Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
South Alabam

Programs and Utilities

South Alabam

I thought this might make a good topic.

I got tired of seeing my router blinking all the time, and my hard drive flash away and not really knowing why. I have Windows 10 and it is known to be privacy devoid. I have changed most settings to not send information back out to the web, yet I did leave a few settings open such as being able to access my mail from the desktop. 

Anyway I got searching and found a little program from Microsoft that lets you know where all TCP traffic is heading, what program initiated it, and by right clicking, even a whois on the owner it is heading to. Anyway it eased my mind a little on what is going on with my router and hard drive flashing.

It is called TCPView and is a Microsoft program.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview

Please try and post only freeware programs you use so you can vouch for them, and what they do. And try and only post one program per post, so it is exclusive. 

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 2

South Alabam

Here is another I have used well over a decade, and maybe closer to 15 years. It has never messed my registry up, and I use it in conjunction with CCleaner to keep my P.C running well.

It is called AML free registry cleaner and it cleans junk files also, as well as unneeded registry entries.

http://amltools.com/

• Like 1

South Alabam

Here is the best freeware junk file cleaner there is. 

It is called CCleaner, and it cleans a ton of junk files as well as registry entries off your computer. 

It also allows you to delete or disable the startup commands for programs in your startup menu. I use this all the time because some programs automatically start when my P.C starts, and I don't want them to. I start them as I need them, not when they want to start.

It has an uninstall feature for programs, that will also uninstall unneeded apps on Windows 10.

This program will start itself on Windows 10, unless you disable smart cleaning in options. Windows 7 didn't do that. But maybe you want it to clean your PC on startup. Anyway it has a lot of options and settings that need selected.

This program has also been used by me for well over a decade, and has never caused my P.C to falter or fail because I deleted a file or registry entry that it needed.  https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Edited by South Alabam