Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery as skeletons found with hands tied

UM-Bot

17 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

Archaeologists have confirmed the discovery of over 40 skeletons in shallow graves at a building site in England.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/334293/mystery-as-skeletons-found-with-hands-tied

I have a question, how do they know for certain that their hands were tied, they state the bodies were in the ground for many years. Anything they would have been tied with would have deteriorated so how can they know for sure?

Peace

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have a question, how do they know for certain that their hands were tied, they state the bodies were in the ground for many years. Anything they would have been tied with would have deteriorated so how can they know for sure?

Peace

Position of wrists and soil staining. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Position of wrists and soil staining. 

I am still confused, how much soil staining would be left since they suspect the graves were from Norman times Wouldn't the arm bones just fall to the sides of corpse during decomposition and settling over 700 or 800 years?

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am still confused, how much soil staining would be left since they suspect the graves were from Norman times Wouldn't the arm bones just fall to the sides of corpse during decomposition and settling over 700 or 800 years?

Peace

Not if they were buried. They would stay in-situ.

Dating hasn't been done yet. The bodies could be from the slaughter of the Danes, William's handling of Saxon upstarts or the Civil War. In any case they were always buried in a pit so nobody had to smell them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not if they were buried. They would stay in-situ.

Dating hasn't been done yet. The bodies could be from the slaughter of the Danes, William's handling of Saxon upstarts or the Civil War. In any case they were always buried in a pit so nobody had to smell them. 

Cool, thanks

Peace

• Like 1

It reminds me of the mass grave found in Dorset a few years back containing 50 Viking skeletons, probably a captured raiding party, though they'd all had their heads hacked off.

Execution cemeteries are well known for Saxon England. Wouldn�t be surprised if they found post holes for gallows and giblets. These places usually lay on the borders of what we might now call parishes. As far from the village as possible without going into another 'parish'.

• Like 1

Sorry, double post.

Edited by Susanc241