Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When The Poltergeist Finds Its Voice

macqdor

When The Poltergeist Finds Its Voice

By Tim R. Swartz

A poltergeist distinguishes itself from traditional ghosts and hauntings. Could a poltergeist be something entirely different?

It can be terrifying enough when a poltergeist makes its appearance in a household. Rocks thrown about, strange bangs on the walls, moving furniture, items disappearing and then reappearing, this is enough to set anyone on edge. However, when a poltergeist finds its voice and starts to talk, you know that events have decidedly taken a turn for the worse.

Poltergeist activity has been recorded throughout history and is probably the most prolific of all supernatural events. One of the earliest accounts was from around 500 C.E. when St. Germain, Bishop of Auxerre, was bothered by a spirit that battered the walls of a shelter the Bishop was spending the night in with showers of rocks. Another early case was the Bingen poltergeist, which comes from the Annales Fuldenses or Annals of Fulda. This incident happened near Bingen in present-day Bavaria around 856–858 C.E. A farmer was plagued by a stone-throwing ghost who shook the walls of his house “as though the men of the place were striking it with hammers,” set crops on fire and also shouted obscenities and accusations at the farmer suggesting that he had slept with the daughter of his foremen. The poltergeist would follow the man around and fearful neighbors would refuse to allow him near their homes.

Is A Poltergeist A Ghost?

Poltergeist phenomenon is often placed in the same niche as ghosts and hauntings. The implication is that a poltergeist is a ghost, i.e. a human that has died and returned in spirit form. There is no doubt that there are similarities between ghosts and poltergeist activity. However, a ghostly haunting often tends to have the visual element; for example, a glowing figure dressed in old fashioned clothes is seen walking down a hallway. A haunting also repeats in the same way on a regular basis, much like a recording that is played back over and over. In long-term ghostly hauntings, a ghost will usually ignore entreaties from the living and shows no sign of awareness of its surroundings.

0*Y15EMed0frTQbVc4.?q=20
0*Y15EMed0frTQbVc4.

The Demon Drummer of Tedworth, 1662

Poltergeist activity, instead, operates in a completely different fashion. A poltergeist almost never makes an “appearance” and becomes visible, but as with ghostly hauntings, there are always exceptions. A poltergeist can do things such as move heavy furniture, instantaneously teleport objects, produce explosive sounds and disgusting odors, create rain inside a building, cause spontaneous fires and other things that seem to be outside of our current understanding of physics

More reading here.........................

https://medium.com/@timswartz_33663/when-the-poltergeist-finds-its-voice-2c995d2bcd85

The poltergeist is unconscious telekinesis or manifestation caused by stress arising from repressed/unfulfilled sexual desire.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

The poltergeist is unconscious telekinesis or manifestation caused by stress arising from repressed/unfulfilled sexual desire.

That was a popular past belief.  The theory no longer holds water.

Telekinesis aka RSPK doesn't even explain 1% of reported phenomena surrounding "geist" outbreaks.

• Like 1

Just now, macqdor said:

That was a popular past belief.  The theory no longer holds water.

Telekinesis aka RSPK doesn't even explain 1% of reported phenomena surrounding "geist" outbreaks.

Erm yes it does, and I have done it myself.

14 minutes ago, macqdor said:

You might have done it.  But you're not a poltergeist.

a poltergeist is a malevolent spirit.   

Mind has primacy meaning that the external universe (including a persons body) manifests from it, not the other way around.

Your mind manifests a body, but at the same time you repress a lot of your mind down into your unconscious. For example, you repress your dark side because its socially unacceptable. The repressed mind, which is that aspect of yourself you dis-identify from, has primacy too.

It can also manifest itself a body and put in an appearance. Or just move things. It is all done by your repressed mind to get your conscious minds attention because it wants acknowledgement that it exists and then re-integration. It happens when you are subjected to stress which you cannot resolve because what you need to resolve it is being repressed by you.

Teenage women living in sexually repressed households are forced to supress their sexual urges. They cannot express themselves sexually, they have to behave as nuns because of how strict their parents are, and when they encounter stress because they cannot express themselves sexually then the poltergeist activity starts.

In the Bible there are stories of people encountering great hardship and taking it on the chin by turning the other cheek. Our society trains us in such a way that we must fight against our problems and overcome them. That is as opposed to letting problems exist and letting ourselves experience the stress experienced with them. But none of us are parting Red Seas or resurrecting the dead. Repress the hardships impact on you, repress your desire to react or take action, dis-identify from it. Just let yourself go through the stress, then you will be amazed that correction action occurs via unconscious telekinesis.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Poltergeists are malevolent entities that often feed off the energy of teenage angst. They are different to the ghost of your 'dead' grandmother trying to attract your attention, for example.

