Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Third of UK not much interested in Smart Tech

Eldorado

"While people are confident in using smart tech, a good proportion simply don’t want to invest in it yet, according to new research.

"The research, conducted by Toluna and Harris Interactive, has revealed some interesting perceptions on the familiarity and use of new technologies by people across the UK.

"Highlight stats include:

• 31% of people don’t own a wearable, voice assistant device or smart home appliance
  • 46% of people said that they would not be comfortable with retail stores using facial recognition technology to better personalize point of sale adverts
  • If advertising was introduced to smart speakers, nearly 40% would be less willing to use them."

Full monty at NetImperative dot com: http://www.netimperative.com/2020/02/nearly-one-third-of-uk-consumers-dont-own-smart-tech-devices-and-they-dont-want-ads/

And at Harris: https://harris-interactive.co.uk/press/nearly-one-third-of-uk-consumers-dont-own-smart-tech-devices/

• Like 2

acute

My sister's technophobia is hilarious!

She's dumped her first ever smartphone, after never setting it up, and gone back to her camera-less fossil fone.

Also... She was given an Amazon smart speaker for Christmas, but she's moved it to the bedroom, so that it can't hear her talking in the living room.

:lol:

• Haha 3

RoofGardener

Hilarious ? Very sensible, in my opinion :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Desertrat56
55 minutes ago, acute said:

She's dumped her first ever smartphone, after never setting it up, and gone back to her camera-less fossil fone.

Also... She was given an Amazon smart speaker for Christmas, but she's moved it to the bedroom, so that it can't hear her talking in the living room.

She's actually smarter than most if her main concern is privacy.  You have no privacy with a smart phone or a device that you can verbally ask for internet searches or music playlists.  Or even a smart tv.  They all record what you say and maybe the data gets stored somewhere, where someone can wade through it looking for key words or what ever.  The set up for big brother and the minority report.

• Like 1

Montmorency the Dog
2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"While people are confident in using smart tech, a good proportion simply don’t want to invest in it yet, according to new research.

What I find amazing, and thoroughly bemusing, is that 54% of people apprently are comfortable with retail stores using facial recognition technology to better personalize point of sale adverts. :mellow:   And ----- me, is "If advertising was introduced to smart speakers, nearly 40% would be less willing to use them." really a surprise? Where did technology take a wrong turning so that it's now devoted to either monitoring and eavesdropping on us or offering new and even more exciting opportunities for us to be advertised at? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Montmorency the Dog
1 hour ago, acute said:

Not surrendering to worshipping at the Temple of Bezos? Amazon was originally a mail order company, one whose treatment of its workers was decidedly iffy, but one which provided a useful service. Now it's the sheer ubiquity of these companions - it's either Amazon, Elon Musk in one of his manifestations, or Google that's behind nearly everything

acute

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

The reason she moved it wasn't privacy.  She didn't like it firing up every time she mentioned Alexa!

Desertrat56
13 minutes ago, acute said:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

The reason she moved it wasn't privacy.  She didn't like it firing up every time she mentioned Alexa!

LOL.  Do you have an Alexa person in the family?  My friend gets frustrated because her Amazon Echo responds when she calls her daughter, Alyssa's name.  Alexa is partially deaf and easily confused.  They need an option to be able to change Alexa's name so you don't have confusion.

• Like 1

acute
17 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Do you have an Alexa person in the family?  My friend gets frustrated because her Amazon Echo responds when she calls her daughter, Alyssa's name.

Her granddaughter is Alycia, but the main problem is that my sister can't stop herself referring to "Alexa" in conversation, instead of mentioning her Amazon Echo!

Desertrat56
19 minutes ago, acute said:

Her granddaughter is Alycia, but the main problem is that my sister can't stop herself referring to "Alexa" in conversation, instead of mentioning her Amazon Echo!

Or she could just get used to saying "that damn internet machine".  Everyone would know what she is talking about.:lol:

• Haha 2

BorizBadinov
On 2/10/2020 at 10:19 AM, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

is "If advertising was introduced to smart speakers, nearly 40% would be less willing to use them." really a surprise? 

It does amaze me

I would have expected much closer to 100% 

• Like 2