hope to Rest of World.

On Sunday, the U.K. recorded 29,173 new COVID cases, which was a dramatic decrease from the 48,161 that were seen on July 18, meaning the number of new infections logged fell for five days in a row for the first time since February, according to the Department of Health.

The amount of positive tests recorded in the U.K. also fell about 15 percent over a seven-day period, as the department recorded 28 deaths within 28 days of a positive test on Sunday, which was down from the 60 that were reported a week earlier.

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-19-cases-falling-uk-usa-world-restrictions-lifted-hope-vaccine-end-pandemic-1613044?piano_t=1

update -

New cases in UK fall for a sixth day in a row.

The number of people testing positive for Covid has continued to fall in the UK, the latest daily figures show.

A further 24,950 new cases were reported on Monday - down from 29,173 the day before.

It's the first time since mid-November that the UK has seen cases fall for six consecutive days. Back then, it was following the reintroduction of national lockdown measures in England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57967637

• Like 1

July 26th: 24,684 new cases and 14 new deaths

July 27rd: 23,204 new cases and 131 new deaths

July 28th: 27,436 new cases and 91 new deaths

July 29th: 30,980 new cases and 85 new deaths

July 30th: 29,622 new cases and 68 new deaths

---

Total Coronavirus Cases: 5,830,774

Total Deaths: 129,583

• Thanks 1