Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Damien99

Dead galaxy

81 posts in this topic

Damien99
52 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

No, a change in the fine-structure constant will not produce an energy vacuum. As far as I understand it, a quantum field vacuum decay is an ultimate resting state, lower than any resting state we have ever measured. That would require it to be stationary and below 0 kelvin. Everything in the universe is in motion, so I can't see how it could occur. And 0 kelvin is the coldest possible temperature.

So your saying the 1/137 has nothing to do with what is keeping the universe in the meta state. 

my understanding what it’s in this state is because the value is over 1. Once it drops below one then the state of the universe changes. 

from  what i understand if if the 1/137 em radiation drops below 1 that changes the  state of the universe from métastable  to true state.  

so if this dead galaxy may be a sign the 1/137 has changed then that would mean the state of the universe may have changed to a true vacuum and even if we ignore the above there is still the fact below that 

if 1/137 changed that mean life is no longer possible, if that is what they see with this old galaxy then we may not have much time left here 

Edited by Damien99

Damien99
1 hour ago, Damien99 said:

So your saying the 1/137 has nothing to do with what is keeping the universe in the meta state. 

my understanding what it’s in this state is because the value is over 1. Once it drops below one then the state of the universe changes. 

from  what i understand if if the 1/137 em radiation drops below 1 that changes the  state of the universe from métastable  to true state.  

so if this dead galaxy may be a sign the 1/137 has changed then that would mean the state of the universe may have changed to a true vacuum and even if we ignore the above there is still the fact below that 

if 1/137 changed that mean life is no longer possible, if that is what they see with this old galaxy then we may not have much time left here 

Also to add to my questions that are above what does this part mean 

. Or we could have a scenario that lies between these two outcomes."

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/ultramassive-galaxy-died-12-billion-years-ago.html

Damien99

Did I do something wrong? My post was moved 

Waspie_Dwarf
11 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Did I do something wrong? My post was moved 

Your post was moved to the correct forum. The "Space News - Astronomy and Astrophysics" and "Space News - Exploration and Spaceflight" forums are for posting news items on those subjects. the "Space Exploration, Spaceflight and Astronomy" is for my general discussion.

Since your topics are all either questions or personal observations they suit the "Space Exploration, Spaceflight and Astronomy" section better. This section also tends to have fewer posts and so subjects remain on the first page longer, encouraging longer debates.

Damien99
4 hours ago, Damien99 said:

What happens to my questions here now?

Damien99

If the fine structure changes, then it's not actually a constant. If photons lose energy with expansion, then they are subject to time delays. What I said is possible a change in fine structure constant can cause vacuum decay.

also is this the only dead galaxy ever found?

Edited by Damien99