Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Jujo-jo

Is there an electrician in the house?

29 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Jujo-jo
11 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Can you rule out a short circuit from water damage?

Yes, there is no water damage on the ceiling and the plug comes out of the fuse box down there, then runs up along the ceiling then comes down to the middle of the wall behind the washer, it is also all in metal or aluminum conduit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ChrLzs

Not a sparky, but..  cheap bulbs may blacken just from normal use - is it only the blown ones that have the soot?  If so, then yes, probably a power surge / lightning strike.  Modern homes have good systems to prevent this, but no human endeavour is perfect!

As for the half-working business, those Xmassy lamp things often have weird combinations of parallel and series wiring combined, partly to offer some form of redundancy.  A short or break somewhere along the line can have odd effects.  But either way, they look cheap and nasty and I would not be using them again in any situation where they were not supervised ..and you should have a fire extinguisher handy... :D  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
On 2/14/2020 at 10:51 PM, Jujo-jo said:

Now thinking about this, why didn't all the 100 light blow during the power surge?

Because of different resistance/contact resistance values of the units. And because its China-crap.

Edited by toast
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jujo-jo
22 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Not a sparky, but..  cheap bulbs may blacken just from normal use - is it only the blown ones that have the soot?  If so, then yes, probably a power surge / lightning strike.  Modern homes have good systems to prevent this, but no human endeavour is perfect!

As for the half-working business, those Xmassy lamp things often have weird combinations of parallel and series wiring combined, partly to offer some form of redundancy.  A short or break somewhere along the line can have odd effects.  But either way, they look cheap and nasty and I would not be using them again in any situation where they were not supervised ..and you should have a fire extinguisher handy... :D  

Thanks, & Yes, oh yes on the fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide testers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.