Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK

Still Waters

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Labour calls for lockdown exit strategy this week.

The government is expected to announce on Thursday that social distancing measures will continue. Sir Keir said Labour would back such a move but to maintain public trust "there needs to be transparency".

In an interview with BBC Breakfast, however, Sir Keir said it would be "wrong" to put a time on when schools should reopen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52287920

It looks like Labour wants the government to commit early to an exit strategy but will not come off the fence themselves ?

Do we need an exit strategy published in the next few days or is it better to wait for the last possible moment and use the latest data to formulate the exit plan? 

its not up to the opposition to develop an exit strategy - it is up to the government who would call on the civil service to produce one, something which an opposition party cannot do. Therefore there is no contradiction between requesting an exit strategy and not producing one themselves. They wouldn't have access to sufficient data for a start - even with attending covid 19 meetings. 

29 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Last I saw Keir refused to attend briefings with government on CV19. 

I believe that invitation was to leaders of the opposition, Keir was not a leader at that time (he was named though probably for PR purposes - so people could dig it up). Such invitations are routine and Corbyn has already attended such meetings as leader of the opposition. Keir will no doubt do so. 

On a final note it is the duty of the opposition to highlight when things are not being done well, if at all, it is not their duty, even in crisis, to hail the government as doing a great a job, unless in fact it is. 

The jury is out on how good or bad the government is doing, and indeed how honest it has been during its daily briefings. 

Edited by RAyMO

53 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think if Keir wants to be taken seriously then its not enough to demand action without saying what he would do.

The Labour party had a manifesto for the last election, i don't think its unreasonable for them to have there own exit plan today if they expect one from government.

Last I saw Keir refused to attend briefings with government on CV19. 

He wants the country to be fully informed but not himself. ;)     

I wasn't aware he refused to take part in the briefings, Labour anyway are still unelectable. when you look at Keir himself and those he's selected in his shadow govt.

Chancellor Annelise Dodds, good grief.

Ed 'tomb stone' Miliband as Shadow Business Sec,

Lisa Nandy Foreign Sec. a position way WAY above her abilities.

He never had much of a pool to choose from after Labour losing the election and being battered all over the country, losing in Scotland, Wales and England.

rest of the list here, wow.

https://labour.org.uk/people/shadow-cabinet/

• Like 1

"The baby of a "highly-valued and loved" nurse has been delivered successfully after she died from Covid-19.

"Mary Agyeiwaa Agyapong, 28, had worked for five years at Luton and Dunstable University Hospital, where she died on Sunday."

At the BBC: Link

• Sad 2

On 4/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, stevewinn said:

Is the curve beginning to flatten yet? Some say it has started in the last four days, for 11 weeks nothing was wrong with how the figures where counted. until now. Now we start to see hope, a flattening and all of a sudden the media want 15% more deaths added to the total. Surely for us to know if we've turned a corner we have to stick to the the same methodology. We have 12,000 deaths the media want 20,000. ****s rhymes with bat's. 

Can I recommend this page: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-cases-data-reveals-how-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704

Most of it is statistics for Australia, but about a third of the way down there's a graph showing the number of cases since the 100th case for a bunch of countries around the world, on a logarithmic scale (sorry if I haven't explained it well, but I think the image on the graph is very easy to understand). What it shows that the curve is flattening in the UK, but only slowly. Best of all, the stats are updated daily.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think if Keir wants to be taken seriously then its not enough to demand action without saying what he would do.

The Labour party had a manifesto for the last election, i don't think its unreasonable for them to have there own exit plan today if they expect one from government.

19 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Labour just needs to shut up for a moment. don't you agree?

The Tory Govt is taking advice off the health experts, If Labour was the govt they'd be receiving the same advice off the same health experts. - and we all know the last people we'd want in charge in any crisis is the Labour Party.

Of course, if you were both able to pull your heads out of Boris's **** for 30 seconds and actually read the articles you link, you'd see that Starmer has said the exit strategy should consist of testing and contact tracing - as per the WHO advice the government ignored back in February. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Lisa Nandy Foreign Sec. a position way WAY above her abilities.

Pot, meet kettle. 

_111757772_hi061027837.jpg

Edited by Setton

This article from the BBC starts to put some flesh on the bones of who is dying from this virus, and, IMO, starts to give us an idea of how this can be put into perspective against the lockdown measures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52308783

The main points are that 91% of victims had pre-existing medical conditions, heart disease, dementia and respiratory illnesses notably. On average, those dying have three pre-existing health problems. The article explains that it is difficult to quantify by how much a persons life has been shortened, but I doubt it would have been by very much. This leaves 9% of deaths that can be squarely laid at the door of the virus, that is, at this time, 1,158 direct victims of covid 19 in the UK.

