Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Early humans interbred with ghost population

UM-Bot

Sometimes the headlines for these stories are so strange.

• Like 2

This brings a whole, new meaning to the phrase, "ghost busting".

• Haha 7

Oh no! Wait for the 'it was aliens/angels/fallen angels/bigfeets/poltergeists.....etc." crowd to get a hold of that headline.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Oh no! Wait for the 'it was aliens/angels/fallen angels/bigfeets/poltergeists.....etc." crowd to get a hold of that headline.

I like the fallen angels angle.

• Like 1

My money is on all three, the Neanderthals, Denisovans, and these Ghost people were driven to extinction for the same reason, and that would be retaliation for forced breeding with Homo Sapiens. 

I wonder if there has been any attempt to corelate the spread of alcohol use with the inclination to interbreed with sub-species.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mdbuilder said:

Seems to me this calls into question the long held contention that mankind originated in Africa.

Well if you ignore the fossil record, the genetic record and the first two paragraphs of the article that might be a reasonable conclusion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mdbuilder said:

Seems to me this calls into question the long held contention that mankind originated in Africa.

So what you're saying is that you didn't read the article 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It must have been an orgy...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I wonder if there has been any attempt to corelate the spread of alcohol use with the inclination to interbreed with sub-species.  

I'll ask the hillbillies around here but I doubt the sheep would sink that low,even on a Friday night.:lol:

So if there are mysterious gene flows both into and out of Africa, doesn't that mean the Out of Africa Theory is all wrong?  Why not Out of Europe or Out of the Near East?

Edited by dlh
lost last part of my text

Great, something else to blame China again... 

~

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dlh said:

So if there are mysterious gene flows both into and out of Africa, doesn't that mean the Out of Africa Theory is all wrong?  Why not Out of Europe or Out of the Near East?

No. It just means that after Fully Modern Humans left Africa, they came back in successive waves and interbreed with the populations that remained behind. Our origins are 100% African. 

11 hours ago, third_eye said:

Great, something else to blame China again... 

~

I mean, they've really been setting themselves up for failure the last couple years.

• Haha 1

Here is another article on the subject    ...and it has pictures!  

A new study published shows that human DNA may have more Neanderthal in it than was previously believed. It’s well-known that Neanderthals and modern humans, Homo sapiens, have links but new research suggests that they may be more comprehensive than scientists first thought, according to Smithsonian magazine.

Both species have a common ancestor who originated in Africa, but both early humans and Neanderthals split off and began to take their own evolutionary path.  Neanderthals were already well established in Asia and Europe when the first Homo sapiens came on the scene in Africa around 300,000 years ago.

Once Homo sapiens emerged, we more or less stayed in Africa for a long time – until around 60.000 years ago, although there were small migrations here and there before early modern humans really started to get on the move.  Scientists even think that some groups of early humans traveled back and forth between Africa and Eurasia several times, although the evidence to support that idea is relatively thin.

1026183596_neanderthaldna.jpg.cb76bcfdb0f184066f6bdbd1c243693f.jpg