Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How can Judas have betrayed Jesus?

GoldenWolf

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

It's just too cute. Two sacrifices for the price of one. I have no truck with this sacrifice business. One guy took off for greener pastures after a few days, the other one bit the dust, permanently. Who was sacrificed, in this story, did you say ?

Both.

46 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

He didn't betray Jesus. It's a mistranslation into modern day bibles. He was in contract with him, an agreement. Did Judas understand where it might lead? Possibly not, this explains the feeling of guilt after. 

So are you saying Jesus told Judas to snitch him off, knowing full well Judas would blame himself and commit suicide?

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Let's say that the bible is just a book of stories that are only meant to educate. If we go from this angle what would Judas betraying Jesus mean? 

It would be a lesson on betrayal, and the foolishness of self punishment, when salvation just needs to be accepted.

Judas played a part. Jesus repeatedly said he'd die when they got to Jerusalem, and that he'd be betrayed. He had to be betrayed, and had to die. Judas was forgiven, but just wouldnt accept. And thus will have to be judged for such.

Everyone is a sinner. Like @Hammerclaw said, its basically impossible not to be. The trick is to ALLOW yourself to be forgiven, and forgive yourself. To believe you are worthy of being Saved.

If your willing to forgive yourself, asking others to forgive you is no great feat.

• Like 2

As to Jesus being Gay...

Whatever, it matters not for what Jesus taught. He was not without temptations. He was without SIN....

Being gay would have likely made his worldly temptations greater in scope. Yet he didnt yield to sin.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I know many thought Jesus was gay  by the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Gospel_of_Mark

which is not true, so many gospel's written so much later are not true

According to the Gospel of John, John had a special relationship with Jesus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

As to Jesus being Gay...

Whatever, it matters not for what Jesus taught. He was not without temptations. He was without SIN....

Being gay would have likely made his worldly temptations greater in scope. Yet he didnt yield to sin.

Why would Jesus having a gay relationship be sinful?  If you Christians can handwave Jesus committing blasphemy as not sinful, why not homosexuality?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

He didn't betray Jesus. 

Judas betrayed himself.

Oh brother. We're all sinners. What a cop out. A pathetic excuse for being bad. :lol:

But think about what sin is. What it REALY is.

Sin has connotations that are not entirely within the confines of religious thinking and religious belief.

Sin is knowingly and deliberately, doing the wrong thing. Period. It's knowing it's wrong and having no doubt about it, but doing it anyway deliberately

How many of you spend the greater portion of everyday NOT doing that? :P

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Oh brother. We're all sinners. What a cop out. A pathetic excuse for being bad. :lol:

Well, I do what I can. So many sins to try out, so little time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Well, I do what I can. So many sins to try out, so little time.

jack-nicholson-about-schmidt-1108x0-c-default-1.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Sin has connotations that are not entirely within the confines of religious thinking and religious belief.

Sin is knowingly and deliberately, doing the wrong thing. Period. It's knowing it's wrong and having no doubt about it, but doing it anyway deliberately

Hi Will

The greater part of my day is spent working, building things so my focus is on doing y job properly then after work I have chores cooking ,cleaning, laundry,etc then some relax time and sleep. Now really none of that has anything to do with sinning so how much time to you think I should spend thinking about sins that I don’t have time to commit?

Yes there are the occasional times I get drunk but then I am here laughing at some of the lunacy that I read what would be the point of spending time worrying about nothing

jmccr8

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Will

The greater part of my day is spent working, building things so my focus is on doing y job properly then after work I have chores cooking ,cleaning, laundry,etc then some relax time and sleep. Now really none of that has anything to do with sinning so how much time to you think I should spend thinking about sins that I don’t have time to commit?

Yes there are the occasional times I get drunk but then I am here laughing at some of the lunacy that I read what would be the point of spending time worrying about nothing

jmccr8

Be careful Jay, all that sinlessness might just get you waking up in heaven bro. :lol:

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

According to the Gospel of John, John had a special relationship with Jesus.

in this book John Mark was Jesus's young cousin .he was sixteen and Jesus heal his leg wen he was in his twelfth year  and he was the first one that wrote a letter  about Jesus when he was 59 years old .known in the bible was Mark

Edgar Cayce readings, I have this book

https://www.amazon.com/Story-Jesus-Clifford-P-Owens/dp/B004V2AERW

61UMC-zxvcL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by docyabut2

30 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

in this book John Mark was Jesus's young cousin .he was sixteen and Jesus heal his leg wen he was in his twelfth year  and he was the first one that wrote a letter  about Jesus when he was 59 years old .known in the bible was Mark

Edgar Cayce readings, I have this book

https://www.amazon.com/Story-Jesus-Clifford-P-Owens/dp/B004V2AERW

John and Mark was the same person?  What does Edgar Cayce have to do with anything?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Wandering fool

If I recall correctly he tried to give the silver back and when they wouldn't take it he threw it away so I am more inclined to view it as remorse for an action because of reflection.

jmccr8

Hello jm

I agree that his attempting to return the money, shows remorse, but the refusal of the priests to take the “blood money”, to me shows that there is a spiritual line of demarcation, that once crossed one can no longer be forgiven. You can not unsell the soul, or unring the bell so to speak.

If, you look at the twelve apostles as various representations of humanity, being led by Jesus; the spirit, on a spiritual journey of purification leading to the anointing of the holy spirit and the receiving of the kingdom and every lasting life, than Judas represents the individual who having received the spirit and been given the gift turns back from the kingdom for money; material wealth, which is a symbol of Mammon and the lord of the earth; Satan. It is having received the spirit and still willfully choosing the world. Which, is a betrayal and rejection of the holy spirit, the kingdom and the gift of everlasting life; a betrayal that can not be forgiven.

