Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth set to enter 30-year 'mini ice age'

UM-Bot

ROFL... so much for all the people predicting global warming then ? I bet they're all crying into their Latté's now :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

ROFL... so much for all the people predicting global warming then ? I bet they're all crying into their Latté's now :D

did you read any of the articles? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

During normal solar cycles, the difference in mean annual temps between the tops and bottoms of the cycle is only 0.3 degrees C.  That's with a zero sunspot count at the bottom of the cycle.  So what will happen if we get a zero sunspot count that lasts 30 years?  Probably not much.  A casual observer won't even notice.  But 0.3 degrees C represents a lot of energy that is not being moved around in the climate system.  We might notice a difference in storm intensities and frequencies.  Maybe.

Doug

42 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I doubt it. From what I’ve seen he normally just throws rocks at who Evers got his panties in a bunch that day. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

Umm.. the 2010, 2014 and 2018 ones. They all seem to say a similar thing ?  

1 hour ago, AstralHorus said:

I doubt it. From what I’ve seen he normally just throws rocks at who Evers got his panties in a bunch that day. 

How WUDE :o 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Umm.. the 2010, 2014 and 2018 ones. They all seem to say a similar thing ?  

Aye, same thing, they just change the dates .....

Its a bit like the Daily Express "Coldest winter on records/100 days of snow" headlines.  Which appear every year around the end of September.  

On February 7, 1886, the Wichita Eagle published the news that the temps had reached -42F.  They apparently didn't check with the weather station which showed -5F. 

Want to be careful about what you read in the newspapers.

Doug

• Like 1

I recall reading an article in Time magazine.  It was from the 70's, but I read it some years afterward in the early 80's if memory serves.

The article was written by a scientist who had been drilling, storing and analyzing ice core samples from the Antarctic to garner information about atmospheric condidtions throughout deep history.  He deduced that Ice Ages come in two stages.

Between the two stages of severe cold, he observed, a 5-7,000 year warming trend in the middle prior to the second phase of deep cold.

He proffered the notion that our current civilization arose at the beginning of the warming period after the first phast of the most recent Ice Age and that we were due to begin receeding back into the severe second phase imminently.

It had a strong impact on me at the time. 

For a High School English project, I wrote a short story inspired by and about this scientist, whom upon leaving one of his ancient ice core samples out, once it warmed, it released in the thaw, a revived long dormant virus that then laid waste to nearly all modern humans and domestic animals, leading us back into a Tribal Dark Age of survival on the edges of famine and extreme suffering.  It was meant as a precursor to a Fantasy series that would fund my life of independence and wealth... Folks ate it up.  It was nominated for several awards (won none) but earned me a scholarship that paid for much of my higher education...

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I always see the words 'global warming' and always make a puzzled look on my face. 20 years ago I had a teacher who corrected everybody with the term 'climate change'; not 'global warming'. I did research on the matter and it is correct in that regard; whether it happens is another matter. But the term 'global warming' is true, but it doesn't mean everywhere will get warmer. The problem is, global temperatures rise, they melt ice sheets in Greenland et al, the fresh water enters the ocean, water levels rise but more importantly the salt level is diluted a lot. This alters the course of the gulf stream causing it to move; likely towards Africa. This means that Europe starts freezing and Africa turns to desert. Which in turn causes mass population movements and we get the situation we have in Europe ten-fold. I'm not here to argue for or against climate change. I'm just going to say that just because we'll enter a mini-ice age, this doesn't necessarily mean that climate change doesn't exist. What it means is that the sun will make the world colder for a bit. Which means more fuel is consumed to keep everything heated and running. Which means, when the sun resumes normal activity, the issues will be there. Or won't be. Depends on your position on the matter.

• Thanks 1

Climate change exists.  While I haven't tested the world-wide figures because of the sheer size of the test, I have tested Oklahoma.  Our temps have risen 2F since 1920 and our precip has increased by four to nine inches since 1980.  We have not seen a major drought since 1956.  Our last 100-year flood was in 1921.  That's just Oklahoma.  I'm pretty sure Kansas and parts of Nebraska would show similar results.  Repeat these tests clear across the world and most places will show climate change, most of it occurring since 1965.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think if everyone had taken a university geography class there would be a lot less confusion and disagreement. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think if everyone had taken a university geography class there would be a lot less confusion and disagreement. 

Like, maybe, our president?

Doug

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Doug

Don't be ridiculous :P

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Don't be ridiculous :P

Let's see... like saying the Kansas City Chiefs are located in Kansas?  How about saying that Puerto Rico is not part of the US?  Or getting Hawaii and Kenya mixed up?  Or like saying that Oakland is the same as San Francisco?  Or Paris is in Germany?

I'll give him a free pass on mispronouncing "Orygon" because most Americans can't pronounce it, either.  It's "Or-i-gen" with a hard "g."

He seems to think "Belgium is a beautiful city."

And then there are his two cities "Nipple" and "Button."  Please don't ask him to point them out (He thinks they're in India.).

Time zones seem to be beyond him.  Like when it's afternoon in Washington, it's midnight in Tokyo.

When meeting with leaders of the of the "Baltic" states, Trump thought they were from the Balkans.

He got a call from the President of South Korea, but told journalists it was from North Korea.

And don't forget the beautiful border wall he is building between Colorado and New Mexico.

He didn't know that India has a border with China.

He thought Ireland was part of the UK (He said it twice.).

When Ambassador Sondland called Trump from Kiev, Trump had to ask if he was calling from Ukraine.

I'm trying not to be ridiculous, but I have such an excellent example of it in the White House.

Doug

1 hour ago, Doug1029 said:

Doug

No, I was thinking about more important people than that, normal people.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

You see the climate changes. its not the fault of mankind warming of the earth , but the turning of the magnetic field

Where do I even begin?

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Where do I even begin?

Doug

The topic is Earth set to enter 30-year 'mini ice age' there could be many 'mini ice ages'