Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Crazy Horse

Love - Peace - Wisdom

141 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Crazy Horse
On 2/9/2020 at 2:19 AM, Horta said:

No, love can't be feigned, nor forced. It's either there or it isn't. In normal people anyway. It's a strong emotion, one that would generally make "inner peace" more difficult.

It has fondness and affection at it's base (only a stronger emotion than that). If you have the chemical cocktail in your nervous system and resulting neural activity that has you feeling love for everyone, some psych/neuroscience departments would probably enjoy studying that (it can be studied objectively). So far similar "loving" and "peaceful" (but not specifically the same) conscious states have been studied, but these are "altered" states that are very short.

What is more likely when people say this, is that they are fooling themselves (or trying to fool others). So far this covers 100% that I have encountered, but who knows? Not a problem of course, humans are easily deluded and this seems another harmless delusion where people like to think of themselves as more than they are. As Feynman said..."the first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person too fool". It can be problematic though, it certainly is in religious/new age cults where it evolves into full blown delusional narcissism, which is common. It's pie in the sky, airy fairy new age nonsense.

Entire culture have been erased and wars fought because of such "love". It's probably best kept within that close circle of familiars, as it has less potential for problems when it goes wrong as it often does.

Somehow if people talked less about "love" but looked at their bigotry and ability to hate and tried to confront that and do something about it in a practical way, that would seem more realistic and helpful.

The lack of depth in that appraisal is stunning lol. That the founder of one the world's great ancient philosophies was considered the very embodiment of compassion itself, might hint at something more than that. 

People don't drop bombs on cities, burn others at the stake, or erase entire cultures simply because they are compassionate. Unlike the "love" of those thinking they are "special" or "spiritually advanced" or whatever...which has been an underlying motive in all of those things.

Compassion is an evolved and also a learned response to suffering, one that is worth having and has the possibility of being further cultivated. Not only where humans are concerned, but it can be extended to the other creatures we share the planet with. Though it isn't available to a percentage of the population with certain ASPD traits, most people have it in some measure. In general a change in certain attitudes and ignorance levels will change it by extension. It's something that is practical at least.

When someone claims to have unrealistic special abilities that basically deny their humanity, it's worth being sceptical of that....

Any progress towards a more peaceful existence, and a greater sense of unity, love etc, starts with a decision. Then you try, and occasionally you will succeed. Over time this becomes a habit. Everything changes including our own experience of this world, only some folk sail through life without a compass and rudderless.

Your heart never lies. Your mind, logic and reason can be corrupted, but feelings emanating from the heart, (just put your awareness there) are real, THAT is the truth, subjective and beautiful. And why would I want to try and fool folks into feeling better, more at home in this world, with a greater capacity to love and create, what's in it for me, and what's in it for You?

I have looked at the bigotry and the ability to hate, and, I have seen the conclusions of such an attitude, and the only practical and realistic way to help is to consciously change you perception of life, and therefore your experience too. From a separate, me, me, me attitude, towards a more enlightened, thoughtful, mindful, expression of our human experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Crazy Horse
On 2/9/2020 at 6:41 AM, Horta said:

It's interesting the extent to which modern societies define and promote various types of (this vague concept accepted as) "love", both conceptually and practically. As if its mere mention is some panacea and all who have it (or claim to) are wonderful. The more socially acceptable and rare or special the version you have, the more special you must be. It's never a problem, it can only be good. I doubt that. That over simplistic sentiment has spawned a thousand brainwashing cults. The idea you can become some"love machine" with peace and wisdom simply because it sounds good, is about as realistic as deciding you'll now be a genius, simply because it sounds good. It overlooks what humans are, to begin with.

Generally people who go on about having it do so for their own emotional benefit... Either for personal emotional reasons or they are bound by an unrealistic ideal from some doctrine where all encompassing love is mentioned as a necessity...

