Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Jujo-jo

A modern day prophet?

114 posts in this topic

Habitat
1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Only if there is one set future

I have enough difficulty with just the one.

• Haha 1

Jujo-jo
3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don;t think we know, you can have intuitions that don't involve seeing the future, similarly clairvoyance, psychic abilities, if we accept they exist, but prediction of the future messes with free will. Seemingly !

Good answer! So true! 

Imaginarynumber1
5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Don't worry, I already believe some here are half-mad.

Alice in wonderland Cheshire Cat quote We are all mad here light parchment

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Habitat
4 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Alice in wonderland Cheshire Cat quote We are all mad here light parchment

"They" say that people who think they are mad, aren't, but people who insist they are not mad, might be. Maddening !

• Haha 1

XenoFish

If these prophets and psychics can actually predict the future, why aren't they winning the lottery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Piney
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If these prophets and psychics can actually predict the future, why aren't they winning the lottery. 

and preventing wars and disasters.

• Like 4

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

and preventing wars and disasters.

Instead they "chase ambulances".

• Thanks 1

Tom1200
On 2/1/2020 at 4:58 AM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I was banned for a while. My 'unique' commentary was just ahead of its time.

... doesn't that make YOU a bit of a prophet? ;)

How far is 'just ahead'?  Can you comment on, say, next week's lottery results?  Or have you lost this ability, hence the past tense 'was'?

Precognition is a bit of a catch-22.  If I dream that London is about to be attacked again by knife-wielding morons then I'm either right or wrong.  If I do nothing and it happens - was that a premonition or just a statistical likelihood?  But if I am so convinced of exactly where and when it will happen I might call the authorities.  Even if they dismiss me as a crank (and add me to various surveillance lists) they might send extra police to the location just in case, persuading the would-be terrorists to change their minds.  Or I could hang around the location waiting for something to happen and attract the attention of the law, which in turn prevents an attack.  

Or I might have got a few details wrong, like the date, the location, the type, the number involved, but still 'close enough' to convince gullible followers that I'm psychic.

That's certainly the approach of AoL - "I predict earthquakes, births, deaths, erm... politicians, erm... oceans... the Moon changing shape... terrorist attacks in Europe... erm..."  And I have yet to see any detailed prediction, certified as made before the occasion, that could pass as an accurate version of unknowable events.  (Please nobody quote Nostradamus's utterly ambiguous nonsense in response.)

I had a thought.  Not a very good one, but bear with me.  If Muskrat is right and we're living in a computer simulation there must be something running this, right?  And once in a while these systems have glitches or the thing watching gets bored.  So maybe a snippet of 'now' is accidentally/deliberately introduced into 'then' which continues to play from there.  Will the same future occur twice or will the knowledge be enough to alter it?  Catch-22 again.

Like the first time you play a game and you choose not to pick up a small hammer, but you then need it later to smash the glass to access the fire extinguisher that saves your life.  So next time you play you pick up the hammer.  Your character must be thinking - why did I do that dumb thing?  What use is a tiny hammer against fire-breathing dragon-orcs?

Sorry for the rambling gibberish - it's Sunday afternoon here and I'm a little bit tipsy.  But of course all you prophets already knew that!

Edited by Tom1200
punctuation
  • Thanks 1

Imaginarynumber1
7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Hey xeno why do you have such a negative view of prophets?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefreethinker/2020/02/prophet-asks-for-50-m-to-resurrect-kobe-bryant-and-his-daughter/

Gee, let me think...

That's all it takes to resurrect someone? I thought it would involve more blood magic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jujo-jo

Prophets predict the future, they are not superheros and they dont have armies....

• Like 1

Piney
On 2/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, XenoFish said:

Hey xeno why do you have such a negative view of prophets?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefreethinker/2020/02/prophet-asks-for-50-m-to-resurrect-kobe-bryant-and-his-daughter/

Gee, let me think...

Meanwhile Right Wing Watch reports that another imbecile  – American conspiracy theorist Chris McDonald, above, has suggested that “witchcraft” was used by Hillary Clinton to cause Bryant’s death.

:lol:

XenoFish
16 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

Prophets predict the future, they are not superheros and they dont have armies....

They don't predict the future, they make guesses. At most all they do is create what is know as a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

• Like 2

lightly

Some predictions turn out to be wrong.   A prediction needn't be correct to be a prediction. ?

• Thanks 1