Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Church of England is 'institutionally racist'

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"The Church of England is "still deeply institutionally racist", the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

"The Most Reverend Justin Welby said at a meeting of the Church's ruling body, the General Synod, that he was "ashamed" of its history of racism.

"Mr Welby's words came as Synod members backed a motion to apologise for racism in the Church of England since the arrival of the Windrush generation.

"The body also voted to "stamp out conscious or unconscious" racism."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51469566

And at Sky UK: https://news.sky.com/story/church-of-england-still-deeply-institutionally-racist-archbishop-says-11931978

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
RoofGardener

Pathetic self-flagellating virtue signalling. And they wonder why people are abandoning the Church ? 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
57 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"The body also voted to "stamp out conscious or unconscious" racism."

Stop thinking about it and talking about it. :yes:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
23 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"The Church of England is "still deeply institutionally racist", the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

"The Most Reverend Justin Welby said at a meeting of the Church's ruling body, the General Synod, that he was "ashamed" of its history of racism.

"Mr Welby's words came as Synod members backed a motion to apologise for racism in the Church of England since the arrival of the Windrush generation.

"The body also voted to "stamp out conscious or unconscious" racism."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51469566

And at Sky UK: https://news.sky.com/story/church-of-england-still-deeply-institutionally-racist-archbishop-says-11931978

I wonder how they intend to do that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
On 2/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, Crazy Horse said:

I wonder how they intend to do that?

The classic method  would be consciousness raising until peole become conscious of inner racism   

This had to be done many decades ago with both child abuse and rape in marriage where the majority of peole saw saw nothing wrong

Currently bullying among young people , and misuse of power by men(predominantly)  to get sexual favours ,are going through the same exercise 

Many still see them as acceptable social norms . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
5 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The classic method  would be consciousness raising until peole become conscious of inner racism   

This had to be done many decades ago with both child abuse and rape in marriage where the majority of peole saw saw nothing wrong

Currently bullying among young people , and misuse of power by men(predominantly)  to get sexual favours ,are going through the same exercise 

Many still see them as acceptable social norms . 

That's fair enough.

Nothing wrong with a bit of the old consciousness raising, only it begs the question, how might they do that in regards to folks subconscious racism?

I thought it was a job for the "thought police", to tell us when, and why, we are being racist, and punish us accordingly. When our unconscious reactions to someone may have a myriad of reasons. It just sounded very 1984 to me! Perhaps the C of E have actually stated how they are going to do this? Perhaps I should take a look? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
On 2/15/2020 at 6:27 PM, Crazy Horse said:

That's fair enough.

Nothing wrong with a bit of the old consciousness raising, only it begs the question, how might they do that in regards to folks subconscious racism?

I thought it was a job for the "thought police", to tell us when, and why, we are being racist, and punish us accordingly. When our unconscious reactions to someone may have a myriad of reasons. It just sounded very 1984 to me! Perhaps the C of E have actually stated how they are going to do this? Perhaps I should take a look? :)

 

Sometimes it just needs information and understanding,

I remember back in the 70s when child abuse was just becoming an issue in the education dept. We had a lot of conferences just showing us the reality of abuse and the signs to look for in different types, from  sexual, to physical, to neglect.   All teachers then had a legal responsibility to report any suspected abuse, even if they had no concrete evidence for it.

  Like all concepts or ideas,  racism is a social construct, thus some people need educating about how that social construct exists now, and has changed from the past; eg. when they were children and learning values  ( i just watched  "The Green Book." a brilliant movie based on a true story, which shows entrenched racism in the south of america in the 60s  which i sincerely hope no longer exists in a systemic form   ie some people may still be racist, but can no longer openly act on those racist beliefs  and  pass laws which entrench that racism which support  their behaviors) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.