Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead galaxy

Damien99

So I have noticed it’s about a week now everyday there is a new article from a different source about this. Not sure why it keeps making the news day after day as though there is something up with it we should know about. 

can anyone explain what the big deal to us is?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/astronomers-have-found-an-ancient-galaxy-that-grew-fast-then-died-suddenly/amp

• Like 2

Any observation that falls outside of the standard model for star/galaxy formation might mean changing the model, so from that perspective it is interesting. The behaviour of the galaxy mentioned will have no direct affect on us here on Earth. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Any observation that falls outside of the standard model for star/galaxy formation might mean changing the model, so from that perspective it is interesting. The behaviour of the galaxy mentioned will have no direct affect on us here on Earth. 

Am I the only one that notices articles are written in a way for people to understand but also not understand 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

can anyone explain what the big deal to us is?

It's interesting to a lot of people and tells us how our own galaxy will die one day.

The grandchildren and I discuss astronomy all the time. We love it. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Am I the only one that notices articles are written in a way for people to understand but also not understand 

Some people understand really well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Some people understand really well. 

What I mean is they seem to throw in comment of gloom and doom 

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

What I mean is they seem to throw in comment of gloom and doom 

Media sensationalism, A.K.A. horse pucky.

Our galaxy won't end until humans are long gone. 

• Like 1

It could be something as simple as dust blocking the light, or Earth being out of range. But what everybody might secretly suspect is that it could be evidence of a different strong force : EM ratio. The current ratio is 1/137, and it has long been speculated if the ratio has changed since the early universe - or will change in the deep future.

Edit: Or the ratio being different in other parts of the universe.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It could be something as simple as dust blocking the light, or Earth being out of range. But what everybody might secretly suspect is that it could be evidence of a different strong force : EM ratio. The current ratio is 1/137, and it has long been speculated if the ratio has changed since the early universe - or will change in the deep future.

Edit: Or the ratio being different in other parts of the universe.

You lost me, how does this affect us here? Is it something they secretly suspect is something that can affect the earth?

Edited by Damien99

Just now, Damien99 said:

You lost me, how does this affect us here?

It doesn't. But it answers an old mystery in science about the consistency of the natural forces.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It doesn't. But it answers an old mystery in science about the consistency of the natural forces.

What do you mean by secretly suspect are they hiding something?

are you talking of vacuum decay?

Edited by Damien99

No, but it would be considered unprofessional and hyperbole to jump to conclusions. As an outsider I can do it without ridicule though :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, but it would be considered unprofessional and hyperbole to jump to conclusions. As an outsider I can do it without ridicule though :D

Please explain cause you have lost me, so you think it’s vacuum decay?

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

Please explain cause you have lost me, so you think it’s vacuum decay?

No, a different electromagnetic/strong force ratio.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

No, a different electromagnetic/strong force ratio.

I really do not know what that means 

your comment confused me on what you mean and what you think they secretly mean? If it was em strong force radio how does that affect us?

No, but it would be considered unprofessional and hyperbole to jump to conclusions. As an outsider I can do it without ridicule thoug:D

3 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I really do not know what that means 

your comment confused me on what you mean and what you think they secretly mean? If it was em strong force radio how does that affect us?

It does not affect us.

The strong force decides how much energy it takes to make new element nucleus', like Helium. The EM force decides the amount of light a star emits.
In our local part of the universe, in our time, that ratio is perfect for stars to live long lives: 1/137
The mystery is if it's a local value only, and if it's a current value only. Or if it's universal and forever.

• Like 2

It does not affect us.

The strong force decides how much energy it takes to make new element nucleus', like Helium. The EM force decides the amount of light a star emits.
In our local part of the universe, in our time, that ratio is perfect for stars to live long lives: 1/137
The mystery is if it's a local value only, and if it's a current value only. Or if it's universal and forever.

So basically can lead to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe

so you think whatever they found can lead to what happens to our galaxy 

Just now, Damien99 said:

So basically can lead to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe

so you think whatever they found can lead to what happens to our galaxy 

No it has no consequence for us. Remember, that light is 12 billion years old. It's a peek at the early universe in another region.

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

No it has no consequence for us. Remember, that light is 12 billion years old. It's a peek at the early universe in another region.

Yes but if light reached us from 12 billions years ago the cause for that light is reaching us also. So whatever caused this 12 billion years ago is reaching us now.

I am sorry it’s your comment you made that is confusing me 

Edited by Damien99

9 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I am sorry it’s your comment you made that is confusing me 

No professional researcher is going to speak about this publicly, like I am. It's much to early to speculate in such conclusion. But give it a year or two, and they might start. Unless of course it's just dust.

Just now, sci-nerd said:

No professional researcher is going to speak about this publicly, like I am. It's much to early to speculate in such conclusion. But give it a year or two, and they might start. Unless of course it's just dust.

I am sorry I am confused a little and looked up what you said about em radiation and changes and it seems to be a bad thing for us. 

i am trying to understand why it is , as you mentioned about it. I don’t understand what exactly it might be and why they will mention it in a year or 2. 
from my reading this seems like a possible doomsday scenario for us here on earth.

4 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

it seems to be a bad thing for us

It isn't. If a change should occur in our part of space, it would take billions of years, long after our sun has died.

4 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

And why not speak publicly about it for atleast a year or two

To avoid the embarrassment of making a premature statement. It has happened.

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

It isn't. If a change should occur in our part of space, it would take billions of years, long after our sun has died.

To avoid the embarrassment of making a premature statement. It has happened.

but if light reached us from 12 billions years ago the cause for that light is reaching us also. So whatever caused this 12 billion years ago is reaching us now