Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The babysitter

UM-Bot

By: Ksmi | Location: ON

So I got hired for this babysitting gig a few years back, to watch two boys (1 and 3). I found this family online and they hired me on the spot as a stranger and started me watching them on date nights where I'd put them to bed and wait for the parents to get home then leave.

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112370/the-babysitter

• Thanks 1

As I say with cable TV and social media I am seeing the paranormal as uncommon but not all that rare either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before reading the story, the title gave me the impression of the famous Urban Legend where the Babysitter is receiving anonymous calls from the upstairs bedroom who turns out to be some sort of crazed killer. Glad to I was in for a surprise :)  

• Haha 1

The most terrifying thing about this story was the parents hiring a babysitter on the spot  No criminal record checks, no references, nada. As for the loud bang, it was just that, a loud bang. Just because the sitter was unable to discern the nature and location of the noise, does not make it a paranormal incident. The other terrifying thing is the parents' assumption that their child's hallucinations (dreams, or whatever else might be happening) are paranormal. The little one might simply be seeing or imagining things, or there might be something going on that would necessitate a doctor's care.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The most terrifying thing about this story was the parents hiring a babysitter on the spot  No criminal record checks, no references, nada. As for the loud bang, it was just that, a loud bang. Just because the sitter was unable to discern the nature and location of the noise, does not make it a paranormal incident. The other terrifying thing is the parents' assumption that their child's hallucinations (dreams, or whatever else might be happening) are paranormal. The little one might simply be seeing or imagining things, or there might be something going on that would necessitate a doctor's care.

But if you know how, you can go through someone's mirror and take things.  That's what a coworker from years ago believed.  She kept her mirrors covered except when she needed to put on her makeup.  I wanted to know why she had so many mirrors in the first place if that's all she needed was the bathroom mirror.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But if you know how, you can go through someone's mirror and take things.  That's what a coworker from years ago believed.  She kept her mirrors covered except when she needed to put on her makeup.  I wanted to know why she had so many mirrors in the first place if that's all she needed was the bathroom mirror.

You can not be serious.

Just now, XenoFish said:

You can not be serious.

She was, not I.  She used to cover her mirrors every night and told me stories about how she lost important things by leaving them by a mirror.

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

She was, not I.  She used to cover her mirrors every night and told me stories about how she lost important things by leaving them by a mirror.

Okay, that's good to know. I guess her being forgetful and for whatever reason thought that someone spooked through a mirror to steal it. 

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Okay, that's good to know. I guess her being forgetful and for whatever reason thought that someone spooked through a mirror to steal it. 

You would have enjoyed her (hilarious antics and beliefs) and then hated her because she was always so off the wall and doing spells on people to get them to do what she wanted.  Of course they never worked and she used to tell me stuff as if I was her best friend.  Once she had a crystal that had a very interesting point and she was showing it to me telling me it was a gift for some guy she was stalking.  I took the crystal and had the impulse to put one side of the point (it was a large quartz crystal) to my forehead, which caused her to totally freak out.  I am not sure why I did it, but I know she had "charged" that crystal with some message for the poor guy (who for some reason attracted only really crazy women). 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You would have enjoyed her (hilarious antics and beliefs) and then hated her because she was always so off the wall and doing spells on people to get them to do what she wanted.  Of course they never worked and she used to tell me stuff as if I was her best friend.  Once she had a crystal that had a very interesting point and she was showing it to me telling me it was a gift for some guy she was stalking.  I took the crystal and had the impulse to put one side of the point (it was a large quartz crystal) to my forehead, which caused her to totally freak out.  I am not sure why I did it, but I know she had "charged" that crystal with some message for the poor guy (who for some reason attracted only really crazy women). 

Sounds like the stuff I used to read on various occult forums. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Babysitter on Netflix, good movie, check it out! 

Where was this?

On 2/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, drakonwick said:

The Babysitter on Netflix, good movie, check it out! 

There was another movie with the same name that starred Alicia Silverstone that came out in 1995. Though the plot was different.

I mainly shared my story to see if anyone has had anything similar happen ? To this day I find myself laying in bed thinking about that night often trying to piece some logic into how it could have happened but nothing comes to mind and it bugs me way more then it should. I've gone over every possible scenario in my head and absolutely nothing comes close, everyone I talk to about it just chalks it off as paranormal **** but the literal volume of the crashing bang wouldn't even compare to the sound of a tank dropping on the front of the house, I don't even know what to compare it to it's so unexplainable. And especially to run and find absolutely nothing damaged or moved minus the front door being wide open which I absolutely 100% locked with the kind of dead bolt where you need a key to use on both sides. No one in the house or out, key still in door (always kept there) which would have stuck out far enough to shatter the mirror behind it if someone kicked it in.

It's just so frustrating to think about, I know some things don't need an explanation but to me this is just one of those things I can't shake. Usually there is some kind of logic but this just has none, even if it was paranormal how was that much sound created ? Why was it? How did the door I locked get unlocked and wide open with no one around inside or out. 

And I also found it weird that the couple hired me on the spot, especially now that I am a mom, i would never trust a stranger, **** I'm having a hard time accepting my son needs to go into daycare soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ksmii said:

In the gta  (Canada ontario)

I know it well. I'm 5 hours away. Wonder if they have a history of the address online?  Have you ever done a search for news on the address?

For something to make that much of an impact, I'm inclined to believe it is not a " friendly" entity . The parents should definitely consult a cleanser especially if that 3 year old is terrified.  Just saying.

• Like 1

I really don't think it was a ghost with a three year old that terrified,more likely something evil in the home.With the parents disregard for their kids safety I'm inclined to believe the parents themselves(one or both) may be the source of the horror in the home.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Could have been a micro bust. Had it happen once in my back yard. it blew the bbq into the neighboring yard. Scared the hell out of us. It sounded like a bomb went off. Not saying they don’t have a ghost, it’s just a probability. I was living in Markham at the time

Edited by Rollo

• 1 month later...

Guess this is old thread day for me.

Here's the thing: The OP keeps describing the sound as if it's not even possible. However, that's her interpretation of it. Someone else might think the sound wasn't all that imposing. Everyone is different and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone did open the door with intent to rob the house. Realized that it wasn't empty and took off.

As for the parents hiring you on the spot: I come from a small rural town where everyone knows everyone else. If you don't know someone, you probably know their sister, or mother, uncle, etc...So, hiring a babysitter in my day was never a big issue. Although I take it, they didn't know you or anyone else you knew. Sounds like they were desperate and talked themselves into thinking you were a safe hire. Thankfully for them, you were.

In the end, a door flew open for some reason and I would pretty much bet that's what made the sound. You will likely never come up with a feasible explanation if you can't accept that. Obsessing over it can't help.

This reminds me of something too. The murder of Cassie Jo Stoddart, who was house-sitting. The murder was inspired by the Scream franchise..

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what to say about the door but could the noise have been a sonic boom?

On 2/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, UM-Bot said:

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but why're you writing about a supposedly true account in a fictitious manner? Why give it a sensational name such as "the Babysitter?" Are you working on a short story?