Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant funnel-web spider is twice average size

UM-Bot

Not the prettiest of creatures.

Personally, I'm eternally grateful nature has set a hard limit on how big insects and arachnids can get on earth and still survive.
If spiders could grow to the size of dogs (or horses!), we'd all actually need assault rifles.

13 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

If spiders could grow to the size of dogs (or horses!), we'd all actually need assault rifles.

Why? You do not shoot dogs or horse - do you? 

Beautiful, but still nothing compared to a few of these I kept. They're some of my favorites! They're... Tenacious. 

Macrothele gigas, can grow to 6“. The thing is, noone has really studied their venom, so we technically don't know how toxic they are to humans. The general advice is simply 'don't get bitten'. 

Macrothele gigas

And a girl who realizes you have all that and isn't totally freaked out is a special kinda gal. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Why? You do not shoot dogs or horse - do you? 

You're being an idiot. Dogs and horses pose little danger.

Giant sci-fi/fantasy style spiders, on the other hand, would be an extreme danger to the human race and most other terrestrial animals if they existed.

Edited by Seti42

Australia the land where the spiders are so big they have health bars. Still remember that huge huntsman i saw there  ( shivers) 

2 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Beer holder

8 hours ago, Seti42 said:

You're being an idiot. Dogs and horses pose little danger.

Giant sci-fi/fantasy style spiders, on the other hand, would be an extreme danger to the human race and most other terrestrial animals if they existed.

In their own environment they have a right to live. Just do not build a house there!

There are wild dogs which are in their own environment,

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/african-wild-dog

They are a threat as much as humans.

Ofcourse we have to protect ourselves and our livestock, but some humans are too ready to get their guns out. There is no need to just shoot everything which could be a threat to us when we decide we want to live on their land. 

Thankfully the spider has not been shot and can be useful

Fortunately it was quickly picked up and taken to John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle

pretty cool i like to see spiders around our house and garden the closest we get here is false widows i got bitten by one a while ago and it actually drew blood but that was when i was healthy and not on loads of heart pills and blood thinners i don't fancy gettin bitten now just in case ....... i must add my wifey dosn't share my love of arachnids not even big old house spiders