Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greta Thunberg at the BBC.

hetrodoxly

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Nope, I'm going to point out your scientific illiteracy until you decide to educate yourself. 

Then you'll actually be capable of a debate on the subject. 

I refer you to my previous post, cuckoo, cuckoo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

No hate, i used to find her act boring and didn't need a 16 year old girl to tell me what i already knew, the fact it was all set up and she was created by big business i now find it sinister. who's funding it?

Greta seems to bring out the worst in people for some reason. Guess it hits a nerve to be berated by a child, or to be told what you supposedly already know. Also, that she was set up by big business is not a fact. That she's being manipulated by her parents and others is also not a fact. Regardless of what you or anyone thinks of her message Greta deserves appreciation, not abuse on a global scale. Indeed, the hatred and vitriol levied against her is almost pathological.

As for BBC Studios, it is commercially funded. They make their money a number of different ways, including selling programs to other broadcasting companies, as well as selling videos of some of their programs to the public. Not a penny from the licensing fees collected goes there.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Added BBC Studios info.

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Greta seems to bring out the worst in people for some reason. Guess it hits a nerve to be berated by a child, or to be told what you supposedly already know. Also, that she was set up by big business is not a fact. That she's being manipulated by her parents and others is also not a fact. Regardless of what you or anyone thinks of her message Greta deserves appreciation, not abuse on a global scale. Indeed, the hatred and vitriol levied against her is almost pathological.

As for BBC Studios, it is commercially funded. They make their money a number of different ways, including selling programs to other broadcasting companies, as well as selling videos of some of their programs. Not a penny from the licensing fees collected goes there.

If you think that's 'the worst' in me your in for a big surprise, does her mom push her harder so she can have even bigger breasts, i don't know or care, i've seen the videos of all her large beefy minders stopping people talking to her, i've seen her not being able to answer simple questions because she hasn't been told what to say, i've seen her being maneuvered in to position to be in the right place to pull a face as Trump walked by, i've seen enough and it's all manufactured, maybe it's you that should consider your thoughts on this, the very reason they've used a small girl even for her age is to do what you're doing, to stifle questioning, to call those who question her names because who or what she is and that's someone carefully chosen, if i need to know anything i want a cool calm expert to tell me.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

because she has no scientific knowledge, and has made herself a celebrity by creating fear among people who genuinely believe that human life will become extinct within ten years because that's what Saint Greta, the Guru of Climate Change, has told them. If you don't see that as reprehensible, then I'm very sorry for you.

your sorrow for me is misplaced, but if it serves you, may you find it satisfying.

i carry no torch for this media representation of a teen age girl's perspective of climate.

the media coverage of her, is not the girl, nor are the reactions, nor are the projections on both sides of her motives, experience or effectiveness.

I'm at best, tangentially and momentarily intrigued by the level of vitriol and worship inspired by the projections of those reacting.

Her media image arouses no emotions in me, neither of castigation, nor adoration... aside from a certain unignorable respect for her fortitude in representing her authentic take on life fearlessly, which in the end, isn't that what we all do every time we open our mouths? 

Share our take on things? 

Most of us just don't have to deal with hundreds of millions of reactions to them.

Her unflinching in the face of that, is admirable to me. 

I don't have to accept or reject her words instantaneously. 

It's that way with many concepts across the board of late.

systemic shift is afoot in our institutions... and within my own process.

As within, without, As above, so below.

Cheers!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

If you think that's 'the worst' in me your in for a big surprise, does her mom push her harder so she can have even bigger breasts, i don't know or care, i've seen the videos of all her large beefy minders stopping people talking to her, i've seen her not being able to answer simple questions because she hasn't been told what to say, i've seen her being maneuvered in to position to be in the right place to pull a face as Trump walked by, i've seen enough and it's all manufactured, maybe it's you that should consider your thoughts on this, the very reason they've used a small girl even for her age is to do what you're doing, to stifle questioning, to call those who question her names because who or what she is and that's someone carefully chosen, if i need to know anything i want a cool calm expert to tell me.   

What do her breasts have to do with this? That was a totally inane and unecessary comment. Interesting though that you don't care if her mother pushed her to do that, but care that her mother pushed her on a global environmental platform (which, by the way, she did not do). Greta is not manufactured in the least. I'm not surprised, however, that all the disinformation, doctored videos/images, and the like, that are out there ihave influenced people to perceive her as such. What I see is a passionate young girl delivering an important science based message. She can’t be expected (at such a young age) to know what specific actions need to be taken by government agencies. What she does do (much to the annoyance of her detractors) is stay focused on the need for immediate action and the failure of adults to do just that. And a lot of those adults just can't handle that truth.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

if i need to know anything i want a cool calm expert to tell me.   

They have. For years. 

You said it was all a lie. 

So now a child has to explain it to you. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Setton said:

They have. For years. 

the Experts who've been saying for at least 30 years that cities will be swamped by Rising Sea Levels within 10 years? Are these the cool calm experts you're talking about? This kind of "experts" - the kind of "experts" who get on TV and in the media - do the experts who conduct research in a cool and calm way a decided disservice. And why do these experts - the telegenic experts - never seem to be able to offer any practical advice regarding adapting to and living with rising sea levels, if sea levels are going to rise, but just Warn? "Scientists are Warning." Well, thanks, scientists. And why do these scientists - the scientists with an agenda to push - never seem to take any consideration whatsoever of long term trends and that, as far as it's possible to discern from historical record, there've been much greater fluctuations in temperature over the really long term? Why are these experts, the TV experts, so completely fixated on one possible contributor to temperature rises, CO2, and never take anything else into account, such as the Sun, which many experts would tell you has always had a not insignificant effect on climate?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, quiXilver said:

your sorrow for me is misplaced, but if it serves you, may you find it satisfying.

i carry no torch for this media representation of a teen age girl's perspective of climate.

the media coverage of her, is not the girl, nor are the reactions, nor are the projections on both sides of her motives, experience or effectiveness.

I'm at best, tangentially and momentarily intrigued by the level of vitriol and worship inspired by the projections of those reacting.

Her media image arouses no emotions in me, neither of castigation, nor adoration... aside from a certain unignorable respect for her fortitude in representing her authentic take on life fearlessly, which in the end, isn't that what we all do every time we open our mouths? 

Share our take on things? 

Most of us just don't have to deal with hundreds of millions of reactions to them.

Her unflinching in the face of that, is admirable to me. 

I don't have to accept or reject her words instantaneously. 

It's that way with many concepts across the board of late.

systemic shift is afoot in our institutions... and within my own process.

As within, without, As above, so below.

Cheers!

that's 

rather in the form

of a haiku 

thank you.

• Like 1

This sums up rather nicely the vagueness, inconsistency and the way that predictions are always just around the corner.

The latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) of the United Nations concludes that  ocean  levels could rise between 2 and 3 feet by 2100. A similar report in 2017 from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)  suggests   that the “global mean sea level” increase could be as much as 6 to 8 feet by the end of this century. Al Gore, in his 2006 book “An Inconvenient Truth,” famously opined that increased global warming might well produce a 20 foot increase in ocean levels sometime “in the near future.” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Setton said:

They have. For years. 

Don't you get fed up of being wrong, i've never once said it was a lie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

"Scientists are Warning." 

As a scientist I am aghast at your complacency.  I'm warning you - take our warnings more seriously or there'll be more sinister warnings to come. 

Do you want all the polar bears to drown?  Do you?  Cos that's what will happen if you ignore the warnings.  And the penguins, probably - and they're even cuter.  Do you ever think about the penguins, you monstrous, evil warning-denier?

I can't say this any clearer: if we don't address this lack of respect for warnings something will happen that was warned about.  And we won't say "we did warn you".  Actually - yes we will, lots.

• So cut the cr@p and stop ignoring,  Scientists are trained for warning.
  • Gotta stop global warming,  Greta's message isn't boring.
  • So heed the warnings or you'll get:  Far more warnings from our set,
  • Green Targets that can't be met,  And your name trashed on't Internet.

Sort your act out, Mr D. Awesome, or this verse will get longer.  I'm warning you.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

What do her breasts have to do with this? That was a totally inane and unecessary comment. Interesting though that you don't care if her mother pushed her to do that, but care that her mother pushed her on a global environmental platform (which, by the way, she did not do). Greta is not manufactured in the least. I'm not surprised, however, that all the disinformation, doctored videos/images, and the like, that are out there ihave influenced people to perceive her as such. What I see is a passionate young girl delivering an important science based message. She can’t be expected (at such a young age) to know what specific actions need to be taken by government agencies. What she does do (much to the annoyance of her detractors) is stay focused on the need for immediate action and the failure of adults to do just that. And a lot of those adults just can't handle that truth.

You need to do some more research, you've fallen for it hook line and sinker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

You need to do some more research, you've fallen for it hook line and sinker.

That's rich coming from you. The list of adults (particlularly middle-aged men) who've attacked Greta is incredibly long. A symptom no doubt of underlying misogyny and obvious resentment of being scolded by a child. It's pathetic.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

That's rich coming from you. The list of adults (particlularly middle-aged men) who've attacked Greta is incredibly long. A symptom no doubt of underlying misogyny and obvious resentment of being scolded by a child. It's pathetic.

Why should i get my information from Greta? i'd prefer it from an expert. 

• Thanks 1

Odd question that's directed to anyone. What are you actually doing for the environment? 

Edited by XenoFish

4 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

the Experts who've been saying for at least 30 years that cities will be swamped by Rising Sea Levels within 10 years? Are these the cool calm experts you're talking about? This kind of "experts" - the kind of "experts" who get on TV and in the media - do the experts who conduct research in a cool and calm way a decided disservice. And why do these experts - the telegenic experts - never seem to be able to offer any practical advice regarding adapting to and living with rising sea levels, if sea levels are going to rise, but just Warn? "Scientists are Warning." Well, thanks, scientists. And why do these scientists - the scientists with an agenda to push - never seem to take any consideration whatsoever of long term trends and that, as far as it's possible to discern from historical record, there've been much greater fluctuations in temperature over the really long term? Why are these experts, the TV experts, so completely fixated on one possible contributor to temperature rises, CO2, and never take anything else into account, such as the Sun, which many experts would tell you has always had a not insignificant effect on climate?

I can't speak for TV experts as I don't think I've ever seen any. The real experts do consider all these things and still conclude that the CO2 we produce is driving temperature rises, with serious consequences for life.

The fact that so many, as clearly demonstrated in this thread, don't bother to actually read the research and think Youtube is a suitable substitute, is another matter. 

29 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

And which 'expert' do you get your information from? 

YouTube or twitter? 

3 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Don't you get fed up of being wrong, i've never once said it was a lie.

So you agree she's right, you just don't like being told by a child. 

Got it. 

53 minutes ago, Setton said:

Got it. 

They could have got a dog and an actor to do a voice over 'How dare you' or a cartoon, it's all the same to me, i don't need gimmicks, i want experts.

Got it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Odd question that's directed to anyone. What are you actually doing for the environment? 

well i gave up on idea of buying my private jet,  instead we bought a piston\prop plane, it  is so much better for environment. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Greta is an environmental activist. 

She's focused on raising awareness and effecting changes in environmental policies for the better, not providing expert information.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Setton said:

Got it. 

right about what? "Co2 is the root of all evil! ban it! ban it!"? "Life on earth will be extinct within 10 years!!" (or is that Occasional Cortez, someone who does indeed make Great look like a Nobel Prize for Science winner.) Or scowling and saying "How dare you!"? 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 3