Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exam cheats could use 'smart' sunglasses

Eldorado

"Sir John Dunford, who chaired a commission into exam malpractice set up by the Joint Council for Qualifications, said the pace of technological change led to "frightening possibilities" for pupils to cheat.

"Speaking at the second annual ethical leadership summit in central London, Sir John said he had seen high-tech sunglasses for sale online that could be used by pupils to send exam questions to someone else via the internet while sitting their papers."

Full monty at the TES: https://www.tes.com/news/warning-exam-cheats-could-use-smart-sunglasses

Good to see he's ahead of the game.

• Haha 2

And I used to think I was smart. On math exams, incidentally the ones I tried to cheat on the most but never actually did, I'd write formulas on the inside of my calculator case. The case was gray and the pencil lead was of course the same, so one had to be looking at it in just the right light to tell there's anything written on it. 

• Haha 1

Just ban watches and high tech or any sunglasses during  exams.

Why would anyone want to wear sunglasses during an exam anyway - unless they are cheating.

They do not need watches either, there is always a clock on the wall somewhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Just ban watches and high tech or any sunglasses during  exams.

Why would anyone want to wear sunglasses during an exam anyway - unless they are cheating.

They do not need watches either, there is always a clock on the wall somewhere.

This. Also easy enough to install short-range wifi blockers in classes although this doesn't preclude devices with sufficient room for built-in memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I did a bit of exam invidulating a couple of years ago the students all had to have clear pencil cases,use school calculator where permitted,the school also provided bottles of water so that no answers could be written on the labels and students had to hand in any electronic devices including watches and smart watches and just as an extra measure the school also had more of us watching in on the exams than were needed  

• Thanks 1