Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Entity in graveyard

Aodhanc

Hi guys just wanted to know your thoughts/theories on an experience I had a couple years ago. I find this quite hard to talk about because it was quite a traumatic experience for me. So, it was about 9PM and exactly-8°C. There’s a graveyard I have to walk through as a shortcut home. It’s not a particularly old graveyard, the oldest graves there are from the 80s. A lot of the street lights weren’t working which isn’t unusual for this area, so I was walking using my phone flashlight. I was also talking to my friend on the phone for comfort. As I was walking past the graveyard I shined my flashlight towards it and about two graves away from the footpath there was someone/something there praying. I can clearly remember what they looked like, they were very short and slim, probably just under 5ft. The clothing they were wearing was not at all suitable for the weather, it was an all black outfit, similar to a suit but thinner and could have been a one piece. The scariest thing about them was their face, which was the most featureless face I have ever seen. Their ears were extremely small, as was their nose and I couldn’t see their eyes because of a combination of both the lighting and the fact that the bone structure around their eyes was really wide and deep. They didn’t react to me shining the light at them and I proceeded to get away as fast as I could. When I was almost out of the graveyard, I shined my light back and this thing was still there motionless but they had moved away from their original spot. They had moved about two graves forward and were standing behind a gravestone, staring at me. I could only see their face (not their eyes, again) and very weak shoulders. The strangest thing about this was the fact that I saw them so clearly, at least as well as I would if I shined a flashlight at someone in the dark. It was a very traumatic experience and I had recurring nightmares about it for about a month. I’m really just sharing this to see if anyone has had a similar experience, and to get over it.

• Like 2

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

What about it scared you? Why did you need to call someone to talk to "comfort" you? Graveyards frighten you?

Are you so sure it could not have been a normal, perhaps deformed person grieving after dark to avoid people staring at them like a freak or ghoul? 

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.  :st

I have never had an experience in a grave yard but someone might have something helpful or useful for you to think about.  Since none of us was there take any advice or comments with a grain of salt unless you find them helpful.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

What about it scared you? Why did you need to call someone to talk to "comfort" you? Graveyards frighten you?

Are you so sure it could not have been a normal, perhaps deformed person grieving after dark to avoid people staring at them like a freak or ghoul? 

I’m sure it wasn’t a person, it was -8°C and they were wearing thin, black clothing. My first reaction was pure terror, it’s hard to describe. I find it hard to even think about it because it was quite traumatic. 

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Could it have been a homeless person? 

Definitely not a person. It was -8°C and they were wearing thin, black clothing. They were humanoid but didn’t look like a person.

6 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

And just to add, the feeling I got wasn’t the kind of feeling you get when someone scares you in the dark. It was a feeling of pure dread suddenly kicking me in the stomach. I’ve never felt anything like it and I hope I never will again.

What kind of dork goes wandering through a cemetery on a freezing night shining a phone light ? I'm tipping the kid that saw you, probably posted a story about being petrified by a dark presence with a single luminous eye.

11 hours ago, Habitat said:

What kind of dork goes wandering through a cemetery on a freezing night shining a phone light ? I'm tipping the kid that saw you, probably posted a story about being petrified by a dark presence with a single luminous eye.

I go through there regularly no problem. Really doubtful it was a kid because of how cold it was, the type of clothing they were wearing and the fact that they didn’t seem to react to light and their only movement was when I wasn’t looking. You don’t have to believe anything I say, this is just me trying to get over something that still affects me.

• Like 1

@Aodhanc   I have heard of a well-known phenomena called a graveyard ghost/spook. The theory is that when we die our etheric energy body continues for some time and degrades and breaks down to its elements. This will produce shriveled degrading forms in a graveyard. This is where things like skeleton ghosts and such where inspired.

In this model we have a physical body with an interpenetrating etheric body and astral/mental body. At death the physical and etheric bodies will separately degrade on their own and return to the elements. The good news is the astral/mental body remains fully alive and moves on to the higher astral planes for the so-called afterlife experience.

No need to worry about anything as the decaying physical and etheric bodies are not going to harm you but they can be grotesque to our normal expectations. The etheric body still has energy for its own independent movement for some time.

I can't say for sure what you saw but that is one thought on what you may have experienced.

• Thanks 1

The whole thing reads like a fictional story, too many specific details. Who remembers the exact temp on any given day? I've seen idiots running around in shorts in weather colder than that.

Edited by moonman

23 hours ago, Aodhanc said:

Hi guys just wanted to know your thoughts/theories on an experience I had a couple years ago. I find this quite hard to talk about because it was quite a traumatic experience for me. So, it was about 9PM and exactly-8°C. There’s a graveyard I have to walk through as a shortcut home. It’s not a particularly old graveyard, the oldest graves there are from the 80s. A lot of the street lights weren’t working which isn’t unusual for this area, so I was walking using my phone flashlight. I was also talking to my friend on the phone for comfort. As I was walking past the graveyard I shined my flashlight towards it and about two graves away from the footpath there was someone/something there praying. I can clearly remember what they looked like, they were very short and slim, probably just under 5ft. The clothing they were wearing was not at all suitable for the weather, it was an all black outfit, similar to a suit but thinner and could have been a one piece. The scariest thing about them was their face, which was the most featureless face I have ever seen. Their ears were extremely small, as was their nose and I couldn’t see their eyes because of a combination of both the lighting and the fact that the bone structure around their eyes was really wide and deep. They didn’t react to me shining the light at them and I proceeded to get away as fast as I could. When I was almost out of the graveyard, I shined my light back and this thing was still there motionless but they had moved away from their original spot. They had moved about two graves forward and were standing behind a gravestone, staring at me. I could only see their face (not their eyes, again) and very weak shoulders. The strangest thing about this was the fact that I saw them so clearly, at least as well as I would if I shined a flashlight at someone in the dark. It was a very traumatic experience and I had recurring nightmares about it for about a month. I’m really just sharing this to see if anyone has had a similar experience, and to get over it.

