Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How can Judas have betrayed Jesus?

GoldenWolf

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

To your last sentence, I know many people who are financially abundant who say the same, who are rich on many levels.

I am not sure where you are getting the idea that you can only be happy if you are poor.

I don't have that idea at all

Happiness comes from  within so you can be just as happy, rich or poor The point being that you CAN be as happy on  50000 a year as on 500000 a year  

A number of surveys have shown the following 

Up to a certain point, where basic needs are met, people are happier with more money 

However after that point extra money does not confer any extra happiness or contentment,  and in many cases decreases it Ie there is a median point where one has enough  money to live comfortably and be happy/content.

Too much or too little reduces your chance of happiness.

As i said my sister is worth over 50 million dollars  She seems pretty happy, but no more so than me, who is worth  a few hundred thousand.  She can take a canal boat on the seine, then a holiday in a villa in tuscany or attend a truffle festival in Italy, but this doesn't make her MORE happy than me.

Her husband's hobby is restoring a 29 Packard gangster's car, where each wheel nut can cost $200.

image.jpeg.e445fef15167509554850038e2fc671b.jpeg

He will have it done from a very  basic chassis, into a fully restored vehicle in about 2 years total.

working in his fully equipped workshop with metal and wood lathes and other machinery all attached to dust extractors gives him perhaps the greatest pleasure in his life The money allows this, but he would get as much enjoyment from  working with his hands and basic tools. He built a 40 foot steel hulled fishing boat with nothing more. then used that to build his first million or two.     

He is happy, but no more so than when he was a mechanic or fisherman when they first married.

The things which make them happiest are the same things that make me happy ie  being loved, having people to love, having a purpose etc. Being connected to family, place and community. (He is a member of rotary) 

Edited by Mr Walker

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The blue bag used to be the thing.

yep That was an early  version of bluo. I often had to stir it into the copper, make sure the fire kept going, and do the heavy lifting for mum Then put the wet clothes   through  the  hand mangle.  The wash board was used first to loosen and remove the worst stains and grime.

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Nice one.

But untrue.

Unfortunately we often spend money on things we believe will bring us happiness/satisfaction, but do not. 

Ps isn't alimony the price one pays for peace of mind? :) and ears? 

If the truth be told it’s probably easier to tolerate unhappiness if you have plenty of money. 
When I was a PA my boss was an overnight millionaire and had money to burn and my did she spend and she was very generous, everyone in her inner circle benefitted from her wealth, in this she felt she mattered, she found joy in giving and taking, the greed came too, in the sense she wasn’t guided by integrity and it would come to bite her, she was and still is the most miserable person I have ever known. The money didn’t change the misery but it gave her a way to feel better in other ways. In her case, greed was her downfall, yet, after several lawsuits it sounds like she has made big changes to her character.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I don't have that idea at all

Happiness comes from  within so you can be just as happy, rich or poor The point being that you CAN be as happy on  50000 a year as on 500000 a year  

A number of surveys have shown the following 

Up to a certain point, where basic needs are met, people are happier with more money 

However after that point extra money does not confer any extra happiness or contentment,  and in many cases decreases it Ie there is a median point where one has enough  money to live comfortably and be happy/content.

Too much or too little reduces your chance of happiness.

As i said my sister is worth over 50 million dollars  She seems pretty happy, but no more so than me, who is worth  a few hundred thousand.  She can take a canal boat on the seine, then a holiday in a villa in tuscany or attend a truffle festival in Italy, but this doesn't make her MORE happy than me.

Her husband's hobby is restoring a 29 Packard gangster's car, where each wheel nut can cost $200.

image.jpeg.e445fef15167509554850038e2fc671b.jpeg

He will have it done from a very  basic chassis, into a fully restored vehicle in about 2 years total 

He is happy, but no more so than when he was a mechanic or fisherman when they first married.

The things which make them happiest are the same things that make me happy ie  being loved, having people to love, having a purpose etc. Being connected to family, place and community. (He is a member of rotary) 

Why are you comparing yourself?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

If the truth be told it’s probably easier to tolerate unhappiness if you have plenty of money. 
When I was a PA my boss was an overnight millionaire and had money to burn and my did she spend and she was very generous, everyone in her inner circle benefitted from her wealth, in this she felt she mattered, she found joy in giving and taking, the greed came too, in the sense she wasn’t guided by integrity and it would come to bite her, she was and still is the most miserable person I have ever known. The money didn’t change the misery but it gave her a way to feel better in other ways. In her case, greed was her downfall, yet, after several lawsuits it sounds like she has made big changes to her character.

Interesting, but not sure whose point it makes.  

Sounds maybe as if she was trying to buy happiness and only partly succeeded.  

If she had simply learned some self  worth, that would have made her happy. 

Just now, Sherapy said:

Why are you comparing yourself?

you gave examples from  your life and experience.

I am using people  I know very well,  and their experiences, to support my own argument.  

19 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Interesting, but not sure whose point it makes.  

Sounds maybe as if she was trying to buy happiness and only partly succeeded.  

If she had simply learned some self  worth, that would have made her happy. 

The point is money does seem to be a good thing even if it doesn’t make you happy. 
Most probably would rather have the money if they were miserable. ;)

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

you gave examples from  your life and experience.

I am using people  I know very well,  and their experiences, to support my own argument.  

Your argument was how you cannot be happy or try to be with money.

Good to see you stand corrected. :P

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I have a playstation and about 50 games  and once had  3 different game consoles Nintendo, sega and sony,  and five hundred boxed games for them (generally purchased second hand or very cheap) Ive played almost every computer based role playing game and have boxed sets of diablo, warcraft, age of empires,  command  and conquer, elder scrolls, call of duty,  Assassins Creed and many more I reached the highest level possible with 5 characters on wow online :) 

Oh yeah? What's your k/d?

• Haha 3

• The topic was locked