Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Vanna marie

paranormal apps?

Recommended Posts

Vanna marie

I will be honest and say it might just be ludacris but I've had a lot of coincidences...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
papageorge1
26 minutes ago, Vanna marie said:

I will be honest and say it might just be ludacris but I've had a lot of coincidences...

I have a ghost detecting app on my iPhone and it has never done anything interesting but I don't think I am particularly the psychic type.

I would love to hear your best coincidence story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks

Coincidences are extremely common occurrences, but they typically happen to a certain type of individual. The following article, Coincidences and the Meaning of Life, argues that coincidences do not hint at hidden truths, but, rather, reveal the human mind at work.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/02/the-true-meaning-of-coincidences/463164/

As for paranormal apps, no they do not work, which is why they appear to work (if that makes sense). Another article, The Broken Technology of Ghost Hunting, by the same publication you might find informative, suggests that the best tools for tracking down spirits are the ones fallible enough to find something.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/11/the-broken-technology-of-ghost-hunting/506627/

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vanna marie

thank you I'll read those articles! lol I have a lot of coincidence that happened to me..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
12 hours ago, Vanna marie said:

paranormal apps?

do you believe they work?

Ghosthunting apps can't possibly work, because they claim to provide features that aren't built into your phone/tablet, such as EMF detection, thermal imaging, etc.

No app can install sensors in your device.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman
1 hour ago, acute said:

Ghosthunting apps can't possibly work, because they claim to provide features that aren't built into your phone/tablet, such as EMF detection, thermal imaging, etc.

No app can install sensors in your device.

QFT. Anybody throwing money away on these apps is a sucker - tech doesn't work that way.

Even if ghosts were real and even if the tech existed to "detect" them - cell phones don't have anything pertaining to either.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
13 hours ago, Vanna marie said:

thank you I'll read those articles! lol I have a lot of coincidence that happened to me..

Noticing coincidences is how our minds are made to work. 

But take a phone. It is supposed to detect something. How is that possible? People sell all sorts of meters to detect things like spirits or ghosts. Why should they show up on any of this equipment? No logical reason is given. The only reason is to sell things to people and make a profit.

Some people would like to suggest that only minds can detect ghosts and that the ghosts are beyond the physical.  Okay. That just claims that our minds are the only tools that can detect ghosts. So how is that possible? Why is a ghost detector in our heads that we can't make from electronics?

You'd think that physicists would have already detected something that our brains can detect that our tools cannot. There are claims of energies and whatever that people can detect that our tools cannot. But in general people have learned to make tools that humans cannot detect. We can detect neutrinos with our tools but humans cannot detect them. We have built tools to see distant galaxies that humans cannot detect. Our tools have recorded the sounds of snails crawling that we cannot hear. We have tools that can sniff chemicals our senses cannot detect.  The list is endless from seeing with x-rays or sensing distant temperatures.

You might consider saving your time and money by not buying paranormal apps or devices. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vanna marie

I understand and thankfully I didn't spend a cent on the apps I have..lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 2/12/2020 at 6:00 PM, Vanna marie said:

I will be honest and say it might just be ludacris but I've had a lot of coincidences...

I have an app called ghost radar on my iPhone.  My nephew had it on his phone and I decided to try it.  It did say some things that were a little coincidental, but I know that the iPhone and all the other smart phones do record what you say and where you go.  So, there is that.  I emailed the company who created the app asking for the details on their algorithym but they did not answer me.  They have a website that explains somewhat how they interpret data and what data they use to feed the app.

I think we have all kinds of things going on around us that we don't notice, atmospheric, electrical etc.  Whether it is ghosts or other "paranormal" activity, I can't say.  I do find it interesting to ponder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 2/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, papageorge1 said:

I have a ghost detecting app on my iPhone and it has never done anything interesting but I don't think I am particularly the psychic type.

I would love to hear your best coincidence story!

