Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fighting the push for a cashless society

Eldorado

The negative interest rates idea is the big thing that makes me worry about a cashless society, but I am already effectively there.  Using a card for every transaction makes it easy to document all my finances and spot irregularities, alleviates the need to deal with bulky coins, and is more readily accepted than cash.  Renting something or staying at a hotel frequently can't be done with cash anymore- things I need to do for work.  (Getting airline miles or bonus points for making company purchases on a credit card for which I am reimbursed doesn't hurt either.)

Cash is still good for the "no questions asked" type purchases, though.  None of the married guys on the crew would dare go to a strip club and use a debit or credit card for example.  (One guy won't even go to a regular bar and use a credit card.) So I don't see cash disappearing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, K9Buck said:

Yea?  Do you agree with government dictating to private citizens how much they're allowed to charge for the use of their own property?  

yes, govt job is to regulate businesses, any type of businesses,  what type pf business do you run?  my guess, none.

6 hours ago, aztek said:

yes, govt job is to regulate businesses, any type of businesses,  what type pf business do you run?  my guess, none.

Why be insulting?  Because you dislike my opinion?  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, K9Buck said:

Yea?  Do you agree with government dictating to private citizens how much they're allowed to charge for the use of their own property?  

As opposed to protecting Citizens from being overcharged.

• Like 1

Just now, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

As opposed to protecting Citizens from being overcharged.

Should government regulate the price of everything in society?  

not everything, something needs to be regulated by gvmnt the rest is regulated by the market, you have no clue whatsoever about running a business, or any business regulations  in usa, get insulted all you want, but this is pretty clear from your posts.   educate yourself, or you will not stop being insulted if you keep it,

2 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

Should government regulate the price of everything in society?  

You appear to have pet peeves about laws that directly affect you adversely, but it would be impossible to clear the books of laws that do not disadvantage some people.

44 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You appear to have pet peeves about laws that directly affect you adversely, but it would be impossible to clear the books of laws that do not disadvantage some people.

Would you support the government cutting your income for making too much money?

Just now, K9Buck said:

Would you support the government cutting your income for making too much money?

Did you support the GFC "too big to fail" govt bail-outs ? Speaking of being penalised for making too much money, it is common practice of shopping mall owners to up the rent for store leaseholders, according to how successful the business is. That would be like you renting a house, and getting a pay rise, and the landlord ups the rent as a result. But, I guess you sign up to a lease, you are bound by it. 

Just now, Habitat said:

Did you support the GFC "too big to fail" govt bail-outs ? Speaking of being penalised for making too much money, it is common practice of shopping mall owners to up the rent for store leaseholders, according to how successful the business is. That would be like you renting a house, and getting a pay rise, and the landlord ups the rent as a result. But, I guess you sign up to a lease, you are bound by it. 

Do you want to answer my question?

Just now, K9Buck said:

Do you want to answer my question?

It is simple enough, if you sign up to a lease, you are bound, whether it is intrinsically "fair" or otherwise. If you sign up to living under a political system where govt "interferes" according to what the electorate allows by voting for the enactors of such laws, you are bound to accept that, or get other people elected, who won't so "interfere". The idea that govt should not interfere in the economy, well that is just BS, and the silence of the purists when the GFC bail-outs happened, was deafening !

Government interference in the economy is why there is so much poverty around the world.  Government often restricts the ability of people to work and be productive.  

Rent control is a process wherein the government dictates to private citizens how much they are allowed to charge for the use of their own property.  Hence, my question about whether one would approve of the government telling them that they're making too much money and cutting their pay.  That's what rent control does and it's very popular in jurisdictions controlled by leftist politicians.  A frequent response is that property owners stop renting their property and do something else with it.  This results in less available, affordable housing, drives up the cost of property values which then increases poverty and homelessness. Often times, people want government to fix a problem that it created.  

1 minute ago, K9Buck said:

Government interference in the economy is why there is so much poverty around the world.  Government often restricts the ability of people to work and be productive.  

Rent control is a process wherein the government dictates to private citizens how much they are allowed to charge for the use of their own property.  Hence, my question about whether one would approve of the government telling them that they're making too much money and cutting their pay.  That's what rent control does and it's very popular in jurisdictions controlled by leftist politicians.  A frequent response is that property owners stop renting their property and do something else with it.  This results in less available, affordable housing, drives up the cost of property values which then increases poverty and homelessness. Often times, people want government to fix a problem that it created.  

Where I live, there once was a "Fair Rent Court". Long gone, and only market forces apply. But there are seriously distorted laws in favour of landlords, specifically tax breaks on mortgage payments on houses rented. Enlightened govt would want more people buying their own homes, but such people get no such tax break.

12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Where I live, there once was a "Fair Rent Court". Long gone, and only market forces apply. But there are seriously distorted laws in favour of landlords, specifically tax breaks on mortgage payments on houses rented. Enlightened govt would want more people buying their own homes, but such people get no such tax break.

Should property owners be permitted to charge as much as they want for the use of their property?

Just now, K9Buck said:

Should property owners be permitted to charge as much as they want for the use of their property?

Yes, provided the landlords are not getting preferential tax treatment that the renters could not get, if they were the buyer of the house. In Australia, there is no tax concessions on your own home, but tax breaks on further houses owned that are rented out

never seen that in usa, and i work in commercial real estate,   business signs a 10 year lease, standard commercial lease,  sometimes with option of terminating it early,   and no matter how they do financially, landlord can not change price, what is in the lease, is what he gets.   that is possible due to gvmt rental regulations. if  we did not have that, they just might jack up rent, anytime they want.  gvmnt regulation is exactly why it does not happen. 

Every business should be required to accept cash as it is legal tender for all debts.   

I currently use both.   I also keep some cash hidden at home for emergencies.  

• Like 1

On February 3, 2020 at 6:55 AM, Gromdor said:

The negative interest rates idea is the big thing that makes me worry about a cashless society, but I am already effectively there.  Using a card for every transaction makes it easy to document all my finances and spot irregularities, alleviates the need to deal with bulky coins, and is more readily accepted than cash.  Renting something or staying at a hotel frequently can't be done with cash anymore- things I need to do for work.  (Getting airline miles or bonus points for making company purchases on a credit card for which I am reimbursed doesn't hurt either.)

Cash is still good for the "no questions asked" type purchases, though.  None of the married guys on the crew would dare go to a strip club and use a debit or credit card for example.  (One guy won't even go to a regular bar and use a credit card.) So I don't see cash disappearing. 

Honey,  what's this charge for $300 dollars at the ***** cat club ?   Oh, uh, it's a pet shop ...where I bought some cats ...for ..some really poor kids ..that really needed some cats.   . they didn't have any cats and . . begged me to buy some for them. .so I did.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lightly said:

Honey,  what's this charge for $300 dollars at the ***** cat club ?   Oh, uh, it's a pet shop ...where I bought some cats ...for ..some really poor kids ..that really needed some cats.   . they didn't have any cats and . . begged me to buy some for them. .so I did.  

The last time I went to the strippers was over a decade ago for a friends birthday.  We spent $400 on him and he didn't even break a smile.  The next day he came out of the closet.  $400 wasted.......

I'm too old to hang out with the younger crew members anyways.  Most I do is stop by the bar and make sure they aren't dead or arrested before going to the hotel to sleep.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:27 PM, Eldorado said:

"Once dominant, cash has been steadily overtaken by credit cards and a growing number of electronic and mobile options.

"Some countries, including the US, are even toying with plans for digital currencies.

"However, a growing number of places in the US are pushing back.

"In January, New York City passed a law requiring businesses to accept dollar bills. The measure followed similar steps in Philadelphia, San Francisco, and New Jersey.

"Several other cities, including Washington DC, are considering similar moves and Congress recently heard comments about a country-wide proposal."

Full article at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51214832

We need tangible item like gold to make the currency actually valuable. You can only have a certain amount of money depending on gold. Let's say you have gold bar costs 12 K, inflation will increase how much you got to spend to buy that bar when you want to retrieve that bar of gold. Removing the currency and going for a cashless system that isn't tied to any tangible object, then we are looking at runaway market that with wildly fluctuating prices which we see happening in MMOs around the world if it doesn't have a real world value.

Edited by Uncle Sam

On 2/2/2020 at 11:06 PM, lightly said:

We need cash...how would the guys playing guitars at store entrances make a living?!

Here in London, lots of them have contactless card machines... 

• Haha 1