Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fastest subsonic commercial flight

L.A.T.1961

A British Airways flight has set a new record for the fastest subsonic commercial flight from New York City to London, crossing the Atlantic Ocean in only four hours and 56 minutes.

The speed boost was a result of the storm system called Ciara, which propelled the passenger aircraft to speeds reaching 1,328 kilometres per hour.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/storm-ciara-spurs-transatlantic-flights-to-record-breaking-speeds-1.976349

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

..crossing the Atlantic Ocean in only four hours and 56 minutes. The speed boost was a result of the storm system called Ciara, which propelled the passenger aircraft to speeds reaching 1,328 kilometres per hour.

Cheats!..For the record, dear old Concorde used to average 3 hrs 30 mins for the crossing and didn't need no hurricane to push it..:D

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Cheats!..For the record, dear old Concorde used to average 3 hrs 30 mins for the crossing and didn't need no hurricane to push it..:D

The Concorde was the fastest plane for its time. Its first flight in 1969 reached its destination in only 27 minutes. And the final flight was October 24, 2003 from New York to London. It was actually considered the safest aircraft and had an excellent record. There was one crash that took place in 2000 Air France #4590 because of debris that flew up after takeoff and punctured the fuel engine killing all aboard. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

The Concorde was the fastest plane for its time.

No. In May 1965, five years before the maiden flight of the Concorde, a Lockheed YF-12A reached a speed of 2070mph, thats 715mph faster than the Concorde.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crikey said:

My sister lived in Bracknell for several years when Concorde was still in regular service, it would fly over mid morning at the same time and if I was visiting I would wait for it to come over. It was about three times louder than anything else that did not have a roundel on it. :D   

Edited by L.A.T.1961

5 hours ago, toast said:

No. In May 1965, five years before the maiden flight of the Concorde, a Lockheed YF-12A reached a speed of 2070mph, thats 715mph faster than the Concorde.

How many passengers could the YF-12A Blackbird carry?..:whistle:

Edited by Crikey

5 hours ago, Crikey said:

How many passengers could the YF-12A Blackbird carry?..:whistle:

Was the claim limited to commercial aircrafts? :whistle:

1 hour ago, toast said:

Was the claim limited to commercial aircrafts? :whistle:

Yes ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Yes ! 

No!

1 hour ago, toast said:

No!

To quote from the opening post article..... 

"...A British Airways flight has set a new record for the fastest subsonic commercial flight from New York City to London, ..."

:D 

Strictly speaking, in terms of speed-over-ground, this flight was supersonic. 

The sound barrier is 1235km/h. The aircraft was at 1328km/h. However, due to the tailwind, it was subsonic with reference to the surrounding air

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

To quote from the opening post article..... 

"...A British Airways flight has set a new record for the fastest subsonic commercial flight from New York City to London, ..."

My comment was related to:

17 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

The Concorde was the fastest plane for its time. (...)

:whistle:

39 minutes ago, Crikey said:

America can put men on the moon 50 years ago but it still can't build a supersonic airliner..:P

At least one Briton dont have a clue about the economy of commercial air travel.

Speaking of great British triumphs, English was the first language spoken on another world, who can ever forget Armstrong's immortal words..:D

apollo-11.jpg

Edited by Crikey

19 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

My sister lived in Bracknell for several years when Concorde was still in regular service, it would fly over mid morning at the same time and if I was visiting I would wait for it to come over. It was about three times louder than anything else that did not have a roundel on it. :D   

yep, i used to live close to JFK, every evening around 5pm we heard it, louder than anything