Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How can Judas have betrayed Jesus?

GoldenWolf

On 2/6/2020 at 7:30 PM, GoldenWolf said:

How can Judas have betrayed Jesus if Jesus was a sacrifice for mankind?

He needed to & Jesus was aware of it and even told his disciples ahead of time that one of them would.

He obviously couldn't live with that decision and so they say committed he suicide.

But if he had not we would not know Jesus today and we would not know his words or his teachings.

We would not have the cross as the embolization of christianity.

Ultimately what drove him to betray Jesus was money, politics and intimidation.

• Like 2

Judas is an antisemitic trope created by the early church to separate and distinguish Christians from Jews, after the the Jewish revolt. The very name is indicative of that purpose. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Unlike most paintintings of the last supper, here is a rare print of a painting that depicts Judas leaving the last supper to go do the deed.

20200208_182049_compress66_resize_89_compress52.jpg

• Like 1

Appears it was all bosh ...all bosh.  

Perfect people are not 2,000 years late. 

This topic is a good one and in the correct section for debate.

Sorry people can be rude and let there immaturity show through words.

Edited by Jujo-jo
  • Like 1

The "villain of the piece", a much-needed storytelling device.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Judas is an antisemitic trope created by the early church to separate and distinguish Christians from Jews, after the the Jewish revolt. The very name is indicative of that purpose. 

They didn't need to separate Jews from Christian's, their was previously and already the term "Gentiles".

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't think Judas is an anti-Semitic trope, since the apostles were Jewish. I personally think the various apostles represented different ideas, movements and groups within the messianic Judaic community.

I think Judas represented the more militant and revolutionary minded messianic jews who were waiting for the Yahwey's warhorse version of the messiah; a reborn king David that would gather an army and lead a revolution to drive the Romans out of Israel. When Jesus failed to be that warrior messiah those groups “betrayed” him by rejecting him as the messiah all together. The biblical judgment of Judas was a symbolic judgment of those groups by the early church.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, GoldenWolf said:

God's will is preordained.  

• Thanks 1

Wasn't there a gnostic "Gospel of Judas", where he was the hero? The only disciple who understood what jesus was about and realised he wanted to end it, but couldn't do it himself for "spiritual" reasons. So he played his part and helped him. While the other disciples were dolts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jujo-jo said:

They didn't need to separate Jews from Christian's, their was previously and already the term "Gentiles".

Most early Christians were Jews and/or proselyte Jews, as Judaism accepted converts in that era. Christianity was perceived as a heretical sect of the greater Jewish Faith. 

1 minute ago, Horta said:

Wasn't there a gnostic "Gospel of Judas", where he was the hero? The only disciple who understood what jesus was about and realised he wanted to end it, but couldn't do it himself for "spiritual" reasons. So he played his part and helped him. While the other disciples were dolts.

Not exactly. Jesus in that Gospel was rather contemptuous of Judas. 

35 minutes ago, WanderingFool0 said:

I don't think Judas is an anti-Semitic trope, since the apostles were Jewish. I personally think the various apostles represented different ideas, movements and groups within the messianic Judaic community.

I think Judas represented the more militant and revolutionary minded messianic jews who were waiting for the Yahwey's warhorse version of the messiah; a reborn king David that would gather an army and lead a revolution to drive the Romans out of Israel. When Jesus failed to be that warrior messiah those groups “betrayed” him by rejecting him as the messiah all together. The biblical judgment of Judas was a symbolic judgment of those groups by the early church.

It's been used to justify antisemitic pogroms throughout Church history. There's no contemporaneous accounts of Jesus' ministry. All we have were written down decades after. The tale grew in the telling.

• Like 5

What makes me sad is every Christian church's of the branches  I went to,  most tells of the OT and Paul  instead of all the riddles Jesus had  said, but why he died but why he lived, and   but why  Judas didn't survive three days later :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's been used to justify antisemitic pogroms throughout Church history. There's no contemporaneous accounts of Jesus' ministry. All we have were written down decades after. The tale grew in the telling.

Yes I am aware the figure of Judas was used as an antisemitic trope by the later church, but I do not believe that was the intent of him in it's writing. Even if it were it makes no logical sense in that if most of the apostles were Jewish, than the actions of the one apostle;Judas, can't be a reflection of Jews as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Um didn't the  modern meaning follow/ evolve from,  the name /action of judas ? In Hebrew it is a very common name meaning one of the following

Translations of Judas

noun

יְהוּדָה

Judas, Yehuda, Judah, Judaea

The name Judas is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Judah, in Hebrew יהודה (ye-hu-dah, Strong's #3063). Most Hebrew dictionaries will define this name as "praise," but as this English word is an abstract word it falls short of its true Hebraic meaning. The parent root of this word is יד (yad, Strong's #3027) meaning "hand". The child root ידה (Y.D.H, Strong's #3034) is derived from yad and means "to throw or stretch out the hand" and is the base root in the name Yehudah. If you were standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon for the first time you might throw your hands out and say "Wow, will you look at that". This is the Hebraic understanding of "praise" and the name Yehudah.

https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/names/Judas.htm

Edited by Mr Walker

14 minutes ago, WanderingFool0 said:

Yes I am aware the figure of Judas was used as an antisemitic trope by the later church, but I do not believe that was the intent of him in it's writing. Even if it were it makes no logical sense in that if most of the apostles were Jewish, than the actions of the one apostle;Judas, can't be a reflection of Jews as a whole.

That's a good point, but did the name Judas has more ready identification with being Jewish, at that time ?

Edited by Habitat

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I think you are right about how it was used. but even as a child and an atheist it puzzled me how the early  church declaimed judas as a jew yet failed to recognise that,  all his life christ was one, and lived and worshipped as one, preaching almost exclusively to other jews. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 12:43 AM, Will Due said:

Kinda proves he wasn't a sacrifice for mankind.

So if he wasn't a sacrifice, what was he?

false 

38 minutes ago, WanderingFool0 said:

If wish to understand Christianity, you'll have to study Roman history, and the antipathy felt toward Jews after multiple revolts in the First and second centuries. Christians wished to completely disassociate themselves and their Faith from Judaism and--rightly or wrongly--deliberately and repeatedly conflated Jews and Judaism with the crucifixion and death of Christ, in that period. They had enough persecution problems of their own, never mind paying for the sins of the Jews against the State as well.

• Thanks 1

In the Bible Jesus forgave Peter and Judas and on the cross forgave them all for they don't know what they do. People can forgive  but they can `nt forgive themselves, the unforgiven sin   

Edited by docyabut2
  • Thanks 1

I remember somewhere that Judas was cursed and condemned to walk the earth until the second coming of Jesus. Is this biblically true ? 

• The topic was locked