Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Radio signals hit Earth every 16 days

Eldorado

"Scientists are baffled by a mysterious object 500 million light years away that is transmitting signals that hit Earth every 16 days.

"Although scientists do not know what is causing the phenomenon, they are recognising it as the first reliable pattern of fast radio bursts in deep space.

"Such signals have been a source of confusion for scientists since they were first discovered in 2007, as up until now, none of the fast radio bursts studied had exhibited any sort of steady tempo."

Full monty at UniLad UK: https://www.unilad.co.uk/science/radio-signals-hit-earth-every-16-days-from-500-million-light-years-away/

"This is the first fast radio burst known to have a steady beat"

And at Science News: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/first-fast-radio-burst-steady-beat

• Like 5

This is scary, Whatever is causing it is coming towards us now. What ever it is may be coming to hurt us

Edited by Damien99
  • Like 1

Isn’t that what radio waves are. Is detecting something coming in the same direction . He we have radio waves which we can’t explain?

Edited by Damien99

There are radio signals, and there are radio signals. No mention of the characteristics other than the interval between them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Isn’t that what radio waves are. Is detecting something coming in the same direction . He we have radio waves which we can’t explain?

Nope, just a radio signal coming in our direction. 

Quasars, pulsars, stars and a bunch of other things give off radio waves. That's why some galaxies are called "radio galaxies". 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_galaxy

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

There are radio signals, and there are radio signals. No mention of the characteristics other than the interval between them.

I don’t really understand radio signals, from my understanding whatever is sending them our way is also coming in our direction same as they are?

plus whatever is doing this every 16 days is something coming we are detecting as it gets closer every 16 days?

Edited by Damien99

Just now, Habitat said:

It's Moron of Kobol sending a message to Urantia from the blond haired blue eyed, space alien Jesus Bunny.........or is it Santa Christ? :unsure2:

Maybe its Herme Spermatite from the planet Gnoxious? :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

I don’t really understand radio signals, from my understanding whatever is sending them our way is also coming in our direction same as they are?

No. And radio signals can and do have known natural origins,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

It's Moron of Kobol sending a message to Urantia from the blond haired blue eyed, space alien Jesus Bunny.........or is it Santa Christ? :unsure2:

Maybe its Herme Spermatite from the planet Gnoxious? :o

I don’t understand why you are making fun of me?

i am not sure what these are and what they mean. We have neutrinos events we don’t get, gravitational events we don’t get, and now radio waves we don’t get,  I am not sure what any means f this means but we have different un-understood events hitting us? 

i am stating what I understand and if I am wrong then please correct me

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Frequency Modulation travels in a straight line. Amplitude Modulation bounces around but they come from a source moving or staying still in any direction.

If I'm on my radio talking to another medic or cop, I'm not heading toward them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Damien99 said:

I don’t understand why you are making fun of me?

Not you. :lol:

I'm making fun of Habbies. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Frequency Modulation travels in a straight line. Amplitude Modulation bounces around but they come from a source moving or staying still in any direction.

If I'm on my radio talking to another medic or cop, I'm not heading toward them

But as the articles claim these are constant, constantly hitting us and unexplained 

Still, quite an interesting happening in the history of radio astronomy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Damien99 said:

But as the articles claim these are constant, constantly hitting us and unexplained 

My radio was always hitting County Central but I never went there.....except for a new one. 

• Like 3

Just be glad you aren't paying the electricity bill for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

What does radio signals mean then?

Lightning emits radio signals. That's the crackle you hear on the AM band when there are storms around. Back in the day it was a good way of telling whether there were storms about, but you could not see directly. Today you can look at weather radars etc.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

What does radio signals mean then?

Nothing. Just static. Like the Cosmic Microwave Background from the beginning of the Universe is the "snow" on old TVs. 

• Like 4

Probably our own radio signals being reflected back towards us.  Might help us to measure the size of the Universe.

Cool opening to this movie - Earth Radio signals spreading far beyond the stars.

What do Aliens hear.

1999 ------------------ 1900

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 2

I am just to stupid to understand radio signals 

And for some reason i ask for it to be explained and I get made fun of, I am sorry that I am just trying to get it.

Edited by Damien99

8 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I am confused

the signals are reaching earth from really close 

Keep the doors locked just in case !

It's probably not from a Pulsar. The slowest of these repeats at the rate of 23 & 1/2 minutes. Likely not a Magnetar, either. These highly magnetic neutron stars spin and repeat their radio emissions in even shorter periods of time.  

It could be star going around a black hole or massive star, with an orbital period of 16.35 days. The mechanism that produces these huge bursts of energy isn't clear. Either body might be having matter pulled away from it and triggering bursts of fusion on its companion's surface.  As they revolve around one another, the bursts point in our direction every 16 days, give or take a couple of days.   

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bison said:

It's probably not from a Pulsar. The slowest of these repeats at the rate of 23 & 1/2 minutes. Likely not a Magnetar, either. These highly magnetic neutron stars spin and repeat their radio emissions in even shorter periods of time.  

It could be star going around a black hole or massive star, with an orbital period of 16.35 days. The mechanism that produces these huge bursts of energy isn't clear. Either body might be having matter pulled away from it and triggering bursts of fusion on its companion's surface.  As they revolve around one another, the bursts point in our direction every 16 days, give or take a couple of days.   

But it’s something coming towards us, as I mentioned high neutrinos are hitting us we don’t know why, gravitation waves are hitting us recently we don’t know why and now radio ways are bombarding us we don’t k ow why. 

so these waves and the others mean something may be coming to hit us.