Love of things like money, power and prestige (along with things like self indulgence) are the cornerstones of modern society. These ideals even control "democracy" itself ensuring inequality and suffering for many. A system we're born into with no possibility of escape, unless you find a way to live "traditionally". At it's base the monetary systems we have which really controls society underneath it all, despite its successes in many ways, is a totally sociopathic doctrine in any societal sense. Eventually it has no possibility other than societal dysfunction (not to mention it's effects on nature).

So it's understandable that in such an environment people create personas where they or others are all loving, peaceful, wise etc. Religious fantasy seems to have the same origin, a placebo for suffering. The "sigh of the oppressed creature". Not that (realistic) self improvement isn't a worthy goal.

For anyone who claims special powers of love, peace, wisdom and so forth, instead of bragging about it there is something practical you can do. The local psychology or neuroscience dept. at your university can study and might even be able to verify many of your claims. So that it can be learned about and understood, possibly helping others that way. The reason this won't happen and never does, seems obvious.

That's not love, that would be a greedy self-interest, (which is your choice) only every action has a reaction. 

Yet something that is totally within reach, for every single human being, is a deep feeling of inner peace, via a loving attitude, and an ability to express that kindness whenever the opportunity arises.

Again, every action has a reaction, every cause has its effect.

Don't believe me, but before you dismiss everything that I have been saying within this thread, please just try it for yourself, and you will know the truth, and this truth shall set you free from so much unnecessary pain and misery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simplybill

I’m not an very emotional person. Because of that, it’s been my experience that action precedes emotion. For me personally, forgiveness, empathy, love and other emotions need fertile soil in which to grow, and actions are the plow that soften my heart towards another person. If I wait for my emotions to lead the way, then I get stuck spinning my wheels and nothing changes. For me, dispassionate kindness is much more effective than emotional kindness.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
On 2/6/2020 at 5:29 PM, XenoFish said:

Yeah, the ugly aspect has cost me a total of $100,000 dollars. Trust is something I won't do again. Cost me my retirement, almost costed my wife's life. Never again. 

What is done is done, what has happened has happened, there is no changing the past, only the present and the future are in our hands. No-body has to be defined by somebody else's bad behaviour. You have the power to change everything, it is only one decision away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jujo-jo
On 2/6/2020 at 12:59 AM, Manwon Lender said:

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

Peace

I like unconditional love, its sooo hard sometimes but without it theres probably not much else left. Sometimes it can be really challenging too, but also can be pretty darn fun ; )

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
3 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

I like unconditional love, its sooo hard sometimes but without it theres probably not much else left. Sometimes it can be really challenging too, but also can be pretty darn fun ; )

A rare commodity outside of the parent/child relationship. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
15 hours ago, Habitat said:

A rare commodity outside of the parent/child relationship. 

That may well be true for this present time, yet there is no reason why unconditional love cannot become the common currency for the whole of humanity. Especially when folks realise for themselves, the many wonderful benefits that may arise from such a wholesome perception of life. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jujo-jo
3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That may well be true for this present time, yet there is no reason why unconditional love cannot become the common currency for the whole of humanity. Especially when folks realise for themselves, the many wonderful benefits that may arise from such a wholesome perception of life. 

Ahhh... that sounds so nice, me be dreaming ; )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

That may well be true for this present time, yet there is no reason why unconditional love cannot become the common currency for the whole of humanity. Especially when folks realise for themselves, the many wonderful benefits that may arise from such a wholesome perception of life. 

I think we all know the world forces us to be selfish, to a degree, if we want to maintain ourselves, it is just a matter of to what degree of selfishness. Minimizing works better than eliminating it, in practice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
13 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I think we all know the world forces us to be selfish, to a degree, if we want to maintain ourselves, it is just a matter of to what degree of selfishness. Minimizing works better than eliminating it, in practice.

And, in some situations being “selfish” is important to give our best.

For example, being a caregiver if you don’t self care, you don’t place any importance on your own health, your own needs it affects those you care for too. It is called compassion fatigue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

And, in some situations being “selfish” is important to give our best.

