Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

1,675 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

L.A.T.1961

'Drive-thru' test centres for coronavirus to spring up around UK

Services in both Parsons Green, London, and Edinburgh will be opened to help residents test "safely and quickly" without having to use public transport and risk infecting other people.

After being referred through NHS 111, people are invited to an appointment in their car, where two community nurses carry out a swab in the nose and mouth, which are then checked and assessed within 72 hours.

Service users are then asked to self-isolate while checks are completed, to prevent any potential onward transmission of the virus.

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/coronavirus/drive-thru-test-centres-for-coronavirus-to-spring/ 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

"Military to help NHS cope with major coronavirus outbreak"

"Under ministerial planning for a “reasonable worst-case scenario” of a potential pandemic, doctors and nurses working for the armed forces would help at hospitals where staff who have the virus are too ill to work or are self-isolating at home. "

Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/military-to-help-nhs-cope-with-major-coronavirus-outbreak

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
Quote

Coronavirus passed on within UK for first time

A new coronavirus patient in England has become the first to catch the illness within the UK while a man who had been on a quarantined cruise ship became the first Briton to die from the virus.

Health leaders confirmed on Friday that a 20th patient had tested positive for the virus, and that it had been passed on within the UK.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-passed-within-uk-first-000157577.html

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Commander Travis

Just in case the people who are fervent members of the "at last this is the long-awaited Apocalypse! :D " crowd honestly didn't think they were being hysterical, this was the front page story in the Times [1], the formerly sober, eminently respected Voice of the Nation. They insist you pay to see their website, and I wasn't going to pay £2 for their hysteria rag, but this was what they said.

Quote

 

"Britain has gone to War Footing in the face of Cornoavirus(TM)  as Prime Minister Joris Bohnson Takes Command

"He has been accused of not responding quickly enough to the emergency by not hosting a meeting of the top Secret Cobra Emergency Committee." [2] 

"Ministers are rumoured to be considering whether to allow an @acute outbreak, from which the economy will bounce back more quickly, or whether to save more lives by imposing restrictions on mass gatherings and transportation."

 

Restrictions on mass gatherings? :hmm: That's always a first step isn't it. Coming up next: Compulsory screening for Coronavuris(TM)? The Authorities given power to test anyone they like, with or without their consent, and seal them off in isolation pods? 

-----------------------------------------------

[1] "of London", as Americans always say to distinguish it from that New York rag

[2]  they couldn't do it any earlier as Bond was on holiday 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Commander Travis
13 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

'Drive-thru' test centres for coronavirus to spring up around UK

Services in both Parsons Green, London, and Edinburgh will be opened to help residents test "safely and quickly" without having to use public transport and risk infecting other people.

After being referred through NHS 111, people are invited to an appointment in their car, where two community nurses carry out a swab in the nose and mouth, which are then checked and assessed within 72 hours.

Service users are then asked to self-isolate while checks are completed, to prevent any potential onward transmission of the virus.

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/coronavirus/drive-thru-test-centres-for-coronavirus-to-spring/ 

I love it when the world goes potty. It gives those of us who remain sane such a feeling of, well, :ph34r:, to be honest, that the entire machinery of the State can, it seems, can be mobilised instantly to pander to anyone who might be feeling hysterical [3] , but can't, for instance, repair roads or construct new railway lines in anything less tan ten years. 

[3] though to be fair, there didn't seem much evidence of hysteria or world's-gone-pottiness down Morrisons just now, perhaps it is just in the minds of the media and politicians :ph34r:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

What's the mortality rate with this virus? 1-in-????? infected.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
7 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

What's the mortality rate with this virus? 1-in-????? infected.

Its currently at about 1% but of course if everyone got it in the UK that could be 660,000 deaths.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961
4 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

perhaps it is just in the minds of the media and politicians :ph34r:

I think the virus has to be taken seriously but there is often no happy medium when it comes to media or public reactions to events. There is a lot of project fear on social media. ;)

Having said that its worth bearing in mind that if 30% of UK public contract the virus this year, when coupled with a 1% mortality rate, the death count is 225,000.   

