Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

1 hour ago, Setton said:

It's not the fault of politicians (mostly). It's the profiteering private sector insisting staff still come to work and putting key workers at risk. 

Of course its the fault of the politicians because they have the power to make decisions which are above economical interest of 3rt parties.

I can't help wondering how Mrs. T of blessed memory would have approached this "crisis". I suspect she'd have used her renowned robust common sense and said something like people in high risk categories, living in crowded conditions, should take sensible precautions, but I bet, for all the supposed authoritarian tendencies that people liked to attribute to her, she wouldn't have gone into a tizzy of panic on her little lectern in front of furled Union Jacks* and vacuous slogans, very reminiscent of 1984 ("War is peace! Freedom is slavery! Ignorance is strength!")  It seems that the West ran out of leaders with any backbone as the 1980s came to an end. 

* Union Flags for pedants and experts in naval flags 

Briton, 21, with no pre-existing health conditions dies after contracting COVID-19

Minster FM: Link

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Why is the line being pushed about the NHS being in trouble. if so few are hospitalised nationally. Its starting to look like its London centric, hence why their setting up a field/bed hospital in London's docklands. (excel centre)

We have 3 major Hospitals in Liverpool and they are dealing with 35 people. you wouldn't expect that 35 people would put strain on the local hospitals.

Seen a piece in 'The Times' stating some health experts in a Oxford study believe half the UK population has already had the virus.

It's what's expected to arrive that's the issue.

Italy and Spain are the obvious countries where the world's focus is right now. Spain's death toll has just overtaken China's. They're converting entertainment venues such as an ice rink into a temporary morgue:

Coronavirus: Spain’s death toll surpasses China’s

China's lockdown measures in Wuhan were far more strict than those of even Italy too. They seperated children from parents as soon as they showed symptoms. They completely closed down the public transport system, even to healthworkers. Individual neighbourhoods barred roads to prevent people getting in or out, and police and military strictly enforced the rules.

We're just not ready for those kind of measures in western nations. While most are responsible and following the rules, we still have morons going into supermarkets and licking food to do the social media "Coronavirus Challenge"... utterly crazy :no:

Italy is probably the place to watch closely right now. Although the death toll was high again yesterday, they've overall had a decline in new infections across the nation as a whole. From memory of the article I watched this morning, nationally it was around 8%. In the south though it was around 25%. That's the real issue Italy is facing, as the south has nowhere near the medical facilities of the wealthy northern regions. With the high unemplyement in the south, many were working in the wealthier north, until they returned south when Lombardy started closing its borders, likely bringing many infections with them.

I guess the bottom line is "You can't shut the barn door after the horse has bolted." All the statistics suggest at the moment that we're higher on The Curve™ than Italy, but I guess all any of us can do is follow advice, use our heads in vague areas, and wait to see where the numbers go.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Briton, 21, with no pre-existing health conditions dies after contracting COVID-19

Minster FM: Link

One of the biggest mistakes the media have made over the last few weeks was pushing the "elderly and underying health conditions" angle.

I mean, that is just logical to assume anyway with any infection, but it falsely pushed some into dangerous complacency, both in the risk to themselves, and their responsibility to protect those around them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The worst thing was the false premise of a promise that the virus understands what 4% means and is contracted to stay below it... 

~

Edited by third_eye
Elaborating
  • Like 4

"Spain’s death toll from the coronavirus has surpassed the official figure from China, becoming the second highest in the world.

"Deaths have risen by 738 in just 24 hours to a total of 3,434 - a record spike for Spain.

"In comparison, China has officially reported 3,285 deaths, while Italy – the worst affected country – has 6,820."

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52036836

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apparently a home test will be avaliable soon to see if you've had or currently have the virus. 

If you've had the virus and recovered you don't have to self isolate - tests here in the UK indicate if you get the virus a second time your acquired immunity from the first bout prevents you from infecting others. 

Tests will be avaliable via Amazon and local chemist. 

I would not be shocked to find I've had the virus. As a month or so ago me and two of the lads I work with all had headaches for around 3 to 4 days. And just felt tired. At the same time my dad whose certainly in the high risk group had a fever aching joints. And pounding headache. Lasted around 5 days. 

