Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossilized shark's head found in Mammoth cave

Still Waters

Kentucky's Mammoth Cave National Park is a long way from the ocean, but newly discovered fossils suggest the area was once teeming with sharks.

Scientists have identified the remains of 15 to 20 different species of sharks deep in the cave, including part of the head of a great white-sized monster that's partially protruding from a wall, paleontologist John-Paul Hodnett told CNN.

The sharks lived about 330 million years ago in what is known as the Late Mississippian geologic time period, when much of North America was covered by oceans. When they died, their remains were encased in sediment that eventually became the limestone where the cave formed.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/mammoth-cave-sharks-scn-trnd/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• The title was changed to Fossilized shark's head found in Mammoth cave

Pretty cool find.    Mammoth Cave is a great place to visit.   

When I was 8 years old, we had a family reunion in that area.  We were doing a tour of the cave.   My older brother (10) and I found a small hole in the wall and decided to enter it.  We ended up going through miles of tunnels.   Came out on the other side of the hill many hours later.  Turns out there was a search party out for us.  We had no idea how happy everyone was to see us when we got back.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

We had no idea how happy everyone was to see us when we got back.  

...safe and not fossilized... 

:yes:

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1