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961

I have been following Dr John Campbell for info on COVID 19. No speculation just the facts and some useful insight.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
Quote

Three more people from England have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total number of UK cases to 23.

Two of the patients had recently returned from Italy, while the other had come back from Asia, chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty said.

The cases are from Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire and Berkshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51684624

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters

Another 12 confirmed cases in England.

Quote

Twelve more patients in England have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total number of UK cases to 35.

Three patients were close contacts of a known case which was transmitted in the UK, chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty said.

One person from Essex had "no relevant travel" and it was unclear how they had contracted the virus.

Out of the remaining eight cases, six had recently returned from Italy and two had been to Iran.

Prof Whitty said these patients were from London, West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester, Hertfordshire and Gloucestershire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51697991

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan
22 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Its currently at about 1% but of course if everyone got it in the UK that could be 660,000 deaths.

Although (according to official figures) only 0.006% of Chinese people have got it.  Maybe time to emigrate?  Chine does sound a LOT safer than the UK :D   

IMO a lot more people have probably got/had it without even knowing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
Posted (edited)

Apparently there have been nearly 3,000 deaths worldwide so far from Coronavirus…

In 2017/2018 there were 26,408 deaths due to flu in England alone, of that 22,237 were in the over 65 age group.

a little perspective.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

And if you want I'll post the number of deaths worldwide from Islamic terrorism.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

how long can this virus survive in the environment?

and does it survive longer in colder or warmer conditions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

how long can this virus survive in the environment?

and does it survive longer in colder or warmer conditions?

I asked this myself and found an information published by Prof. Dr. Steinmann (Molecular and Medical Virology at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum). He stated the virus stay alive on surfaces for 4-5 days, under cold conditions and at high air humidity up to 9 days. Thats quite bad I would say.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, toast said:

He stated the virus stay alive on surfaces for 4-5 days, under cold conditions and at high air humidity up to 9 days. Thats quite bad I would say.

How many hands can a dollar pass between in a week? https://prezi.com/bxcuabjmrkwr/how-far-does-money-travel/

The flu virus can survive on cash from one hour to two days. Also, about 7% of money carries viable strains of dangerous bacteria, like ones that cause pneumonia. Also, 92% of all bank notes contain trace amounts of illegal drugs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

there is often no happy medium

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Stokes

Always jolly.

 

(You're welcome. :))

 

Edited by acute
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

36 Coronavirus cases now. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961
2 hours ago, acute said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Stokes

Always jolly.

 

(You're welcome. :))

 

She might have been then but what about now :innocent: has she been in touch.  :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
5 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

She might have been then but what about now :innocent: has she been in touch.  :D 

I imagine so! ;)

I'm sure she's still smiling, wherever she is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961
Posted (edited)

I have my nieces wedding to go to in June, I am mid way through hiring a camper van ( no deposit paid yet) for the trip up to Scotland for the big day. But will I be allowed across the Scottish border ?  :huh:

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TigerBright19
Posted (edited)

Met a woman in the city the other day.  She said she knows a guy who had just come over from Wuhan, China.  Apparently he got a flight to Amsterdam and drove to France and boarded a regular ferry into England.  No fuss whatever.  It was also common talk that a group of school kids were staying in a quarantined hotel in Italy, and while most of them were forced to stay, a large number of them had managed to get out just before the quarantine was enforced, and they flew back home to Belfast without any fuss and with nobody in Belfast to instruct them on what to do, so they simply got off the plane and went home.

 

 

Edited by Aaron2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961
2 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Met a woman in the city the other day.  She said she knows a guy who had just come over from Wuhan, China.  Apparently he got a flight to Amsterdam and drove to France and boarded a regular ferry into England.  No fuss whatever.  It was also common talk that a group of school kids were staying in a quarantined hotel in Italy, and while most of them were forced to stay, a large number of them had managed to get out just before the quarantine was enforced, and they flew back home to Belfast without any fuss and with nobody in Belfast to instruct them on what to do, so they simply got off the plane and went home.

 

 

I would imagine there is a lot of this type of behaviour going on. There might be advice for movement on government web sites but it is voluntary.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.