These tests and results will be interesting. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toast said:

Of course its the fault of the politicians because they have the power to make decisions which are above economical interest of 3rt parties.

And if those companies choose to ignore the government? As they are doing. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Setton said:

And if those companies choose to ignore the government? As they are doing. 

Then, the government is weak. (" Right now ha, ha, ha, ha, ha" -Johny Rotten-)

58 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Apparently a home test will be avaliable soon to see if you've had or currently have the virus. 

If you've had the virus and recovered you don't have to self isolate - tests here in the UK indicate if you get the virus a second time your acquired immunity from the first bout prevents you from infecting others. 

Tests will be avaliable via Amazon and local chemist.

Link to the story:

Coronavirus test: UK to make 15-minute at-home kits available within days

The only problem I foresee is that the same selfish crowd that panic-bought toilet rolls will snap these up instantly. They should be prioritized for those most at risk, either through health or being in the frontlines of care, etc.

Let's hope the price actually is realistic too, given many have already been crippled by the lockdown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The death toll in the UK from coronavirus.

41 people across country died in the past 24 hours, marks a major drop in deaths from the day before - in which 87 people died.

A further 51 people are currently in intensive care units with either confirmed or suspected Covid-19.

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-reaches-463-with-41-dyin/

• Like 2

"The UK’s chief medical officer has dismissed suggestions a coronavirus antibody test will be ready to buy online next week.

"Professor Chris Whitty said the accuracy of the tests needed to be properly tested before they were made available for public use."

ITV news: Link

"The number of people who have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus has risen by 43 to 465. It represents the smallest rise in the number of deaths since 17 March - more than a week ago."

"But there was the biggest increase in the number of infections across the UK - up 1,542 to 9,529."

"Those who died include a 47-year-old who did not have an underlying health condition."

Sky news: Link

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 7:51 AM, Eldorado said:

Snowdonia National Park Authority said its area "experienced its busiest ever visitor day in living memory" on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51994504

We becoming a nation of selfish half-wits?

I'm just glad that most of our elders aren't around to see what a damned mess we've made of this world :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

"The devastated Lanarkshire-based aunt of a "fit and healthy" 28-year-old man who died after being diagnosed with Coronavirus has urged  the public to heed government advice.

"Adam Sullivan passed away on Tuesday just over a week after he reported being unable to breathe.

"He had suffered a chest infection three weeks earlier."

Glasgow Times: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"The UK’s chief medical officer has dismissed suggestions a coronavirus antibody test will be ready to buy online next week.

"Professor Chris Whitty said the accuracy of the tests needed to be properly tested before they were made available for public use."

ITV news: Link

"The number of people who have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus has risen by 43 to 465. It represents the smallest rise in the number of deaths since 17 March - more than a week ago."

"But there was the biggest increase in the number of infections across the UK - up 1,542 to 9,529."

"Those who died include a 47-year-old who did not have an underlying health condition."

Way too early but we are testing far more people so that wasn't a huge jump in new cases.

I am still clinging on to hope that our lifestyle may prevent us from an Italy or Spain situation.

As we know several generations can live in the same house which surely must have fueled the spread.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 9,529 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK
6 hours ago, skookum said:

Way too early but we are testing far more people so that wasn't a huge jump in new cases.

I am still clinging on to hope that our lifestyle may prevent us from an Italy or Spain situation.

As we know several generations can live in the same house which surely must have fueled the spread.

I think the advice, several weeks ago, to the elderly and more vulnerable to restrict contact might now start showing up in the number of deaths?

It takes around two weeks for any change in behavior to be seen in the numbers. From my own experience many elderly relatives cut down on going out, and contact with others, when initial guidance was issued. 

These folks are the most at risk from developing complications, if they have managed to stay safe then this will hold down the number of deaths as a bigger percentage of those infected will be younger/fitter. 

Yesterdays reduction in UK deaths might be the first sign of reduced elderly infected working through?   