For example, being a caregiver if you don’t self care, you don’t place any importance on your own health, your own needs it affects those you care for too. It is called compassion fatigue.

Of course, and then there is the "cruel to be kind" thing, but as the song says, "in the right measure". I think people can fully realise they are not more important than the next person, but also realise that there are practical limits to how you can live that truth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
19 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I think we all know the world forces us to be selfish, to a degree, if we want to maintain ourselves, it is just a matter of to what degree of selfishness. Minimizing works better than eliminating it, in practice.

It is true, we all have to look after ourselves to some degree or other, especially if we have responsibilities to take care of. But to me that isn't even being selfish. 

I guess it boils down to our intentions?

Are you taking good care of yourself, so that you are stronger, wiser, and more compassionate, just to get a head-start on everyone else, or are you looking after yourself to be better prepared to help, serve, and love all sentient beings unconditionally? Because if its anywhere near the latter, then actually that is a big work.

At the end of the day, mutual, respectful cooperation are much more practical then the selfish, greedy route.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Sherapy
21 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Of course, and then there is the "cruel to be kind" thing, but as the song says, "in the right measure". I think people can fully realise they are not more important than the next person, but also realise that there are practical limits to how you can live that truth.

This is the reality of the nurse, compassion is often about firm boundaries that come from a place of kindness. It really is a skill.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
48 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

It is true, we all have to look after ourselves to some degree or other, especially if we have responsibilities to take care of. But to me that isn't even being selfish. 

I guess it boils down to our intentions?

Are you taking good care of yourself, so that you are stronger, wiser, and more compassionate, just to get a head-start on everyone else, or are you looking after yourself to be better prepared to help, serve, and love all sentient beings unconditionally? Because if its anywhere near the latter, then actually that is a big work.

At the end of the day, mutual, respectful cooperation are much more practical then the selfish, greedy route.

As the old song says "its the only thing there is too little of" (Love). And when looking back at past events, I never reproach myself for erring on the side of kindness toward people, but I do reproach myself for not having been kinder to some. It doesn't cost much or require much effort, not to be mean spirited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
On 2/4/2020 at 9:56 PM, Crazy Horse said:

I think there is some merit as to what you say.

Personally, on a good day at least, I don't judge the other fella, I bless those who annoy me, I send love to those who disturb me, and I will listen to anyone without any prejudice.

I will give anyone "a fair go", and try to do something helpful.

Thereby, in theory, turning my whole life into one long practice/process. Adding what works, and substracting what doesn't.

And knowing/seeing/feeling the peace for my-self 

 

I have been having struggles inside myself lately that have been difficult, but I believe in practicing the things you mention and have been doing for some time.  Anyway, just yesterday a simple good joo-joo of positive “karma” came my way when a stranger was nice to me.  Usually it seems it’s the other way around.....but right when I could really use a lift, I got one.

This world is amazing, beautiful, and also ugly and disgusting all at the same time.  Peace be with you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
6 hours ago, Habitat said:

As the old song says "its the only thing there is too little of" (Love). And when looking back at past events, I never reproach myself for erring on the side of kindness toward people, but I do reproach myself for not having been kinder to some. It doesn't cost much or require much effort, not to be mean spirited.

I think this is a very common experience for most of us.

And perhaps a short, intense burst of negative emotion,.followed by a lengthy regret.

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

I have been having struggles inside myself lately that have been difficult, but I believe in practicing the things you mention and have been doing for some time.  Anyway, just yesterday a simple good joo-joo of positive “karma” came my way when a stranger was nice to me.  Usually it seems it’s the other way around.....but right when I could really use a lift, I got one.

This world is amazing, beautiful, and also ugly and disgusting all at the same time.  Peace be with you.

And I feel this too is a very common experience for most of us.

A simple smile, or a few kind words, can make all the difference to someone's day, and perhaps even their whole life.

The world is amazing and beautiful, and also ugly and disgusting at the same time. Yet it all starts with a decision, a choice.

A million blessing and even greater peace to you too.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.