Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

36% of Londoners have seen a "road ghost"

Eldorado

"A new survey by Selectcarleasing shows that one third of Londoners say they’ve encountered a spectre while behind the wheel.

"Folks in Scotland and North West England are also convinced there are more ‘dead’ things on the tarmac than just roadkill.

"And one in seven Brits overall (13 per cent) agreed with the statement: 'I believe I have seen a ghost when driving.'

"James O’Malley, Select Car Leasing company director, said: 'It’s not just ancient, creaking castles where spooks reside – because there’s almost as many ghosts as there are potholes on our haunted highways.'"

Full article at Cambridgeshire Live: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/how-many-motorists-think-theyve-17659688

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

When we were kids, we often heard a phantom bus. We could hear it doing the usual 21 route, turn into Woodcock Lane, go halfway down, then... nothing!

• Like 6

A new survey by Selectcarleasing shows that one third of Londoners say they’ve encountered a spectre while behind the wheel.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/how-many-motorists-think-theyve-17659688

Why would a car leasing company want to do a survey like this? Do you get a discount if you hire one of their cars to drive to said alleged haunted locations.

This guy should get himself an old pub, he has the knowhow in place to advertise a haunted pub story.

James O’Malley, Select Car Leasing company director, said: "It’s not just ancient, creaking castles where spooks reside – because there’s almost as many ghosts as there are potholes on our haunted highways!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-many-motorists-think-theyve-17659688.amp

Seems he is a believer, easy to get pictures of the potholes, surely he can get one of an alleged ghost.

Little side hobby for him? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Why would a car leasing company want to do a survey like this?

Maybe they're hoping people reading the article will share the link to their website, as you've just done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, acute said:

When we were kids, we often heard a phantom bus. We could hear it doing the usual 21 route, turn into Woodcock Lane, go halfway down, then... nothing!

Yep, when we were kids we heard many stories too. We had santa, unicorns and mermaids, then we grew up. :D

Was your bus ever seen by adults or was it just a kid thing? 

• Haha 3

@acute

You aint getting off with this nonsense just because it is hug a hedgehog day.:P

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

We only heard it. To try and see it, we would've had to race downstairs and out to the road every time a bus came!

It was heard by adults, though.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, acute said:

I can show you what it would've looked like! (unless it was invisible :yes:)

https://images.app.goo.gl/hrXiRt9wojQHbBRt9

Blakey2.gif

• Haha 4

Well, it gets back to what I've said many times here. With the internet and cable TV and increased opportunities for people to share and such we are seeing that the paranormal may be 'rare' but 'not all that rare'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People kept telling me and my mate about the Blue Bell hill ghost when we were working there but we never saw anything despite driving the road at all times of day,however on the plus side i did see my first ever mutjac deer in the wild 

• Like 6

How is 13% a third?
Anyway, I think people 'see' weird stuff when driving because (at least when on long drives in the countryside) it's very easy to zone out. Things zip by and your brain makes up details. It's totally different than midday city driving.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

How is 13% a third?
Anyway, I think people 'see' weird stuff when driving because (at least when on long drives in the countryside) it's very easy to zone out. Things zip by and your brain makes up details. It's totally different than midday city driving.

Maybe they meant a third-teenth ;)

33 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

How is 13% a third?

13% of Britons; 36% of Londoners.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

How is 13% a third?

I drive in the countryside a lot, personally I would prefer the zone outers would stop for a rest before they zone out.

If they see something strange then maybe seek the nearest farmer or country dweller before putting photos up on youtube of a tree stump or rabbits eyes and claiming they have seen a ghost. :D

I would even be prepared to take papaG out for a stroll one night through our woods ( no holding hands) and show him a few explainable spooks. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Well, it gets back to what I've said many times here. With the internet and cable TV and increased opportunities for people to share and such we are seeing that the paranormal may be 'rare' but 'not all that rare'.

You can take up my offer for a stroll through the country fields and woods, all you will need are wellies, a night vision camera and some balls. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never thought 36% of Londoners drive drunk. Britons! :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

You can take up my offer for a stroll through the country fields and woods, all you will need are wellies, a night vision camera and some balls. :D

You sent me off to the internet to find out what 'wellies' are. I hope they have a manly style though. I've got balls yes, but no night vision camera. 

But I'm not clear on what you are thinking will then happen.

P.S.  The Papameter  works well inside and outside.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In New orleans (we have plenty of hauntings), we have Mona Lisa lane by City Park. Dozens of drivers have seen her. I myself saw her at about 2am while taking a short cut To the nearby Metairie. She was wearing a flimsy white dress in the bitter cold of winter. I stopped and rolled down the passengers side window and asked if she needed a ride. As she waked up to my car, she faded into mist and vanished. I sped out of there, never to drive through Mona Lisa Lane ever again. I had several friends who had the same experience. Had I not seen it myself, I would not believe their stories. Here's an article about her.

https://nola.verylocal.com/haunted-nola-mona-lisa-the-heartbroken-ghost-of-city-park/104978/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 3:30 PM, freetoroam said:

Yep, when we were kids we heard many stories too. We had santa, unicorns and mermaids, then we grew up. :D

Okay I'm with you on Santa but unicorns and mermaids? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

Okay I'm with you on Santa but unicorns and mermaids? 

Sorry hun, yep, no unicorns or mermaids. 

Do not start crying on me, but if you do

pk1002_-6_unicorn_tissues-6.jpg

:D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Sorry hun, yep, no unicorns or mermaids. 

Do not start crying on me, but if you do

pk1002_-6_unicorn_tissues-6.jpg

:D

Thank you for the tissues however I may need another box:unsure2:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

Thank you for the tissues however I may need another box:unsure2:

s-l300.jpg

:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1