• Like 1

Well I'm sure you've seen Bozo's Instructions to his People, I'm sure it's been in all the papers, £30 fine for ignoring coronavirus lockdown-what you need to know

People are now only entitled to leave their property for:

* Shopping for basic necessities

* One form of exercise a day

* Medical need 

* To care for a vulnerable person

* Travelling to work only when absolutely necessary.

"One form of exercise a day"!! How do they monitor that then? I suppose through your phone, and Google then snitches on you the Authorities if you take more than one form of exercise a day. :angry: 

And some prize priggish comments, as you'd expect, from Cressida Dick (say it to the tune of the Blankety-Blank theme tune) of the Metropolitain Police: "the "vast majority" of people want to obey the new rules." *vom emoji* 

and now Bozo is addressing his people through Official Spokesmen (surely that's cause for arrest by the Sexism Police :angry: " who can only speak in slogans, and therefore leads me to suspect that he's a droid:

"Mr Johnson's official spokesman said: "The Prime Minister issued a clear instruction on behalf of the Government on the actions the public are required to take to help prevent the spread of the virus, protect the NHS and save lives."

Another 115 people have died, taking the UK coronavirus death toll to 578. There are now 11,658 people who have tested positive for Covid-19, while 93,208 people have tested negative for the virus.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/26/another-115-die-coronavirus-taking-uk-death-toll-578-12460457/?ITO=squid

• Like 2

UK is world’s biggest coronavirus vaccine donor after £210,000,000 pledge.

The donation was announced by Boris Johnson following a virtual G20 Summit today, and raises the total amount of UK aid spent fighting coronavirus to £540 million. The PM said the money will ensure British scientists ‘lead the global fight’ against Covid-19 but called on governments around the world to ‘step up and help’.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/26/uk-worlds-biggest-coronavirus-vaccine-donor-210000000-pledge-12461332/?ITO=squid

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Well I'm sure you've seen Bozo's Instructions to his People, I'm sure it's been in all the papers, £30 fine for ignoring coronavirus lockdown-what you need to know

People are now only entitled to leave their property for:

* Shopping for basic necessities

* One form of exercise a day

* Medical need 

* To care for a vulnerable person

* Travelling to work only when absolutely necessary.

"One form of exercise a day"!! How do they monitor that then? I suppose through your phone, and Google then snitches on you the Authorities if you take more than one form of exercise a day. :angry: 

And some prize priggish comments, as you'd expect, from Cressida Dick (say it to the tune of the Blankety-Blank theme tune) of the Metropolitain Police: "the "vast majority" of people want to obey the new rules." *vom emoji* 

and now Bozo is addressing his people through Official Spokesmen (surely that's cause for arrest by the Sexism Police :angry: " who can only speak in slogans, and therefore leads me to suspect that he's a droid:

"Mr Johnson's official spokesman said: "The Prime Minister issued a clear instruction on behalf of the Government on the actions the public are required to take to help prevent the spread of the virus, protect the NHS and save lives."

The one exercise a day does have a loophole, theres no time limit but if you walk or cycle on your own you're pretty much alright. So in a way you could stay out for half a day

"The number of people who have died after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK has increased by 119 to 584 in 24 hours.

"At the end of Wednesday, the UK count had stood at 465.

"The number of people who have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK now stands at 11,658.

"The number who have tested negative stands at 93,208."

UK Gov has death toll at 578: Link

As do the BBC: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 2

Oh dear, the Beloved Leader has either not been complying with the orders he's been relentlessly dictating to his people, or perhaps he might be beginning to realise how hopelessly impractical they are? Either way, he might not be lecturing us quite so sanctimoniously now. 

3 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Oh dear, the Beloved Leader has either not been complying with the orders he's been relentlessly dictating to his people, or perhaps he might be beginning to realise how hopelessly impractical they are? Either way, he might not be lecturing us quite so sanctimoniously now. 

Get this.

We are to observe social distancing. Borders are closed. Essential staff only. 

Tomorrow we have to line up at polling booths or face a fine. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSC3QCnTrGVpH1o6Obcp5H

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/27/queensland-elections-coronavirus-poses-lethal-risk-to-voters-experts-say

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK