Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

3D printing straight from sci-fi

Eldorado

"A new 3D printing technique allows for the creation of small, finely detailed objects in under 30 seconds from start to finish.

"EPFL’s Laboratory of Applied Photonics Devices has made the advance which is based on the principles of tomography (commonly used in medical imaging), and published the findings in the Nature Communications journal.

"A spin-off outfit, Readily3D, has already been formed to further develop and market the system."

Full article at Tech Radar: https://www.techradar.com/in/news/3d-printer-straight-from-sci-fi-new-tech-makes-it-possible

"Precion printing in seconds"; at YouTube:

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

aztek

yep, that is a pretty cool tech,   SLA printers are on the market now,  i got one few month ago ,elegoo brand, as a present to my niece,   it is amazing what she can do with that thing,  and graphic design software. , and she is only 13.    the resolution of that printer is so much better than FDM printer i have.  one downside to SLA tech is a mess you have to deal with, a sticky thick liquid, and UV cure.  have to wear gloves to work with that thing. and some liquids are pretty stinky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DingoLingo
On 2/14/2020 at 11:12 PM, aztek said:

yep, that is a pretty cool tech,   SLA printers are on the market now,  i got one few month ago ,elegoo brand, as a present to my niece,   it is amazing what she can do with that thing,  and graphic design software. , and she is only 13.    the resolution of that printer is so much better than FDM printer i have.  one downside to SLA tech is a mess you have to deal with, a sticky thick liquid, and UV cure.  have to wear gloves to work with that thing. and some liquids are pretty stinky

I have both at home.. love the SLA but the cleanup is a pain in the ass.. 

• Like 1

BorizBadinov
21 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

I have both at home.. love the SLA but the cleanup is a pain in the ass.. 

What slicer do you use for the sla? 

DingoLingo
5 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

What slicer do you use for the sla? 

mine is a wanhao so using the one that came with it.. going to tinker a bit with it and do a upgrade on it when I get a chance..  the wanhao software is a bit of a pain to use

• Like 1

BorizBadinov
8 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

mine is a wanhao so using the one that came with it.. going to tinker a bit with it and do a upgrade on it when I get a chance..  the wanhao software is a bit of a pain to use

Thanks!

I have been using cura for my FDM printer and it looks like SLA is supported too although I haven't looked at it closely. Cura has been good to me so far but it never hurts to see what else is out there. I don't think any of them are painless :lol:

Been wanting to try printing with resin for the resolution. Did a ton of research today and started working on the laser module design. Salvaged two micro steppers from old dvd roms for the galvanometer I'm creating. Just need a good mirror for it. I had some somewhere from an old copier but I can't find them so far.

Lot of homebrew designs out there, but most use projectors which I don't have on hand so I'm going laser. I have a spare 500mw 405nm laser diode I hope will be sufficient and a salvaged monoprice mini printer for the z axis.

Going to need to order a main board, not sure yet what I want for that other than 32 bit. Should be a fun project :tu: