Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery as bird hovers motionless

UM-Bot

The video is a jittery mess, but I think I have an explanation. I've seen birds essentially hovering like this, heading into a strong wind. They appear to balance themselves against the wind, remaining nearly motionless. For a bird of prey, or a scavenger, as this appears to be, this could be a useful maneuver. It could survey its surroundings with very little energy expended. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I think it's no bird at all. It's some kind of garbage, may be a torn plastic bag resembling a bird, hanging from the power lines.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

I think it's no bird at all. It's some kind of garbage, may be a torn plastic bag resembling a bird, hanging from the power lines.

I agree, doesn’t look like a bird to me, a bag or something. 

• Like 1

No. I live in Northern Virginia now and have for years but I lived for five years in central California and four years near the banks of the Mississippi River in Illinois as a much younger man. In the parts of the USA where there are frequent warm updrafts like the West, Southwest and the Midwest this phenomenon is seen all the time. These are either scavengers or birds of prey. They hover like this while targeting prey on the ground. Somehow they have learned to use warm (hot) updrafts to stay stationary or almost stationary in the air while they zero in on prey below. It is a little weird to see this but I have actually seen this or something very similar many times before. I am not sure but I am told that Andean Condors do this same thing.

• Like 2

Totally fake, otherwise they'd have got out of their car to film it close up from every angle..I smell pranksters at work, for examp it might have been a stuffed bird they'd hung on a thread from the phone wires..:D

• Like 2

The video is garbage. I really wish people would use some common sense when filming.
As others have already pointed out, birds can and do 'hover' on updrafts and headwinds.

• Like 2

Yup.   Explained.     I love to see flocks of birds ,or schools of fish, move in Unison ! !  It's absolutely amazing !    

Are they reacting to Winds?....water Currents? ...I think ,more likely in both cases,   electromagnetic fields ..??

Cannot watch the vid but: airspeed minus wind speed = ground speed

2 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A very strange video clip recently uploaded onto Facebook shows a bird seemingly frozen in mid-air.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/334443/glitch-in-the-matrix-as-bird-hovers-motionless

In my opinion it's not a bird at all, it's a kite. Maybe the people who filmed it we involved or maybe they weren't. At the distance they were from the so called bird you would not see the strings attached to it. Below is a photo of a Crow Kite.

Peace

IMG_0232.JPG

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

news-bird-frozen.jpg

Look right behind the birds tail feathers. 

One of those kites on the end of a cord that people fly to keep birds off, you mean? I see what you're getting at. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

news-bird-frozen.jpg

Look right behind the birds tail feathers. 

Having watched the video a couple of times, I am inclined to think it could be a kite. A pretty stiff one.

I have seen birds stationary in mid air, there is absolutely no mystery about that one. But there is always some movement in the wings when birds do this, in the video there is no movement or flapping at all, that and the bit at the back makes me think it is a kite.

Will never understand why the people who take these videos do not get out oc their car and why the zoom in and out?? Just keep it zoomed in on it! 

Terrible video! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Having watched the video a couple of times, I am inclined to think it could be a kite. A pretty stiff one.

I have seen birds stationary in mid air, there is absolutely no mystery about that one. But there is always some movement in the wings when birds do this, in the video there is no movement or flapping at all, that and the bit at the back makes me think it is a kite.

Will never understand why the people who take these videos do not get out oc their car and why the zoom in and out?? Just keep it zoomed in on it! 

Terrible video! 

There looks to be some kind of clear string attached to it. If it was a real bird and if there was a fishing line type of string on it, then it would be panicking. Could be a stationary bird, could be a kite, could even be something that got stuck in a tree.

Regardless of whether it is a bird, kite or trash..nithing is gong to hover completely motionless like that in a wind or other wise. Physically it is impossible.

If there is a wind then, unless the object is affixed to a pole, it is going to waver or pitch and yar..that is called 'basic physics' .

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

In my opinion it's not a bird at all, it's a kite. Maybe the people who filmed it we involved or maybe they weren't. At the distance they were from the so called bird you would not see the strings attached to it. Below is a photo of a Crow Kite.

Peace

IMG_0232.JPG

Just making sure that you aware that the photo you used is actually a living bird and that there are no strings attached to it?

It’s hard to tell from how you wrote your post. 

—————

kite

/kʌɪt/

noun

a toy consisting of a light frame with thin material stretched over it, flown in the wind at the end of a long string.

a medium to large long-winged bird of prey which typically has a forked tail and frequently soars on updraughts of air.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Just making sure that you aware that the photo you used is actually a living bird and that there are no strings attached to it?

It’s hard to tell from how you wrote your post. 

—————

kite

/kʌɪt/

noun

a toy consisting of a light frame with thin material stretched over it, flown in the wind at the end of a long string.

a medium to large long-winged bird of prey which typically has a forked tail and frequently soars on updraughts of air.

Your right, I made a mistake. I apologize to everyone the photo I posted above was not a kite, it was a real bird called a Kite.:blink:

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

6 hours ago, bison said:

The video is a jittery mess, but I think I have an explanation. I've seen birds essentially hovering like this, heading into a strong wind. They appear to balance themselves against the wind, remaining nearly motionless. For a bird of prey, or a scavenger, as this appears to be, this could be a useful maneuver. It could survey its surroundings with very little energy expended. 

Yep... you see gulls doing this all the time at the beach.  They just catch a breeze and float.

5 hours ago, Seti42 said:

The video is garbage. I really wish people would use some common sense when filming.
As others have already pointed out, birds can and do 'hover' on updrafts and headwinds.

No need to be a prick. What does knowing random fact #134 about birds have to do with common sense?

My 8 year old says kite, before I read him the comments.

• Like 1

Not liking these cheaply written articles. SO WHAT EVENTUALLY HAPPENED? DUH?

Man finds glitch in matrix, takes short video from his car, then ignores any further investigation, and then claims glitch in matrix.  Fake as f.

The bird looks to be completely static and unmoving. Even a bird hovering in place or stuck on something would be moving. So would a kite or trash bag or any misidentified object. I'm calling hoax on this one.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

Looks like a bird briefly station keeping in a strong upper headwind.