Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery “orb” filmed in Texas

Rhinopolis

https://www.texasufosightings.com/new-sightings/ghostly-orb-captured-in-texas-doorbell-cam-footage

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Not gonna click it...but just going to assume it's a bug. 

There is an old saying...Never assume anything, because when you do it makes an ass out of u and me.  It actually does look like an orb floating across the porch.  Don't know what it is.

22 minutes ago, joc said:

There is an old saying...Never assume anything, because when you do it makes an ass out of u and me.  It actually does look like an orb floating across the porch.  Don't know what it is.

Well, I can assure you that it isn't a ghost.

• Like 1

Paranormal tumbleweed. It's a thing.

orb2_4_orig.png

• Haha 1

I don’t post on this forum very often and apologize if the title and details related to the post were vague.

There are two “security camera” videos available to view via the link. The 1st video is from the Ring doorbell camera and show the object moving right to left. The object comes from behind the brick post moving in front of the potted plant, and then goes behind the stone on the other side. To me this scales the object and places it at roughly the size of a basketball. The area between the brick and stone is the only entrance on to the porch from the walkway.

The 2nd video was recorded after the object is past the front porch. I find the translucency of the object as it passes over various plants seen in the two videos to be especially interesting.

The videos were recorded in SE TX on 1.20.20 @ 4:57 am. The wind conditions from that date and time show a 7 mph north wind, which is against the direction of the object as it moves across the porch.

I have been trying to rationalize the object, and initially was thinking it was some sort of insect swarm. The sphericity and translucency of the object has made that difficult to back up with any other photo/video evidence that I have come across.

Please ask additional question as I personally know the homeowners and can likely help answer other questions that make identifying the object more helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Rhinopolis

Edited by Rhinopolis
  • Like 1

Copy and paste if the link doesn’t work? My apologies as I am not very tech skilled.

https://www.texasufosightings.com/new-sightings/ghostly-orb-captured-in-texas-doorbell-cam-footage

There’s no “trick”, and the link goes to a website where the video was picked up from Twitter by “UFO Jane”. She runs the website and also has a YouTube channel. 

A couple of corrections to misinfo on the posts..

1. Anything close to a camera lens will be thrown out of focus (OOF) and become 'translucent'.

2. Because that brick wall section is very bright compared to the 'object', it is NOT possible to be sure that it went 'behind' it.  That edge effect is merely (over)sharpening.  I could probably do a brightness/color analysis of that area to see if it changes slightly as the thing passes by, but that would take effort, and frankly I don't think it's worth it - it is already approaching saturation brightness, and that makes small changes very difficult to detect.

It looks like an OOF bug to me.  Sure, the movement is a little unusual, but it could possibly be a small spider on a web, or some other slow moving thingy. The fact that it is secondhand footage, ie a video of a screen showing an already low-res and low quality image, means that further analysis is virtually impossible.  And it could be faked or even a reflection of a light on the screen.

So, in summary - it's somethin' unidentified ... and likely unidentifiable.  Although .. I'd be checking other footage - I don't see any indication of a serious attempt to look at other possibilities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@ChrLzs Hello. I can likely obtain a better copy since I personally know the homeowners. What would make further investigation easier for you, if interested?

The videos are not fake and were taken from the home security cameras of my parents close friends of 40+ years. They are in their 60’s and the videos “freaked them out”....lol. 

The fact that the object appeared independently on both cameras one right after the other is interesting, no?

I don't see any indication of a serious attempt to look at other possibilities.”

What more would you like? Be specific and not just critical, please.

Edited by Rhinopolis
  • Confused 1

Rhino, is there not some way to get the original footage - was the camera recording digitally?  If so, it should be possible to transfer the data file to a file sharing site.  I would be interested in that, but have to be honest, I don't think better resolution is going to help much in this case, except maybe to answer the question of whether it went behind the wall.  If it did, then the game changes.. :D

7 hours ago, Rhinopolis said:

The fact that the object appeared independently on both cameras one right after the other is interesting, no?

Yes, if we can definitely tie the two together with time stamps/ whatever, then that tells us it is most likely not on the camera lens but is some distance (even though perhaps quite small) in front of it.

7 hours ago, Rhinopolis said:

What more would you like? Be specific and not just critical, please.

My point was that the language being used, including claims like the following, are the sort of ones used when the claimant has already got a preconceived idea of what they want (or perhaps don't want) it to be...eg my comments are below:

Notice the object comes from behind the plant & moves past the brick. Te me this scales the size.

{I don't agree that it necessarily 'comes from behind' or 'moves past' as claimed, so no it doesn't 'scale the size'}

Notice the translucency as it passes over and around the plant.