As a psychic, but not a medium, I haven't yet figured out where "low spirits" fit into what I've learned so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, acute said:

Poltergeists are malevolent entities that often feed off the energy of teenage angst. They are different to the ghost of your 'dead' grandmother trying to attract your attention, for example.

As a psychic, but not a medium, I haven't yet figured out where "low spirits" fit into what I've learned so far.

They arent feeding off the person, they are annoying them.

They are after the persons attention, they want the person to acknowledge that they exist. It is the persons own shadow seeking to become whole again with their conscious mind. They are mistaken for being pure evil because they are. They are the persons dark repressed side.

They do not harm people, they watch, and desperately try to get the persons attention. When the person ignores them (ignores their repressed side) and are going through stress where they need what they are repressing then it puts in appearances. If it gets ignored it throws things and crashes about.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Malevolent spirits , poltergeist included feed off and relish in negative energy. They feed off energy period.   Vexation, Angst, Uncertainty, fear are their favorite bed fellows.

its incorrect to assume that poltergeist center around teenage girls. That's an outdated concept with little hardly to any facts to support it.  Most poltergeist case (the world over) believe or not don't involve adolescent teens.

if you read POLTERGEISTS:AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF WORKS IN ENGLISH,CIRCA 1880-1975 you'll see that most poltergeist don't involve teenagers or females at all.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Malevolent spirits , poltergeist included feed off and relish in negative energy. They feed off energy period.   Vexation, Angst, Uncertainty, fear are their favorite bed fellows.

its incorrect to assume that poltergeist center around teenage girls. That's an outdated concept with little hardly to any facts to support it.  Most poltergeist case (the world over) believe or not don't involve adolescent teens.

if you read POLTERGEISTS:AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF WORKS IN ENGLISH,CIRCA 1880-1975 you'll see that most poltergeist don't involve teenagers or females at all.

The need to dis-identify from anything evil or dark prevents a person looking at where else evil and darkness exists.

At the core of our being exists so much light but also so much darkness. The need to dis-identify from the evil side our of nature results in us externalising it as belonging to other(s). It never entertains most peoples mind that the source of the malevolent spirit is actually themselves.

The more repressed a person is the more anything unpalatable belongs to others, but not themselves. These are exactly the type of people who have problems with malevolent spirits. They are broken people, totally split in two, multiple identities, the accepted and the repressed identities, the Jackal and Hyde.

The highest possible that a person can reach is the repression of all. No accepted, only a repressed identity. Someone in a complete state of non-attachment to everything. Then the paranormal activity really begins.

Edited by RabidMongoose

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

If that were true my roof would fly to the moon.

• Haha 6

There's no data within the believing community to suggest that "repressed emotions conjures up poltergeist."   No split personality syndrome.  That theory is equally outdated as the teenage girl.  The parapsychology community needs the repressed emotions theory to stick to support belief that TK and RSPK is real.

If you got specific cases to cite I'd love to see them?

26 minutes ago, macqdor said:

I said teenage, not teenage girl.

However..... The peak of the poltergeist activity that I experienced in my childhood coincided with my teenage sister going through a deeply troubled phase.

Edited by acute

Poltergeist cases lies a conundrum: how can an apparently physical phenomenon have psychological facets? Electromagnetism, for example, appears to follow well-known rules which exclude any psychological effects. But was this always the case? In the distant past, electromagnetic phenomena (such as lightning, static electricity, Saint Elmo’s fire and magnetism) were almost always interpreted as “supernatural” phenomena and ascribed to hypothetical “agents”; gods, spirits and demons. It may be that we are now doing exactly the same thing with many “Fortean” phenomena such as poltergeists, UFOs and strange nocturnal lights, which are often ascribed to agents such as discarnate spirits, aliens or even fairies! However, although not understood, these phenomena may be perfectly understandable. In the case of the (admittedly controversial) Rosenheim poltergeist, for example, two physicists from the Max Planck Institute (Karger and Zicha) concluded that they were dealing with “new physics”, and there are clear indications in many poltergeist cases that real, unknown physical processes are involved. For example, objects (such as stones) that seem to appear from nowhere are very often found to be warm or hot to the touch (I first came across this in the case of the Lisieux poltergeist, not well-known even in France, in which apples appeared to pass through a closed door, making popping sounds as they did so. They were hot). Then there are real problems with the modern superstition of “Recurrent Spontaneous Psychokinesis (RSPK)” by a young person or a child: 1) First of all, if Recurrent Spontaneous Psychokinesis exists, and is capable of moving large objects such as furniture, why have we NEVER come across anybody who can do this consciously? 2) Where does the energy to move large objects come from? The human brain only generates about 23 watts, which is far from enough. And by what mechanism could this energy be converted into kinetic effects? 3) The woolly thinking of modern parapsychologists has led to a dogmatic superstition that “disturbed” young people or children are the “foci” of poltergeist phenomena, as they are involved in a high percentage of cases. They conveniently ignore the fact that adults, for example, are involved in 100% of cases! In other words, this idea is complete BS baseless

@acute  great article to read.

http://www.strangehistory.net/2015/11/06/the-wesley-ghost-1-introduction/

This thread is riddled with dogmatic assertions. It is enough to cope with, to assimilate the phenomenon as real, than start speculating about the how and why. I have experienced plenty of it, the fact it co-incided with the death of a close family member, tells me it is of that origin, in at least some cases. I never noticed anything malicious, but it certainly frightened the poor old ***** cat !

