Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany/US spy scandal hurts Switzerland

Eldorado

"It's hard to exaggerate just how much the Crypto AG scandal has shaken Switzerland.

"For decades, US and German intelligence used this Swiss company's encoding devices to spy on other countries, and the revelations this week have provoked outrage.

"From the Cold War into the 2000s, Crypto AG sold the devices to more than 120 governments worldwide.

"The machines were encrypted but it emerged this week that the CIA and Germany's BND had rigged the devices so they could crack the codes and intercept thousands of messages."

Full story at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51487856

"A new report from The Washington Post and Germany’s ZDF claims that Crypto AG, founded during the Second World War, struck a deal with the CIA in the 50s and then passed fully into the hands of US and German intelligence two decades later, before being wound up in 2018.

"Internal reports about the operation, codenamed “Thesaurus” and then renamed “Rubicon” in the 80s, reportedly claim it was “the intelligence coup of the century.”"

Full monty from Feb 12th at Info Security: https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/crypto-ag-unmasked-cia-spied/

• Like 4

So the CIA, which was once in bed with ex-nazi Reinhard Gehlen and his Gehlen Organization spy network, later arranged a deal that benefited both the US and West German intelligence agencies. Fascinating.

I see in that article that the security of TOR and other systems are now suspect, which I had suspected for a long time. I have long thought that TOR and VPNs were more just wishful thinking in regards to the governments intelligence services and their abilities.

• Like 1

Sooooo.... why did the owners - the CIA and the German BND  - dissolve the company in 2018 ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Sooooo.... why did the owners - the CIA and the German BND  - dissolve the company in 2018 ? 

I suspect they realised that the jig was up, I mean after the release of this information that company is ruined.

Peace

• Like 1

Well, they must have been using crystal balls. They sold at least a year before the jig WAS up ? 

• Like 2

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Well, they must have been using crystal balls. They sold at least a year before the jig WAS up ? 

Or the have better systems now and the company was no longer relevant and they disbanded it and took their money with them. The reason this leaked now may be only be because they had already disbanded the company.

• Like 1

Probably because they no longer had representatives selling how secure the system is.

From the second article

When countries suspected something may be up, the US/Germany sent representatives like respected academic Kjell-Ove Widman to reassure governments that their products were the most secure in the world.

Edited by WanderingFool0
addition
  • Like 1