{translucency is what you get whenever something is out of focus - it doesn't really mean anything, and again, I don't accept the claim that it is necessarily 'over and around' the plant}

Just as an aside, look at the distorted edges of the 'orb' as shown in this image (and another on that page):
orb6_orig.png

- those effects are in fact an extremely strong indication that the object is OOF..  The distortions (eg the half-diamond shape at the right side of the blob, and the squashing into an oval on the next image) all happen as the orb nears the edge of frame - this is exactly what 'bokeh' does as the lens and aperture design affect the nature and shape of the blurring.  That all points very strongly at something VERY out of focus and thus VERY near to the lens. 

All in all, it's vaguely interesting, but likely a bug or something maybe entangled in a web or similar.  I wouldn't bother trying to post better versions unless they were significantly better, as I doubt whether anything much will come out of trying to analyse it further..

If it was me, I'd spend some time looking at similar footage taken at the same time over a period of time - I'll bet you'll see similar, and maybe the bug might be kind and move back so it goes into better focus...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I looked at two images from the clip. The first was just as the orb is about to appear and then one as the orb is left of center.

The brickwork on the right side becomes clearer suggesting to me that the orb is closer than the brickwork.

image.png.34ace37d0f1ed27aefb0593d38918b83.png

image.png.14e58745d1f06a7409efa43cf67539b8.png

I suggest that an out of focus insect, spider, or whatever is close to the camera

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My apologies for being tardy to respond as I was swamped with work yesterday. I appreciate the detailed and well thought out responses above from @ChrLzs @stereologist which are exactly the types of responses I was hoping for from UM.

I am trying to obtain a better copy of the video from the homeowners, and I will post back with that video if I obtain it. I have been looking for a rational explanation since I was 1st shown the videos as I don’t personally believe in ghost. I do however believe in aliens and UFO’s, but that’s a different subject..lol.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhinopolis said:

My apologies for being tardy to respond as I was swamped with work yesterday. I appreciate the detailed and well thought out responses above from @ChrLzs @stereologist which are exactly the types of responses I was hoping for from UM.

I am trying to obtain a better copy of the video from the homeowners, and I will post back with that video if I obtain it. I have been looking for a rational explanation since I was 1st shown the videos as I don’t personally believe in ghost. I do however believe in aliens and UFO’s, but that’s a different subject..lol.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. As you can see I tried to look at the video and it seems that the out of focus is over the brick. Is that really the case? That is hard to tell with the quality of the video. For all we know we are looking through a smudge on the phone at times.

A better answer would come from the original video. Good luck. Hope you are able to obtain it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The movement of the blurred object looks like a insect walking on the lens. Seen it many times at work

• 1 month later...

In this contribution of mine I intend to present my hypothesis on the topic of ‘Orbs’, and lay this mystery to rest for once and for all. I own a second-hand thermal-imaging camera; one day myself and my friend thought it would be a great idea to test the thermal-imaging camera on the London Underground (London’s Subway network), as it’s reported to being haunted. So we travelled to central London by Underground to Elephant & Castle station. Upon alighting onto the platform the thermal-imaging camera was switched on, and I was filming the platform vault. My friend was reading an advertisement poster pasted on the platform side wall when he farted, I captured his fart on my thermal-imaging camera, it emerged from the rear of his trousers, as this fart was expelled it kept inflating until it took on the appearance of an orb; anyway the sphere-shaped fart rose upwards and floated across the platform, before it’s descent onto the track, it then exploded upon landing on the live-rail before evaporating. When me and my friend returned to my apartment, I immediately uploaded the video-footage of my friend’s orb-like fart onto my laptop, together we viewed it dozens of time. It was then that we came up with the hypothesis that ‘orbs’ are nothing more than farts

To prove our hypothesis we set out to conduct an experiment in my apartment, in which I set up my thermal-imaging camera on my tripod in the corner of my living room for a period of 5 consecutive days, during which all windows within my apartment remained closed, to retain all my farts in the living room.  Over the course of the 5 days I lived my life as normal. At the end of the week, we uploaded the film footage and viewed it on my laptop. To my great surprise, there were NUMEROUS orbs captured by the camera, just floating or zig-zagging; it was then from this evidence that we concluded that ‘Orbs’ are in fact remenants of dead farts, not anything remotely supernatural. 

• Confused 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:20 AM, stereologist said:

I looked at two images from the clip. The first was just as the orb is about to appear and then one as the orb is left of center.

The brickwork on the right side becomes clearer suggesting to me that the orb is closer than the brickwork.

image.png.34ace37d0f1ed27aefb0593d38918b83.png

image.png.14e58745d1f06a7409efa43cf67539b8.png

I suggest that an out of focus insect, spider, or whatever is close to the camera

Or just someone blowing a soap bubbles in front of the camera... 

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FART-EXTERMINATOR said:

In this contribution of mine

Don't quite your day job (- but to be fair, toilet humour is a very difficult thing to do well)...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1