What app is it?  They have to have some way of getting informtion to decipher as "ghosts" or it is just a random generator but either way you should be able to find out which.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robotic Jew

This topic makes me think of Ghostly Mozzarella sticks....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 2/13/2020 at 8:37 AM, stereologist said:

Noticing coincidences is how our minds are made to work. 

But take a phone. It is supposed to detect something. How is that possible? People sell all sorts of meters to detect things like spirits or ghosts. Why should they show up on any of this equipment? No logical reason is given. The only reason is to sell things to people and make a profit.

Some people would like to suggest that only minds can detect ghosts and that the ghosts are beyond the physical.  Okay. That just claims that our minds are the only tools that can detect ghosts. So how is that possible? Why is a ghost detector in our heads that we can't make from electronics?

You'd think that physicists would have already detected something that our brains can detect that our tools cannot. There are claims of energies and whatever that people can detect that our tools cannot. But in general people have learned to make tools that humans cannot detect. We can detect neutrinos with our tools but humans cannot detect them. We have built tools to see distant galaxies that humans cannot detect. Our tools have recorded the sounds of snails crawling that we cannot hear. We have tools that can sniff chemicals our senses cannot detect.  The list is endless from seeing with x-rays or sensing distant temperatures.

You might consider saving your time and money by not buying paranormal apps or devices. 

Your smart phone is more sophisticated than any one wants you to know.  You can get an app that tells you the temperature in the vicinity of your phone, it records everything you say, it has a satalite location software, etc.  As for the "ghost hunting" equipment, all any of it does is keep track of certain atmospheric and local environmental changes.  A phone has the ability to do that now days.  It is not that sophisticated, and questionable whether any of that has anything to do with ghosts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
papageorge1
53 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What app is it?  They have to have some way of getting informtion to decipher as "ghosts" or it is just a random generator but either way you should be able to find out which.

It's called Ghost Hunting Toolkit  by Phantom29.

But I haven't put much effort into it because I am already certain of the existence of spiritual planes of reality. One more weird capture wouldn't effect me or the world much. Presenting evidence debates get old fast. I'm better off training my mind to learn to live in harmony with reality.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
54 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Your smart phone is more sophisticated than any one wants you to know.  You can get an app that tells you the temperature in the vicinity of your phone, it records everything you say, it has a satalite location software, etc.  As for the "ghost hunting" equipment, all any of it does is keep track of certain atmospheric and local environmental changes.  A phone has the ability to do that now days.  It is not that sophisticated, and questionable whether any of that has anything to do with ghosts.

I am well aware of what the phone can do. The temperatures reported on my phone are the temperatures from the local national weather service reporting station. As I drive I see the temperature reported by the sensor on the car being different from the phone. My phone does not have a thermometer on it.

The problem for me is why would any of these detectors do any ghost detecting?  I see nothing more than a scam to separate people from their money. Selling ghost detectors might be entertainment for some but appears to me to be like the antics of a Bernie Madoff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist

A ghost app or whatever you want to bill one of these things as is the same as the Pokémon app.

Look at the phone and you see a pokemon to capture. Why is there a pokemon to be caught? Because that is what the app does. The ghost app is no different. It creates a fake world for the believers to imagine is real. To the gamer the pokemon is fun. To the ghost believer the app is some sort of contrived evidence of their imaginings.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, stereologist said:

I am well aware of what the phone can do. The temperatures reported on my phone are the temperatures from the local national weather service reporting station. As I drive I see the temperature reported by the sensor on the car being different from the phone. My phone does not have a thermometer on it.

The problem for me is why would any of these detectors do any ghost detecting?  I see nothing more than a scam to separate people from their money. Selling ghost detectors might be entertainment for some but appears to me to be like the antics of a Bernie Madoff.

Well, there is an app that will give you the temperature in the vicinity of the phone, uses the same type of software that the car uses, I have not found a free app but there are apps.  The phone does have the ability to tell the ambient temperature in it's vicinity.

