Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Commercial pilot films strange 'metallic' UFO

UM-Bot

Alien mylar icosahedron ballon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Alien mylar icosahedron ballon.

Or a bunch of alien mylar balloon probably in a reproduction spawning?

Hmmmm... I'm assuming that it's actually moving quite slowly in respect to the ground, and that its apparent speed is due to the speed of the aircraft ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmmm... I'm assuming that it's actually moving quite slowly in respect to the ground, and that its apparent speed is due to the speed of the aircraft ? 

Jets fly above the clouds because there is no turbulence caused by...the clouds, weather, etc...but there is still 'wind' above the clouds...It could be just sailing along at a good clip...and also appearing faster because of the possible adjacent flight path of the jet.  A Weather Balloon for sure.

I had the unique pleasure of watching one burst through a pair of binoculars...

• Like 1

It appears to be an interdimensional 'mining reconnaissance' craft piloted by a sasquatch.

(Either that, or it's a weather balloon)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The view of the clouds in this video is more interesting to me than the balloon. We truly live on a beautiful and wondrous planet. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joc said:

Jets fly above the clouds because there is no turbulence caused by...the clouds, weather, etc...but there is still 'wind' above the clouds...It could be just sailing along at a good clip...and also appearing faster because of the possible adjacent flight path of the jet.  A Weather Balloon for sure.

I had the unique pleasure of watching one burst through a pair of binoculars...

Egads... the object burst through a pair of binoculars ? :o 

Where they damaged ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Egads... the object burst through a pair of binoculars ? :o 

Where they damaged ? 

No, the binoculars were fine...damn near blew my head completely off...but, I picked up the pieces as always and carried on!  B)

Can somebody smarter than me explain why a craft that appears that close to the clouds aren't affecting the clouds or leaving a trail of some sort? I would think that the speed of travel would affect the clouds in some way. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

Can somebody smarter than me explain why a craft that appears that close to the clouds aren't affecting the clouds or leaving a trail of some sort? I would think that the speed of travel would affect the clouds in some way. I could be wrong.

It's difficult to be entirely sure @jowasmus, but I think the object was WELL above the clouds ? 

It appears to me that the object is stationary, or moving very slowly. And seeing as how the camera was up and ready to go in advance, the pilots were no doubt given a warning by ATC so they could get a visual. I’m going with weather balloon.

The only problem with the weather balloon theory is that weather balloons are spheres and don't have bumps on them. I wonder if it might be a satellite of some sort that is de-orbiting. Even a balloon at that altitude can move FAST. Th jet-stream runs along at 150 to 200+ mph. There is no way to tell what is seen on this because you don't have any idea how far away it was or what its actual size is. With no reference points it could be almost any size.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, commercial airline pilot, probably had thousands of flying hours, sees this and films it due to it being out of place. 

Commentators on here, it's not moving v fast, probably a weather balloon... 

:w00t::angry::tsu: lol

• Like 1

Of course, in these days, irregular shape and specific altitude essentially mean nothing in this context.

Now, if it were doing weird stuff... like zipping around in a "controlled" manner... THAT might proffer a different interpretation. But it does not.

My opinion only.

8 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Yeah, commercial airline pilot, probably had thousands of flying hours, sees this and films it due to it being out of place. 

Commentators on here, it's not moving v fast, probably a weather balloon... 

:w00t::angry::tsu: lol

Yeah, I'm all for pointing out bunk. And, sure it could easily be a balloon. But there's not enough info to come to a conclusion. Anything a pilot says or photographs about UFOs also gets my attention much more than phone footage from some rando on the ground.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, RoofGardener said:

It's difficult to be entirely sure @jowasmus, but I think the object was WELL above the clouds ? 

Okay. Thanks for your opinion. I'll admit, I'm ignorant on such matters & I thought it was skimming the clouds. It just surprised me the clouds weren't being disturbed by the object. Being a skeptic, I always look for how things are being faked, but I will leave room for me being wrong.

I've yet to see evidence that complex-shaped, metallic-looking balloons are readily available. This thing appears to be not so much a sphere as a hexagon in outline. An octahedron (8 sided),  dodecahedron (12 sided), or icosahedron (20-sided) solid can, in certain orientations, appear hexagonal in outline. Structure supporting a complex shape is visible within the outline of the object.   

The only information I can see in the video is when the camera is showing the instrument panel. The aircraft is at 29,700 ft and in a slow climb with nose angled up at about 2.5 dg. 

I would guess the object is 5-10 ft in diameter and maybe 500ft below the jet.  From it being just visible to passing the aircraft takes around 15 sec. 

On 2/4/2020 at 3:32 PM, simplybill said:

It appears to me that the object is stationary, or moving very slowly. And seeing as how the camera was up and ready to go in advance, the pilots were no doubt given a warning by ATC so they could get a visual. I’m going with weather balloon.

Indeed.  It's quite obvious from the video that the object was either seen in advance, or was expected.   Hence the shot to the control dials before looking out through the window and zooming in on the exact spot.

• Like 1

The goal of many balloon launchers is to reach the 100k foot mark. This is low for a balloon. As such it would be lightly inflated to avoid bursting till after it crosses the 100k mark. As such the shape of the balloon could be due to it being acted upon by the wind and it rotating. Another possibility is that there is a structure around the balloon which supports the payload.

Other possibilities:

1. The shape is due to a loose netting that fits over the balloon to support a heavier payload.

2. The balloon has burst and what we see is the payload descending.

3. The balloon did not burst and is deflating.

When launching a balloon it is normal for the launcher to inform the FAA of the event.

• Like 1