@acute

"...........................Poltergeist cases lies a conundrum: how can an apparently physical phenomenon have psychological facets? Electromagnetism, for example, appears to follow well-known rules which exclude any psychological effects. But was this always the case? In the distant past, electromagnetic phenomena (such as lightning, static electricity, Saint Elmo’s fire and magnetism) were almost always interpreted as “supernatural” phenomena and ascribed to hypothetical “agents”; gods, spirits and demons. It may be that we are now doing exactly the same thing with many “Fortean” phenomena such as poltergeists, UFOs and strange nocturnal lights, which are often ascribed to agents such as discarnate spirits, aliens or even fairies! However, although not understood, these phenomena may be perfectly understandable. In the case of the (admittedly controversial) Rosenheim poltergeist, for example, two physicists from the Max Planck Institute (Karger and Zicha) concluded that they were dealing with “new physics”, and there are clear indications in many poltergeist cases that real, unknown physical processes are involved. For example, objects (such as stones) that seem to appear from nowhere are very often found to be warm or hot to the touch (I first came across this in the case of the Lisieux poltergeist, not well-known even in France, in which apples appeared to pass through a closed door, making popping sounds as they did so. They were hot). Then there are real problems with the modern superstition of “Recurrent Spontaneous Psychokinesis (RSPK)” by a young person or a child: 1) First of all, if Recurrent Spontaneous Psychokinesis exists, and is capable of moving large objects such as furniture, why have we NEVER come across anybody who can do this consciously? 2) Where does the energy to move large objects come from? The human brain only generates about 23 watts, which is far from enough. And by what mechanism could this energy be converted into kinetic effects? 3) The woolly thinking of modern parapsychologists has led to a dogmatic superstition that “disturbed” young people or children are the “foci” of poltergeist phenomena, as they are involved in a high percentage of cases. They conveniently ignore the fact that adults, for example, are involved in 100% of cases! In other words, this idea is complete BS baseless
@acute  great article to read......"

http://www.strangehistory.net/2015/11/06/the-wesley-ghost-1-introduction/

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Imagination, imagination, it's all just one's imagination.

In some cases it turns out to be abusers and the poltergeist is the lame attempt at a cover up for their violent acts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Imagination, imagination, it's all just one's imagination.

In your case it is supposition and more supposition. You would not know.

6 minutes ago, stereologist said:

In some cases it turns out to be abusers and the poltergeist is the lame attempt at a cover up for their violent acts.

As it stands, if there isn't factual evidence to support the existence of any paranormal entities, it is just belief and imagination. Once (not likely) they find the Casper the friendly ghost particle then the woo crew might have something useful. Until then; same song, same dance. I don't even care how psychic someone pretends to be.

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

As it stands, if there isn't factual evidence to support the existence of any paranormal entities, it is just belief and imagination. Once (not likely) they find the Casper the friendly ghost particle then the woo crew might have something useful. Until then; same song, same dance. I don't even care how psychic someone pretends to be.

They say the scoffer will never "see the face of God", I am certain the scoffer never sees the manifestation we call poltergeist, a strong hint I think, that these are not of the mundane. As for evidence, kudos to a poster on these board recently, that the paranormal will not be isolated by looking within the normal, which is really just common sense.

This thread is riddled with dogmatic assertions. It is enough to cope with, to assimilate the phenomenon as real, than start speculating about the how and why. I have experienced plenty of it, the fact it co-incided with the death of a close family member, tells me it is of that origin, in at least some cases. I never noticed anything malicious, but it certainly frightened the poor old ***** cat !

There's more data that links "geist" activity with the passing away of an individual than there is of RSPK.  Which IMO suggests a spirit presence or spirit connection.

is the poltergeist the spirit of the individual that passed?   Possibly? Or it could an opportunistic spirit seeking to take advantage of a grief stricken home, etc.

5 minutes ago, macqdor said:

is the poltergeist the spirit of the individual that passed?

Seems that way to me, but could be different in other cases. Although one ought be very surprised by it ( I was less so than I might have imagined) I was actually quite surprised by the ability to manipulate electronic devices, especially smoke alarms, and not just in one place.