And the ghost apps are usually free.  I don't know anyone who has paid for that.  And as far as I can tell, like I said before, the parameters that ghost hunters use, that they collect with different equipment do not prove  ghosts, they prove temperature, EM fields, positive or negative ions that sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, there is an app that will give you the temperature in the vicinity of the phone, uses the same type of software that the car uses, I have not found a free app but there are apps.  The phone does have the ability to tell the ambient temperature in it's vicinity.

And the ghost apps are usually free.  I don't know anyone who has paid for that.  And as far as I can tell, like I said before, the parameters that ghost hunters use, that they collect with different equipment do not prove  ghosts, they prove temperature, EM fields, positive or negative ions that sort of thing.

My car has a sensor. It gets the temperature without an external source. My phone gets the temperature from an external source. The source is the closest reporting station for the NWS. The temperature sensor in the phone is used to monitor the phone's components and not the ambient temperature. 

If you want to get the data yourself you can do it using an internet protocol. Directions are listed below. This is the sort of thing your phone performs to get the temperature.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105953

Quote

Weather data for your city can be obtained from http://openweathermap.org. They have an HTTP API that you can use to retrieve the current weather data, which includes the outside temperature. It's all documented on their web page. The API request can be made using e.g. Python or curl in bash scripts. Give it a try.

 

The phone cannot determine the temperature where the phone is located. It can't. It gets the temperature of the outside from the local reporting service. A phone can't detect EM fields other than ones it is able to receive. A phone can't detect positive or negative ions. 

A phone can tell you its location and orientation. A phone can tell you about signals it is receiving in the bands it is able to receive. A phone can use a camera. A phone can detect sound. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
9 minutes ago, stereologist said:

My car has a sensor. It gets the temperature without an external source. My phone gets the temperature from an external source. The source is the closest reporting station for the NWS. The temperature sensor in the phone is used to monitor the phone's components and not the ambient temperature. 

If you want to get the data yourself you can do it using an internet protocol. Directions are listed below. This is the sort of thing your phone performs to get the temperature.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105953

 

The phone cannot determine the temperature where the phone is located. It can't. It gets the temperature of the outside from the local reporting service. A phone can't detect EM fields other than ones it is able to receive. A phone can't detect positive or negative ions. 

A phone can tell you its location and orientation. A phone can tell you about signals it is receiving in the bands it is able to receive. A phone can use a camera. A phone can detect sound. 

 

Your phone has sensors, they just aren't advertised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Your phone has sensors, they just aren't advertised. 

The contents of the phone are well known. If you think you know a secret that the rest of the world does not know about then tell us.

Of course the phone has sensors. It also has a magnetic sensor to determine the direction of north. There are also accelerometers and gyroscopic sensors. 

Want to add anything to this list?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vanna marie

I know my phone doesn't have a magnetic sensor.I try to use an app and it told me I didn't have magnetic sensors on my phone ..my phone's older but I still deep down feel as if my app works..lol but everybody has views on things.. and that's perfectly fine..:su

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
On 2/14/2020 at 4:00 PM, Vanna marie said:

I know my phone doesn't have a magnetic sensor.I try to use an app and it told me I didn't have magnetic sensors on my phone ..my phone's older but I still deep down feel as if my app works..lol but everybody has views on things.. and that's perfectly fine..:su

What happens in these things is that we rely on confirmation bias to get into the mode of believing.

We try the app and it tells us that there is something there. It's a bright warm sunny day and we think that maybe we did something wrong. Then we pass an old church or an historic sign or whatever and we think we got a hit. Doesn't matter if we go by the same spot the next day and nothing happens. Maybe we drive along and we get a hit on the app. we look out and see nothing but department stores, parking lots, small businesses, and restaurants. We can  imagine that something happened there or forget about that incident. People tend to remember the hits and not the misses.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rollo

These Apps are just hog wash. Total waste of time and money, if you paid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.