Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cruise Becomes Modern Day Plague Ship

Raptor Witness

Carnival cruise ship is running out of ports after 5 nations block entry on coronavirus fears  - Fortune Magazine 2-11-2020

Thailand became the latest country to turn a Holland America Line cruise ship away from its ports, sparking concern for the 2,257 passengers and crew desperate to disembark after almost two weeks at sea.

The ship reportedly has 600 Americans on board, with passengers crying out to Donald Trump on Twitter like Dorothy in Oz.

• Like 2

I hope those people are not dying from that virus and I hope it is contained, though it inconveniences everyone on the ship, I think it is a good thing to quarantine it until WHO determines what the virus is that is going around on that ship.

• Like 1

A friend of mine was on a cruise ship which had the Norovirus.

She sent me this video when she was confined to her cabin and the ship was not allowed to dock.  Always cheerful in every situation.  B)

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 2

Trump on how this all works ... he waves his hands in the air, and the virus miraculously goes away in April.

I hope his forecast is correct, but I have some doubts that this will be so simple. What I would like to hear, is for our military base in Guam to allow these Americans to depart and fly home, at least to quarantine. This is an insane situation that can’t be magic wanded away, Mr. President.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Haha 1

He looks like he fell asleep in the tanning bed again.

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I hope those people are not dying from that virus and I hope it is contained, though it inconveniences everyone on the ship, I think it is a good thing to quarantine it until WHO determines what the virus is that is going around on that ship.

If there's disease on board, I would suspect norovirus more than coronavirus.  The norovirus is fairly common on cruise ships (and everywhere else, come to think of it.)  I haven't read reports of anyone dying... but the risk will go up the longer they remain in close quarters together.  

The crew must be at wit's end.  Can you imagine trying to deal with those passengers?  

• Like 3

At some point, they'll need resupply.  I guess our Navy could help with that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Trump on how this all works ... he waves his hands in the air, and the virus miraculously goes away in April.

I hope his forecast is correct, but I have some doubts that this will be so simple. What I would like to hear, is for our military base in Guam to allow these Americans to depart and fly home, at least to quarantine. This is an insane situation that can’t be magic wanded away, Mr. President.

It may be contained by April, but it won't go away.  That's not how disease works.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

If there's disease on board, I would suspect norovirus more than coronavirus.  The norovirus is fairly common on cruise ships (and everywhere else, come to think of it.)  I haven't read reports of anyone dying... but the risk will go up the longer they remain in close quarters together.  

The crew must be at wit's end.  Can you imagine trying to deal with those passengers?  

I can't even imagine myself on one of those boats, I am sure the crew is up to their eyeballs in all kinds of stuff, including trying to keep everyone entertained.  I hope they don't 'run out of food.

• Like 2

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I can't even imagine myself on one of those boats, I am sure the crew is up to their eyeballs in all kinds of stuff, including trying to keep everyone entertained.  I hope they don't 'run out of food.

They've been resupplied.  Pumping out the poop, however, is going to be another issue.

• Like 2

Princess Cruises announced Tuesday that 39 additional people have tested positive for coronavirus on Diamond Princess, bringing the total number of people on the ship that have fallen ill with the virus to 174; at least 20 of them are American - USA Today 2-11-2020

Why isn’t the United States government doing something to get these Americans off this second ship, which has become a floating incubus in a Japanese harbor?

Every day, the Japanese drag more patients off the ship, so the illness is clearly spreading or likely has already spread.

Imagine being trapped in a tiny little interior cabin, without much fresh air, and the air that’s being circulated, is likely mixing between these rooms.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Finally, the vacation weary Americans start posting actual video about their experiences aboard the acclaimed “plague ship” Westerdam.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Thanks 1

"Cambodia has agreed to let a cruise ship that has been turned away by five countries over fears that someone aboard may have the coronavirus dock and disembark its passengers, the Holland America Line said on Wednesday. "

At Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand-cruiseship/cambodia-to-allow-cruise-ship-shunned-over-virus-fears-to-dock-idUKKBN2060SB?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Cambodia has agreed to let a cruise ship that has been turned away by five countries over fears that someone aboard may have the coronavirus dock and disembark its passengers, the Holland America Line said on Wednesday. "

At Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand-cruiseship/cambodia-to-allow-cruise-ship-shunned-over-virus-fears-to-dock-idUKKBN2060SB?

God bless the Cambodians. I have just put them on my bucket list.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It may be contained by April, but it won't go away.  That's not how disease works.

it kida is how it works.

Coronavirus expert says he knows when the virus 'will burn itself out,' according to leaked analysis

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/coronavirus-expert-says-the-virus-will-burn-itself-out-in-about-6-months/679415

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

God bless the Cambodians. I have just put them on my bucket list.

cambodians have nothing to do with it, i have a strong feeling they do not like the idea, nor their gvmnt asked them, i'm sure there is a large $$$$ for that for cambodian gvmnt. not  the people of cambodia.   

Maybe if the pandemic was intense and the sickness more virulent, some country navy will do what has been done before to plague ship, sink it far from land...

Sadly, it looks like our "plague ship," the Westerdam wasn't so safe, after all ..... Here's the Latest news. Unbelievable how fast this is spreading ....

Meanwhile, an 83-year-old American woman aboard another cruise ship, which docked in Cambodia on Friday after being refused by five other ports, tested positive for coronavirus. Cambodia had cleared her and others on the ship to travel, but she was tested again in Malaysia after flying there and showing symptoms, according to Malaysian health officials. Washington Post 2-15-2020

• Sad 2

They should have just flown in supplies and fuel and had those ships wait it out in quarantine.

It looks like the Americans are escaping the plague ship Diamond Princess, parked in Japan. It’s off to quarantine in the U.S. for 14 days.

The Brits, sadly, are left waiting....... with no word from their government.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Thanks 1

Our family went to the local Carvery today, and I had an opportunity to chat with my Sister, who is a NHS Healthcare Assistant, and also has followed this story since its inception. 

Her take is that Covid-19 is WAY more infectious than.. well... almost anything that has gone before. Including Disco and marmite-flavoured crisps !! It appears to be genuinely unique from that perspective. It is also NASTY in that infected people can pass on the disease, without showing ANY symptoms themselves,  for about 12 days. 

She didn't have an opinion on mortality yet (other than noting that - unusually - it doesn't seem to be effecting children). 

She also pointed out that we have VERY little information about the disease. So the previous assumptions about weather slowing it down are purely hypothetical. A reasonable hypothesis, perhaps, but one made without knowledge of the transmission mechanisms of this particular disease. 

She also opined that the Cauliflower Cheese was rather hard and lumpy. And she was RIGHT ! So I would take her opinions seriously, if I where you ? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Our family went to the local Carvery today, and I had an opportunity to chat with my Sister, who is a NHS Healthcare Assistant, and also has followed this story since its inception. 

Her take is that Covid-19 is WAY more infectious than.. well... almost anything that has gone before. Including Disco and marmite-flavoured crisps !! It appears to be genuinely unique from that perspective. It is also NASTY in that infected people can pass on the disease, without showing ANY symptoms themselves,  for about 12 days. 

She didn't have an opinion on mortality yet (other than noting that - unusually - it doesn't seem to be effecting children). 

She also pointed out that we have VERY little information about the disease. So the previous assumptions about weather slowing it down are purely hypothetical. A reasonable hypothesis, perhaps, but one made without knowledge of the transmission mechanisms of this particular disease. 

She also opined that the Cauliflower Cheese was rather hard and lumpy. And she was RIGHT ! So I would take her opinions seriously, if I where you ? 

Uhuh. 

Funny that PHE would say this then:

Based on current evidence, novel coronavirus (COVID-19) presents with flu-like symptoms including a fever, a cough, or difficulty breathing. The current evidence is that most cases appear to be mild. Those who have died in Wuhan appear to have had pre-existing health conditions.