The last supper itself I think represents the exact moment that Judas and the other apostles received the final teaching and spirit of Jesus. Symbolically they drank his blood and ate his flesh; becoming his blood and flesh; becoming him. At that moment they like him received the holy spirit and were already granted and guaranteed the kingdom and eternal life. At that moment one could say they were spiritually mature and would no longer be treated by God like spiritual children which in the old Judaic system were sinless and forgivable of their actions. Judas chose the world over the spirit and he paid the price.

Edited by WanderingFool0
correction
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Judas was forgiven, but just wouldnt accept.

Just curious, where didn't Judas accept forgiveness?

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

It would be a lesson on betrayal

The lesson on this particular betrayal is that it led to the greatest and most 'loving' thing supposedly that has ever happened to the human race.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Why would Jesus having a gay relationship be sinful?  If you Christians can handwave Jesus committing blasphemy as not sinful, why not homosexuality?

Nothing sinful in any relationship. Its premarital sex which is sinful. And there was zero waya to have a gay marriage in 30 AD.

God cant blaspheme God. Jesus was sent to change things, and he did. For the better. 

4 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Nothing sinful in any relationship. Its premarital sex which is sinful. And there was zero waya to have a gay marriage in 30 AD.

When did Adam and Eve get married?

4 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

God cant blaspheme God. Jesus was sent to change things, and he did. For the better. 

Jesus was sent to bastardize a religion that his father created, and he did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

You mean like being sanctimonious and judgmental about others while preening oneself from what one perceives as moral high ground? That would make such a person the biggest hypocrite and sinner of all, wouldn't it?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Just curious, where didn't Judas accept forgiveness?

Hummm... I admit I havent got the Bible memorized. I thought I had remembered Jesus forgiving Judas right after he was arrested, but it actually says nothing about forgiving him.

It does say, in Matthew 26:23-25.

23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”

Jesus answered, “You have said so.”

So obviously Jesus either was predicting Judas to die the way he did, or threatening/condemning him. I believe it to be the former. And Judas could have repented if he had believed he could.

The lesson on this particular betrayal is that it led to the greatest and most 'loving' thing supposedly that has ever happened to the human race.

Multiple lessons can be taught from most scriptures. 

I'd agree with the one you're pointing out here.

2 hours ago, WanderingFool0 said:

Hello jm

I agree that his attempting to return the money, shows remorse, but the refusal of the priests to take the “blood money”, to me shows that there is a spiritual line of demarcation, that once crossed one can no longer be forgiven. You can not unsell the soul, or unring the bell so to speak.

If, you look at the twelve apostles as various representations of humanity, being led by Jesus; the spirit, on a spiritual journey of purification leading to the anointing of the holy spirit and the receiving of the kingdom and every lasting life, than Judas represents the individual who having received the spirit and been given the gift turns back from the kingdom for money; material wealth, which is a symbol of Mammon and the lord of the earth; Satan. It is having received the spirit and still willfully choosing the world. Which, is a betrayal and rejection of the holy spirit, the kingdom and the gift of everlasting life; a betrayal that can not be forgiven.

The last supper itself I think represents the exact moment that Judas and the other apostles received the final teaching and spirit of Jesus. Symbolically they drank his blood and ate his flesh; becoming his blood and flesh; becoming him. At that moment they like him received the holy spirit and were already granted and guaranteed the kingdom and eternal life. At that moment one could say they were spiritually mature and would no longer be treated by God like spiritual children which in the old Judaic system were sinless and forgivable of their actions. Judas chose the world over the spirit and he paid the price.

Satan only means adversary or accuser. Christianity took the term and made it a title for their devil. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

When did Adam and Eve get married?

There was no need before they ate the forbidden fruit. I imagine they were very sinful after being cast out of Eden. They had several children. 

Jesus was sent to bastardize a religion that his father created, and he did.

That's one way of looking at it. What your leaving out is if it was for the better, or worse.

Answer this.... Would we be better off today with global law being based on Christianity, or being based on ancient Judiasm (Islam?)?

25 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

There was no need before they ate the forbidden fruit. I imagine they were very sinful after being cast out of Eden. They had several children. 

No need?  So what was the need for after?

What way does having children imply sin?

That's one way of looking at it. What your leaving out is if it was for the better, or worse.

Better is relative.  The flu is "better" than Ebola.

Answer this.... Would we be better off today with global law being based on Christianity, or being based on ancient Judiasm (Islam?)?

Today or when Christianity was at it's most powerful?  Christianity like Judaism over time has become less oppressive.

Christianity today is better than ancient Judaism, and Judaism today is better than medieval Christianity.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

No need?  So what was the need for after?

Knowledge of Good and Evil. Living in a God blessed union, or not. "Not" is sinful. Thus the need for something that denotes a union made under temporal authority, with oaths to each other of love and support.

What way does having children imply sin?

Nothing. Premarital sex is the sin. Having a child is not sinful. Conceiving the child might be though.

Better is relative.  The flu is "better" than Ebola.

True. So.... Christianity, or ancient Judiasm? Which is Ebola and which is the Flu? I can see it going either way, depending on what cherry picked references are used.

Today or when Christianity was at it's most powerful? Christianity like Judaism over time has become less oppressive.

Either. It will be interesting to read.

My initial comparison is referencing the 1st century, since the form of Judiasm I'm using as a comparison ceased to exist in the 2nd century.

• The topic was locked