There is really nothing anyone can tell you about this experience. You had the chance to solve the mystery when it happened, but you chose not to do it. I am not attacking you for your actions, I am just stating the facts as I see them. I know what I am saying is a little harsh, but it is also true. So please don't fake offense.

Welcome to the forum.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

8 hours ago, Aodhanc said:

I go through there regularly no problem. Really doubtful it was a kid because of how cold it was, the type of clothing they were wearing and the fact that they didn’t seem to react to light and their only movement was when I wasn’t looking. You don’t have to believe anything I say, this is just me trying to get over something that still affects me.

My apologies for any flippancy, but I suppose you probably did have the possibility of solving the mystery right there, by saying hello, or asking the "person" if they were OK, and certainly when it was you who was shining a light on them, and they could not see you lit. That in itself, is slightly offensive, to shine the light on them, and not say anything. You aren't the police, and the light was to light your way through  the grounds, not sight-see.

18 minutes ago, Habitat said:

My apologies for any flippancy, but I suppose you probably did have the possibility of solving the mystery right there, by saying hello, or asking the "person" if they were OK, and certainly when it was you who was shining a light on them, and they could not see you lit. That in itself, is slightly offensive, to shine the light on them, and not say anything. You aren't the police, and the light was to light your way through  the grounds, not sight-see.

Not really looking to argue about the topic, just looking for an answer. I can’t really explain to someone who wasn’t there how it was, but as I said the lights weren’t working (which isn’t unusual) I didn’t shine the light because I saw something, I just got a creepy feeling. As I’ve said the fact that it was cold and they were wearing very thin clothing, not moving at all and their general appearance is the reason I’m looking for answers, not some debate. 

5 hours ago, moonman said:

The whole thing reads like a fictional story, too many specific details. Who remembers the exact temp on any given day? I've seen idiots running around in shorts in weather colder than that.

I remember the specific temperature because a friend had mentioned it just a couple minutes before we parted ways. That weather is cold enough to get hypothermia, by the way. I’m not looking to argue about it, I just want to know if others know anything about the topic.

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

@Aodhanc   I have heard of a well-known phenomena called a graveyard ghost/spook. The theory is that when we die our etheric energy body continues for some time and degrades and breaks down to its elements. This will produce shriveled degrading forms in a graveyard. This is where things like skeleton ghosts and such where inspired.

In this model we have a physical body with an interpenetrating etheric body and astral/mental body. At death the physical and etheric bodies will separately degrade on their own and return to the elements. The good news is the astral/mental body remains fully alive and moves on to the higher astral planes for the so-called afterlife experience.

No need to worry about anything as the decaying physical and etheric bodies are not going to harm you but they can be grotesque to our normal expectations. The etheric body still has energy for its own independent movement for some time.

I can't say for sure what you saw but that is one thought on what you may have experienced.

Thanks so much, closest description I’ve heard on any forum yet, it means a lot.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aodhanc said:

I wish the whole thing didn’t happen 

The more you focus on it. The more it will affect you. Next time take some safety precautions, a small led flashlight and some pepper spray just to be safe.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aodhanc said:

Not really looking to argue about the topic, just looking for an answer. I can’t really explain to someone who wasn’t there how it was, but as I said the lights weren’t working (which isn’t unusual) I didn’t shine the light because I saw something, I just got a creepy feeling. As I’ve said the fact that it was cold and they were wearing very thin clothing, not moving at all and their general appearance is the reason I’m looking for answers, not some debate. 

It could have been a dummy or a scarecrow type of affair, but whatever it was, it was not acting in a menacing way to you, but shining a light on its face, might have been thought that way, by who or whatever it was. I would not worry about a noiseless, motionless, who knows what, I think you were in a state of mind to be wary, when the lights were out, and imagination made it a matter of being apprehensive. No harm done. It wasn't Freddy Krueger.

19 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It could have been a dummy or a scarecrow type of affair, but whatever it was, it was not acting in a menacing way to you, but shining a light on its face, might have been thought that way, by who or whatever it was. I would not worry about a noiseless, motionless, who knows what, I think you were in a state of mind to be wary, when the lights were out, and imagination made it a matter of being apprehensive. No harm done. It wasn't Freddy Krueger.

It wasn’t a dummy as it did move forward when I was leaving. There was no real harm done but I’ve had a lot of nightmares about this.

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The more you focus on it. The more it will affect you. Next time take some safety precautions, a small led flashlight and some pepper spray just to be safe.

Pepper spray is illegal in my country haha. I’m not really expecting it to happen again, it did happen about two years ago now.

Could you even tell if it was male or female? It had to be standing for you to know their height, so how could you tell it was praying? And if it was praying, why would that terrify you?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 1:40 PM, Aodhanc said:

So sorry you had this experience, it does sound pretty creepy.   I've never had anything like that happen, but have had a few other experiences with the paranormal.   Just try to see it as behind you and over with.   If you ever get caught in that graveyard without light like that again say a prayer to the Lord for protection or look for another route to where you are going.