Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Peanut allergy drug approved by the US FDA

Still Waters

The US has approved its first treatment for peanut allergies in children.

The drug AR101, or Palforzia, uses oral immunotherapy, with children given tiny but increasing amounts of peanut protein over a six-month period under medical supervision.

After that, users must continue to take a daily dose to be able to tolerate accidental exposure.

The treatment is not a cure and makers warn that the risk of a potentially fatal anaphylactic reaction remains.

And patients must continue to avoid peanuts in their diet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51342048

https://news.sky.com/story/first-drug-to-treat-peanut-allergies-in-children-approved-in-us-11924388

• Like 3

So it's not a cure, you still can't have peanuts while taking the medication, and you have to take it daily.

Then what in the world is the point of taking this medication lol.

I mean I guess the point is obviously so you don't have to worry about dying from accidental exsposure. And the medicine is just refined peanut powder.  Just seems a little lack luster to me but perhaps it will lead to better in the future. Maybe they can start using that concept of low dose refined allergen exsposure to fight seasonal allergies in a healthier way.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What does peanuts and coffee beans have in common?

They both have deceptive names. Peanuts are peas, not nuts, and coffee beans are fruit pits, not beans.

So if you are allergic to nuts, you can probably eat peanuts.