Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Programs and Utilities

Vorg

I thought this might make a good topic.

I got tired of seeing my router blinking all the time, and my hard drive flash away and not really knowing why. I have Windows 10 and it is known to be privacy devoid. I have changed most settings to not send information back out to the web, yet I did leave a few settings open such as being able to access my mail from the desktop. 

Anyway I got searching and found a little program from Microsoft that lets you know where all TCP traffic is heading, what program initiated it, and by right clicking, even a whois on the owner it is heading to. Anyway it eased my mind a little on what is going on with my router and hard drive flashing.

It is called TCPView and is a Microsoft program.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview

Please try and post only freeware programs you use so you can vouch for them, and what they do. And try and only post one program per post, so it is exclusive. 

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 4

Here is another I have used well over a decade, and maybe closer to 15 years. It has never messed my registry up, and I use it in conjunction with CCleaner to keep my P.C running well.

It is called AML free registry cleaner and it cleans junk files also, as well as unneeded registry entries.

http://amltools.com/

• Like 1

Here is the best freeware junk file cleaner there is. 

It is called CCleaner, and it cleans a ton of junk files as well as registry entries off your computer. 

It also allows you to delete or disable the startup commands for programs in your startup menu. I use this all the time because some programs automatically start when my P.C starts, and I don't want them to. I start them as I need them, not when they want to start.

It has an uninstall feature for programs, that will also uninstall unneeded apps on Windows 10.

This program will start itself on Windows 10, unless you disable smart cleaning in options. Windows 7 didn't do that. But maybe you want it to clean your PC on startup. Anyway it has a lot of options and settings that need selected.

This program has also been used by me for well over a decade, and has never caused my P.C to falter or fail because I deleted a file or registry entry that it needed.  https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Edited by South Alabam

• 7 months later...

I don't know if I'm allowed to mention free Android applications here. but I thought sharing information about VirtualXposed would be helpful. I recently found this app when I try to find an way to use adblocker reborn  Xposed module without root access. This app allows users to use some of root apps (Ex. GameGuardian) and Xposed modules without root access.Hope this information would be helpful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, SabrinaF said:

I don't know if I'm allowed to mention free Android applications here. but I thought sharing information about VirtualXposed would be helpful. I recently found this app when I try to find an way to use adblocker reborn  Xposed module without root access. This app allows users to use some of root apps (Ex. GameGuardian) and Xposed modules without root access.Hope this information would be helpful

It's ok. People connect with phones to this website also. Thanks for linking it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah great topic thanks for posting mmmmm what is it... ? oh S. Alabam ma'am.

Misc.:

Regarding Stardict, unix/Linux ware but then later Windows -- Dictionary, it did have over 76 dictionaries. 3.0.1 etc. versions not the same, plethora of data missing or not packaged with.
Latest Stardict.exe , then renamed or such goldendict doesn't seem to have
the extreme amount of data , rather a complementary 76+ English etc. etc., dictionary sets in it.

Size wise, the Program and dictionaries were a breeze to download. BUt now, a couple years later, new notebook/notepad,
I have tried many of the so called goldendict and or stardict but they're not the same and have disappeared. There's lots
of obsolete websites and even old threads at download tripe sites but, I can't seem to find a storage of the dictionaries .

Does anyone know of a depository of dictionaries for import into stardict ?
 I was hoping maybe there was a server somewhere with the nice selection of over
80 dictionaries for stardict. Just as a talking point,
 they were dictionaries in mostly English from
all over the world ... as an example only,
again, lets say that again, as an example only,
one that was handy would load near the end of a request
and it was simply mobysaurus with a plethora/TONS/MASS of related words.
( Please don't go into endless drivel on what a thesaurus is.)
That was just an example of the many, MANY! items available. It was extremely
powerful for papers.

RECAP: Does anyone know of a cache/storage of dictionaries for stardict to download?
 if over ftp the names might look like this: DictELMT <example of one>
or such, in maybe .gz .bz2 .xz .tar compressions with the following items,
elements.ifo
elements.oft
elements.clt
elements.idx
elements.dz

Actually prob didn't need to know what's inside them, as there would only be the dictionary names w/ .tar or .zip .gz i.e. EnglishModernLang.zip.tar  etc. on the server.

==================================================================
===================================================================
Misc. comment:
If no reply, not a problem, yes there's tons of *grrrr* online dictionary/encylo which I can't stand, and really, I like to work offline and more and more these days Wi-Fi are all password this that tripe.

Edited by Nosy.Matters
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, Nosy.Matters said:

RECAP: Does anyone know of a cache/storage of dictionaries for stardict to download?
 if over ftp the names might look like this: DictELMT <example of one>
or such, in maybe .gz .bz2 .xz .tar compressions with the following items,

Is this what you're looking for? Further down in the link it has dictionary files.

http://www.huzheng.org/stardict/

• Like 1

Oh , thank you for promptness and getting back to me.
Okay -- so
Yes, I had stopped by there and checked everyone of their links out, some
were bad and also if a type of the program found it didn't have
a boatload MASSIVE dictionaries packed in with it.

versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net  <<<< found at

it was simply 3.0.1.exe

…. well actually I think it was::::

star-dict3.0.1.exe

Most all other on the net (other versions bad / EMPTY ) , bad links or not packed full of massive dictionaries and thesauruses

Now I can't recall where, okay … so I looked in HISTORY of these browsers, so the above
 is my best guess . . .  versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net
and I believe this rare place this program had almost if not all of the dictionaries
packaged inside.

Has a plethora of THesauruses combined with many dictionaries and Mobythesaurus etc. etc. etc.

I forget the size but it was larger than what I previously found(((( crappy junk versions 3.0.1.2   )empty less stuff)))on the net. Also,
((( the best part )
no frustrating .gz then .tar to get through.
  I'm pretty sure it had just about all of the dictionaries from all over the world in
various languages but they all did their best to put most it in English.

RECAP: summation the above link had almost all the different dictionaries
 ALL IN ... well mostly .. in English

It installed in the 32 bit section fine and runs fine in these Win10 notebooks. ( installed in 32bit section)
THE END, happy camper *8 )
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=

Edited by Nosy.Matters
typed in found at .... green colour plus BOLD
  • Like 1

Forgot, a last thought, its a flawless O F F L I N E  running program, no internet needed, so rare these days, jam packed with 80+ or 60 or around 40 thesauruses and dictionaries of the world ….. almost everything on the net like every last version is the give me money or the complete junk trickery and empty with no mass of thesaurus, with no massive collection of many dictionaries ,,,, so if you see anything with extra on the end of version , lets say that again ,,, the version type , they're junk…
CRAP >> 3.0.1.2.1
or 3.0.1.2.b
or 3.0.1.c
or 3.0.2 … or 3.0.4 etc. 4.0 etc. those and more are the rip-off

the nasty , ugly empty ones, with only one dictionary and it doesn't work right, just tripe.

Again, recap: mine was the 3.0.1.exe version 15mb or bigger in zip form/download size &&& most important point I probably forgot to say::::::: it runs completely OFFLINE for your papers etc.

=-=-=-=-=-=-===---==- eEDIT ! sorry for messing up your thread, I can't edit, prob only application/ware name and location needed.
AGAIN, I kind of typed too much, maybe a mod can can delete except for url  and software correct name. Okay that's it !

Edited by Nosy.Matters
eEDIT ! sorry for messing up your thread Miss Alabam Ma'am.