Edited by Wepwawet
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Tributes have been paid to a hospital worker from Wrexham who has died after testing positive for coronavirus.

"Andy Treble, 57, died on Wednesday, 15 April, at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

"He had worked at the hospital for almost 40 years and has been described as a 'kind man' who always had a smile on his face.

"His daughter Emily, 17, said she was "proud to call him her father"."

Full report at ITV: Link

"A dental nurse has died after being treated for coronavirus in Swansea.

"The local health board confirmed Linnette Cruz, aged 51, who was a senior head nurse at a practice in Sketty, had been admitted to hospital last month after suffering with Covid-19 symptoms.

"Ms Cruz passed away on 14 April.  She is survived by her husband, Jeonardy, a son, Jeonard, a sister, Rose, and her parents."

ITV: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Setton said:

Starmer has said the exit strategy should consist of testing and contact tracing - as per the WHO advice the government ignored back in February. 

I think the government have made the same observation regards the importance of testing. ;) 

What soothsayer Starmer has not mentioned is how all the testing can be arranged when the entire world is after testing kits and there ingredients. Stating the obvious does not move things on much, or at all, but is great for scoring political points. 

If the opposition do not work on an exit strategy how can they compare it with the governments and identify its flaws. 

If No Labour exit strategy then no comment. :tu:

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to 103,093 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK
18 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

So, as of 1800 on April 16 there 103,093 confirmed cases in the UK and 13,729 deaths. The figures for Germany Covid 19 data for Germany today show 130,450 cases and 3,569 deaths. Interesting....

obviously using the VW (emissions) method of counting. if the UK was to do the same we'd have 1,158.

• Haha 2

Firefighters begin moving bodies after ‘considerable number’ of coronavirus deaths in the Midlands

"Firefighters are working 12-hour day and night shifts, moving and handling bodies and placing the deceased into body bags, the union said."

UK Independent: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to 108,692 coronavirus cases now confirmed in UK

Nine dead at Clydebank nursing home with suspected Covid-19

BBC: Link

Local to me. :(  In the week from 6 to 12 April, the virus was mentioned in 31% of all deaths registered in Scotland.

Scotland's covid report at the NRS (stats): PDF

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 1

On 4/16/2020 at 7:47 AM, Wepwawet said:

This article from the BBC starts to put some flesh on the bones of who is dying from this virus, and, IMO, starts to give us an idea of how this can be put into perspective against the lockdown measures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52308783

The main points are that 91% of victims had pre-existing medical conditions, heart disease, dementia and respiratory illnesses notably. On average, those dying have three pre-existing health problems. The article explains that it is difficult to quantify by how much a persons life has been shortened, but I doubt it would have been by very much. This leaves 9% of deaths that can be squarely laid at the door of the virus, that is, at this time, 1,158 direct victims of covid 19 in the UK.

Nice logic. 

Let me c. 6 million jews were Indirect victims of Hitler since he never killed anyone himself.

Also, the atomoc bombs on Hiroshima only killed maybe 1 or 2 people, depending on how many were directly under the bomb when hitting the ground.

Also, in suicidebombings there is only ONE direct casulty, everyone else should have not been there in the first place.

Niceeeeeeee logic mate.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, Eldorado said:

Firefighters begin moving bodies after ‘considerable number’ of coronavirus deaths in the Midlands

"Firefighters are working 12-hour day and night shifts, moving and handling bodies and placing the deceased into body bags, the union said."

UK Independent: Link

I can't find it right now, but.....  I believe that my local NHS Trust*  has had the highest number of UK cases per day for the last 10 days.

The temporary mortuary at Birmingham Airport was in use before it was finished, but it officially opened today.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/huge-mortuary-opens-birmingham-airport-18110712#ICID=Android_BMNewsApp_AppShare

Edited by acute
* University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, if anyone can find the stats.
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Nine dead at Clydebank nursing home with suspected Covid-19

BBC: Link

Local to me. :(  In the week from 6 to 12 April, the virus was mentioned in 31% of all deaths registered in Scotland.

Scotland's covid report at the NRS (stats): PDF

There seems to be cases in care homes where residents are dying and coronavirus is being added to the death certificate without any test being done. As happened in my uncles case. Pneumonia he was said to have. But on the death certificate cv19 is included. His family queried this, as no mention of cv16 by any doctor or care worker. The first they become aware was when picking up the death certificate. The answer they got was he wasn't tested. But had symptoms. So the family contacted the care home to ask them if they'd been notified he was possible cv19. The care home was unaware of any possible cv19. Hence why they were allowing numerous family members at his bed side. (one at a time) so his immediate family and then theirs have been potentially, and I say potentially exposed to the virus. Because no one knows if he had it or not. So what's going on. Did he have it or didn't he have it. Either way he's part of the statistic. He's the only death at the care home, so it's not like there is a out break of cases at his care home. He died at the care home and then transported to the hospital. Where his death was certified at the hospital 3 hours after death by a Doctor. Using some sort of crystal ball it seems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Britain's low-life crooks loving the pandemic

"There's an epidemic of crime, cons and counterfeits as fraudsters cash-in on this crisis. Our research reveals fake treatments, illegal sanitiser and bogus safety masks - with police and trading standards seizing goods and issuing a new spate of public warnings.

"ITV News was shown a kit being sold as a treatment for Covid-19, but the only real benefit was to the fraudsters behind it. The ‘treatment’ involves mixing potentially toxic chemicals and rinsing your mouth with them."

ITV: Link

10 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

There seems to be cases in care homes where residents are dying and coronavirus is being added to the death certificate without any test being done. As happened in my uncles case. Pneumonia he was said to have. But on the death certificate cv19 is included. His family queried this, as no mention of cv16 by any doctor or care worker. The first they become aware was when picking up the death certificate. The answer they got was he wasn't tested. But had symptoms. So the family contacted the care home to ask them if they'd been notified he was possible cv19. The care home was unaware of any possible cv19. Hence why they were allowing numerous family members at his bed side. (one at a time) so his immediate family and then theirs have been potentially, and I say potentially exposed to the virus. Because no one knows if he had it or not. So what's going on. Did he have it or didn't he have it. Either way he's part of the statistic. He's the only death at the care home, so it's not like there is a out break of cases at his care home. He died at the care home and then transported to the hospital. Where his death was certified at the hospital 3 hours after death by a Doctor. Using some sort of crystal ball it seems. 

Re:elderly rest care patients.

We have a cluster of elderly patients dying who are not being given all of the treatments available I believe this includes the test. The reason behind it is it is a dementia ward where we know infection has occurred. Unfortunately there is no pleasant way to stick a swab up the nose or down the throat of a scared and confused person. And when when they are all ready in the last stages of life it’s unnecessarily cruel.

This is a very good reason as to why some older people are not tested. 
In your Uncle’s case perhaps it was a clerical error because of overworked medical staff. Sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

No underlying conditions in 5% of coronavirus deaths in English hospitals

UK Guardian: Link

That's concerning. Though it is worth noting that even without the underlying conditions (diabetes, COPD, etc) that general old age could still be a factor for those 5 percent.

• Like 1

So were getting daily figures. Tests being done. Deaths. Etc.. As any expert based on the figures to date cared to estimated how many citizens have possibly had the virus. As we know 80% of people have mild symptoms and don't require treatment. And of that number 20% have no symptoms whatsoever. 

Have 5% had it? 15%? 20? Etc..... Anyone seen this mentioned officially? 

It's clear testing ten million of the population would give us a pretty good idea. But the UK doesn't have the capacity to test that number of people in quick order. And of the quick do it yourself tests (home tests) are not accurate enough and so failed testing. 

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

So were getting daily figures. Tests being done. Deaths. Etc.. As any expert based on the figures to date cared to estimated how many citizens have possibly had the virus. As we know 80% of people have mild symptoms and don't require treatment. And of that number 20% have no symptoms whatsoever. 

Have 5% had it? 15%? 20? Etc..... Anyone seen this mentioned officially? 

No, and we won't any time soon. Because we can't know without testing. 

You know, that testing the WHO was recommending a couple of months ago. When we decided to do our own thing instead. 

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

That's concerning. Though it is worth noting that even without the underlying conditions (diabetes, COPD, etc) that general old age could still be a factor for those 5 percent.

Maybe. But when we see some opposite of that in reports like this, it may not be narrowed down to mostly old age and maybe something else.

17 of the Oldest People in the World to Have Beaten COVID-19

Exclusive: Atlanta couple survives coronavirus, donates blood to help find cure

One couple, two coronavirus cases and wildly different symptoms

There are probably more cases like these. I'm still looking.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK