Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biblical contradictions?

K9Buck

4 hours ago, Kenemet said:

With a hundred authors, things fall through the cracks.

The Urantia Book is such a book. It has dozens of authors and between them all, eventhough what's written in it is highly controversial, absolutely NOTHING is contradictory. :D

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The Urantia Book is such a book. It has dozens of authors and between them all, eventhough what's written in it is highly controversial, absolutely NOTHING is contradictory. :D

All of it is highly contradictory to the geological/paleontological record ;) 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Essan said:

All of it is highly contradictory to the geological/paleontological record ;) 

Yes, which is highly controversial but not contradictory with all the other things it says. :D

Especially those things that resolve the so-called contradictions of the Bible, who God really is, who Jesus really is and what religion really is. :P

Edited by Will Due

6 hours ago, Will Due said:

Yes, which is highly controversial but not contradictory with all the other things it says. :D

Especially those things that resolve the so-called contradictions of the Bible, who God really is, who Jesus really is and what religion really is. :P

Moot points for a newfangled religion.  Give me the real Old Time Religion... the Sumerians, Chinese, Egyptians.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Moot points for a newfangled religion.  Give me the real Old Time Religion... the Sumerians, Chinese, Egyptians.

Akhenaten then?

The teachings of Amenemope were slowly losing their hold on the Egyptian mind when, through the influence of an Egyptian Salemite physician, a woman of the royal family espoused the Melchizedek teachings. This woman prevailed upon her son, Ikhnaton, Pharaoh of Egypt, to accept these doctrines of One God.

The Remarkable Ikhnaton

Edited by Will Due

15 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Akhenaten then?

The Remarkable Ikhnaton

My LEAST favorite pharaoh.

No, I like the original version of the Egyptian religion.  Not the weird Akhenaten one where only the royal family talks to god and you give offerings to the royal family and the supreme deity is whatever the royal family says it is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

My LEAST favorite pharaoh.

No, I like the original version of the Egyptian religion.  Not the weird Akhenaten one where only the royal family talks to god and you give offerings to the royal family and the supreme deity is whatever the royal family says it is.

Oh :D

How about something real primitive like the ancient ghost cults?

Death was feared because death meant the liberation of another ghost from its physical body. The ancients did their best to prevent death, to avoid the trouble of having to contend with a new ghost. They were always anxious to induce the ghost to leave the scene of death, to embark on the journey to deadland. The ghost was feared most of all during the supposed transition period between its emergence at the time of death and its later departure for the ghost homeland, a vague and primitive concept of pseudo heaven.

Ghost Fear

4 hours ago, Will Due said:

Oh :D

How about something real primitive like the ancient ghost cults?

Ghost Fear

Those are only recorded in relatively modern times -- and they're cults, not religions.   Sumerian and Egyptian and Chinese religions are the oldest recorded religions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

they're cults, not religions.   

All religions are cults.

But a cult—a symbolism of rituals, slogans, or goals—will not function if it is too complex. And there must be the demand for devotion, the response of loyalty. Every effective religion unerringly develops a worthy symbolism, and its devotees would do well to prevent the crystallization of such a ritual into cramping, deforming, and stifling stereotyped ceremonials which can only handicap and retard all social, moral, and spiritual progress. No cult can survive if it retards moral growth and fails to foster spiritual progress. The cult is the skeletal structure around which grows the living and dynamic body of personal spiritual experience—true religion.

Nature of Cultism

I like to observe the sunset.  I make it my goal to do so every night I’m not playing golf if possible.  Tonight I was able to enjoy it with no wind, so it was especially nice.  Anyway, when I watch the sunset and observe darkness fall to illuminate the stars and planets....I get a peaceful easy feeling.  That is my religion.

Well it’s part of it.  It’s a meditation for me.  I reflect upon the day at that time and I re-learn some fundamental “truths” because I’m that thick headed and need to learn my lessons a lot.  I reflect and consider that life is hard and good.  Each day reflects that we must struggle to survive, and that there are good times and bad times all the time. That’s what life is.

Anyway.....the Bible does express what I did to some degree - actually Solomon crushed it - But you have to wade through a whole bunch of BS to find positive things IMO - and I don’t like that.  I feel that God would be much more precise if he were to write a book.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I feel that God would be much more precise if he were to write a book.

I wasn't aware she was in the writing business. I'm tipping she isn't pleased with people who make that claim ! The writers have yet to produce the franchise agreement.

36 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I wasn't aware she was in the writing business. I'm tipping she isn't pleased with people who make that claim ! The writers have yet to produce the franchise agreement.

Ok.  Not really sure what you’re talking about.  Have you been saucing a little?  If it’s not you, it’s prolly me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Ok.  Not really sure what you’re talking about.  Have you been saucing a little?  If it’s not you, it’s prolly me.

No, not me. Suffice to say, there is nothing to say the bible is the "word of God"

11 minutes ago, Habitat said:

No, not me. Suffice to say, there is nothing to say the bible is the "word of God"

How so?

Just now, Guyver said:

How so?

We absolutely know those words were produced by humans, as for being the "word of God", pure conjecture.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Habitat said:

We absolutely know those words were produced by humans, as for being the "word of God", pure conjecture.

Oh, I’m sorry.  I misunderstood you.  It was my fault.  You are absolutely correct.

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

I feel that God would be much more precise if he were to write a book..

He did..:D

Or to be more precise he told Jesus exactly what to say, so Jesus's words are God's words, how kool is that!-

Jesus said - "For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)

After his execution, some people said "Hey let's write it all down for posterity before we forget it.", and that's a bingo, the first gospels were written..Beats me why people today think they have to study the entire Bible when Jesus can be found in any slimline gospel like this one for a few pennies from bookshops or free from most Christian groups.

If people can't lock on to Jesus with one of these, they might as well go whistle Dixie, because all the intensive hard study of the whole Bible ain't gonna help them one iota-

rel-gosp-john.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crikey said:

Or to be more precise he told Jesus exactly what to say

Not like this ?

See the source image

I suspect he was quite an unworldly chappy.

2 hours ago, Crikey said:

He did..:D

Or to be more precise he told Jesus exactly what to say, so Jesus's words are God's words, how kool is that!-

Jesus said - "For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)

After his execution, some people said "Hey let's write it all down for posterity before we forget it.", and that's a bingo, the first gospels were written..Beats me why people today think they have to study the entire Bible when Jesus can be found in any slimline gospel like this one for a few pennies from bookshops or free from most Christian groups.

If people can't lock on to Jesus with one of these, they might as well go whistle Dixie, because all the intensive hard study of the whole Bible ain't gonna help them one iota-

rel-gosp-john.jpg

Image result for jesus memes you me

• Haha 1

I laughed at that, onlookerofmayhem, which is very likely a sin in itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Z3cR0xq.jpg

In christian theology christ died to remove original sin from  everyone It is this which then allows an individual's thoughts and behaviours (intha t same theology ) to determine their salvation or damnation

Jesus didn't die to absolve you of  your individual sins 

This requires confession of the sins(ie admitting them to the victim authorities and god)  sincere repentance and a promise to try to avoid that sin in future, and making recompenses restitution for any harm done 

THEN your own individual sins can also be forgiven if all aspects of the  process are genuine and sincere.

Christ CAN be the intercessor for confession of these individual sins You don't need a priest but also you can confess direct to god the father 

Christ is the popular choice for confession of individual sins  because he became man and understands mankind .   He can be a conduit to god the father, in christian theology  

• Like 1