Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre eye-less creature washes up on beach

Still Waters

A strange creature with a dolphin head, sharp teeth and a long snake tail ran aground on a beach.Shocked locals found the mysterious animal on Destiladeras Beach on the Pacific coast of Mexico, but no one was able to identify it.

According to local reports, the animal has no eyes, prompting some to predict that it may well come from the depths of the Pacific Ocean when no light comes in and eyes are not needed.

If so, they have no idea how it would have ended up on the beach from the depths.

https://www.fr24news.com/A/2020/02/a-bizarre-eyeless-creature-with-a-dolphin-head-washes-on-the-beach-in-mexico.html

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/strange-eye-less-creature-remains-discovered-on-beach-in-mexico/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Photoshop......

At least give it some working features. It can't swim built like that. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

prompting some to predict that it may well come from the depths of the Pacific Ocean when no light comes in and eyes are not needed.

It has features like a sea mammal.  :whistle:

:lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mattacaster said:

They only took one(1) picture of this thing? Suspicious. It must be a prop from Sharknado.

Not only 1 photo but nothing to give it scale. Could 20 feet long or 3 inches long. Definitely suspicious. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

So a dolphin and an eel had a baby...

Need to take a vote on what to call it. :unsure2:

1)  A Eelphin.

2) A Dolpeel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Its looks like a dolphin. Either it has a deformity, or someone used photo shopped and removed both the eyes and fins. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kind of looks like a thalidomide dolphin. Born in the early sixties my friend in school was like that she was born with no arms yet she had hands at the end of her shoulders but man I tell you she had the best handwriting of anybody in our whole class. Extremely clever as well.

• Like 1

Blind cave eel ? 

The blind cave eel, Ophisternon candidum, is one of Australia’s least-known fishes and is the longest cave fish in the world, growing up to 40cm long.

It is one of only three Australian vertebrates known to be entirely restricted to underground waters such as caves and wells. 

A slender fish and apparently adapted to a life in darkness, it has no eyes, no scales, no fins and unpigmented white or pink skin.

The blind cave eel was first discovered nearly 60 years ago and has rarely been seen since. 

Link to source and full article http://museum.wa.gov.au/about/latest-news/museum-researchers-identify-new-populations-one-wa-s-rarest-and-most-bizarre-anima                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Edited by thedutchiedutch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say it's more than likely beached Dolphin remains! Eels teeth definitely do not look like that, but Dolphins do!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drakonwick said:

I would say it's more than likely beached Dolphin remains! Eels teeth definitely do not look like that, but Dolphins do!

Google dolphin teeth, then eel teeth. It has eel teeth. 

Dolphin teeth are completely different and much more regular. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, openozy said:

Looks like a bloated moray eel.

You hit the nail on the head. Pretty much every scientist who's looked at this on Twitter agrees it's a decayed moray eel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, SD455GTO said:

Kind of looks like a thalidomide dolphin. Born in the early sixties my friend in school was like that she was born with no arms yet she had hands at the end of her shoulders but man I tell you she had the best handwriting of anybody in our whole class. Extremely clever as well.

I remember kids affected by that drug when I was young.They tried to prescribe it to my mum for morning sickness,luckily she woudn't even take a Panadol when pregnant.One reason I distrust the medical profession.Amazing how humans adapt to disabilities.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Google dolphin teeth, then eel teeth. It has eel teeth. 

Dolphin teeth are completely different and much more regular. 

This is very similar, so I'm going to have to agree!

http://bernews.com/2013/08/5-foot-long-dead-eel-washes-up-on-beach/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I'm going to agree with those saying eel. It certainly looks like a dolphin's head, at first glance, but looking at it again, it's easy to see it's really an eel.

Maybe it's just a deformed dolphin

On 2/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, Piney said:

Photoshop......

At least give it some working features. It can't swim built like that. :lol:

Sorry, but it doesn't look like it was made in photoshop, as in not even the slightest bit. It looks more like a washed up moray eel.

• Like 1

From a pic in the first link, I've put an arrow pointing to where the moray eel's eye would be:
moray_eel.jpg.5b3fcea335a4eb171259b0459ff4240c.jpg
It looks like the sockets are shrunken and at an angle where they are not easily seen - the skin and eye socket has probably shrunk back as it has decayed.

Looks exactly like a moray to me.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1