Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Psychology of Hate

Jujo-jo

Fear of "the other"

Fear of ourself

Lack of self-compassion

It fills a void

Societal and Cultural Factors

Wanis explains, “Hatred is driven by two key emotions of love and aggression: One love for the in-group—the group that is favored; and two, aggression for the out-group—the group that has been deemed as being different, dangerous, and a threat to the in-group.”

Full article:

The Psychology of Hate | Psychology Today https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/nurturing-self-compassion/201703/the-psychology-hate%3famp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s a guy named Darryl Davis who was recently on The Joe Rogan Experience. He’s a musician who went on a mission to understand how someone he’s never met could hate him. And through his ventures has managed to get many klan members and neo nazis to turn in their robes and leave the life Of hate.

really enlightening to see the psychology of both sides which makes people hate one another, which is mainly due to ignorance and false information while appealing to the “they” authority.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hatred is driven by fear, and fear is a result of ignorance.

That's my tuppence worth. :yes:

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this is what you're looking for in this thread, but I wanted to share a personal experience I had with hate last week.  

I'm not trying to be snarky or anything but I really, really HATE those annoying little ride share scooters that companies have been distributing in cities.  I hate the way people ride those things on sidewalks and nearly kill people; I hate the way they leave them lying around for people to trip over; I hate the way the robot voice screams at you that it is going to call the police if you try to move it;  and I hate the way the local media and politicians talk about these things as if they're a legitimate form of transportation when they're actually just recreational toys.

Last week a company dropped off some of the new, heavy-duty, vandal-proof (supposedly) models in my neighborhood including one right in front of my house.  Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm the most easy-going person in the world but when I saw this, something inside of me snapped!  I dragged the thing into my backyard and eventually took a hammer to the screen, spider webbing it.  I dragged it back to its original place.  It talks no more.  It felt so good to kill that b****** that I got some spray foam insulator from the local hardware store and nailed 3 more of them the next night.  Once that stuff has cured, it can only be removed by scraping and sanding.  Good luck trying to ride those!

I don't know who owns the company or who distributes the scooters, but damn I hate them.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sheltie said:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for in this thread, but I wanted to share a personal experience I had with hate last week.  

I'm not trying to be snarky or anything but I really, really HATE those annoying little ride share scooters that companies have been distributing in cities.  I hate the way people ride those things on sidewalks and nearly kill people; I hate the way they leave them lying around for people to trip over; I hate the way the robot voice screams at you that it is going to call the police if you try to move it;  and I hate the way the local media and politicians talk about these things as if they're a legitimate form of transportation when they're actually just recreational toys.

Last week a company dropped off some of the new, heavy-duty, vandal-proof (supposedly) models in my neighborhood including one right in front of my house.  Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm the most easy-going person in the world but when I saw this, something inside of me snapped!  I dragged the thing into my backyard and eventually took a hammer to the screen, spider webbing it.  I dragged it back to its original place.  It talks no more.  It felt so good to kill that b****** that I got some spray foam insulator from the local hardware store and nailed 3 more of them the next night.  Once that stuff has cured, it can only be removed by scraping and sanding.  Good luck trying to ride those!

I don't know who owns the company or who distributes the scooters, but damn I hate them.  

Oh my lol

hatred of the invasion of privacy could have been a contributor there, these annoying little demons placed right at your door. I despise them as well. I think it’s a stab at progressing communism-leave crap everywhere no one takes care of because they don’t own it and no one is really responsible for the litter they become....

maybe those folk really have a good intent in pushing forward with these ridiculous ideas, to bad they can’t seem to think it through.

I can’t seem to hate people, I prefer people to be self responsible and free.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

Oh my lol

hatred of the invasion of privacy could have been a contributor there, these annoying little demons placed right at your door. I despise them as well. I think it’s a stab at progressing communism-leave crap everywhere no one takes care of because they don’t own it and no one is really responsible for the litter they become....

maybe those folk really have a good intent in pushing forward with these ridiculous ideas, to bad they can’t seem to think it through.

I can’t seem to hate people, I prefer people to be self responsible and free.

Thanks, Wes.  You hit a lot of the right notes with your comments.  Yes, in fact I probably don't really hate any of the people involved at all.  You're right -- what I really hate is only what the scooters symbolize.      

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For me, hate is unrealized aggression towards something or someone hostile. 

I never bought into the whole love thing, if you do me wrong, I'd naturally want to eliminated you away from my path, if the only way is by force so be it. The stronger wins, it's the natural order of things. So when the boundaries kick in (like law, being not capable or strong enough to finght etc), fight instinct turns into hate. 

Hate is natural response, nothing to be ashamed of or looked down at.

Unprovoked hate might be some kind of psychic problem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Simple, someone gave you a reason to hate them, or you were manipulated into divide and conquer mentality That is, it is tough, or learned behavior, or in some cases, earned.

• Thanks 1