Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

SETI to hunt for alien 'technosignatures'

freetoroam

Hope they find something, I do not believe we are alone.

Even if we never get to come face to face or face to plant with what may be out there, it would still be nice to know.

Who knows what the future holds, finding any form of life on another planet may give us some indication to either our planets fate or an indication to our planets past? 

One thing this does kind of prove, if they have to search so far away,  there are no aliens visiting us. 

• Like 5

L.A.T.1961

Similar story here - 

"Dr Anthony Beasley told the BBC that there should be greater government support for a field that has been shunned by government research funders for decades.

His backing for the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence (Seti) marks a sea change in attitudes to a field regarded until recently as fringe science.

Dr Beasley made his comments at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Seattle."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51223704

• Like 3

Seti42

Rendezvous With Rama cover art. Nice.
I still don't think we'll find anything though. We've only been looking for (and sending out) signals for less than a century...Maybe in another 1000 years we'll know about intelligent life. If we're still here. The galaxy is really, really big. So is the universe. And so is time. All of that lining up in our measly little lifetimes would be like winning the lotto 20 times in a row while being struck by lightening and running into all of our past dates/girlfriends/boyfriends in a coffee shop all at the same time.
I do think there's a chance in the next few decades of finding evidence of simple life elsewhere in our solar system, though. And there's a really, REALLY small chance advanced life has found us, but just chooses not to reveal itself yet. Aside from myths of gods and aliens, of course.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1

stevewinn

This picture sums it up for me. 

EXTENT OF HUMAN RADIO BROADCASTS

Humans have been broadcasting radio waves into deep space for about a hundred years now, since the days of Marconi. That, of course, means there is an ever-expanding bubble announcing Humanity's presence to anyone listening in the Milky Way. This bubble is astronomically large (literally), and currently spans approximately 200 light years. But how big is this, really, compared to the size of the Galaxy in which we live (which is, itself, just one of countless billions of galaxies in the observable universe)? To answer that question, Adam Grossman put together this diagram. It's not the black square; it's the little blue dot at the center of that zoomed-in square.

20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840.jpg

https://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-images/universe/extent-of-human-radio-broadcasts.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

toast
1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Humans have been broadcasting radio waves into deep space for about a hundred years now, since the days of Marconi. That, of course, means there is an ever-expanding bubble announcing Humanity's presence to anyone listening in the Milky Way. This bubble is astronomically large (literally), and currently spans approximately 200 light years.

True but SETI means: search. Therefore, the 200LY value isnt of relevance to the mission.

• Like 1

MissJatti

Nobody listen to techno... so let's go.........

Dejarma

SETI is a complete waste of time effort & money imo.

So let's say SETI finds some kinda signal that is deemed un-natural by the scientific community= then what?

toast
8 hours ago, Dejarma said:

SETI is a complete waste of time effort & money imo.

You are free to have your own opinion, of course.

So let's say SETI finds some kinda signal that is deemed un-natural by the scientific community= then what?

As you are not interested in the research why do you waste your time and ask anyway? And as you are not a member of the group, dont expect an answer, at least not from my person because it would be a waste of my time.

• Thanks 1

Tom1200
On 2/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, UM-Bot said:

SETI is ramping up its search for intelligent alien life by sniffing out indicators of extraterrestrial technology.

So... what exactly have they been looking for up til now?  Alien soap operas?  The daily shipping forecast for Wolf 1061c?  'Thought for the day' from TRAPPIST-1d?

I thought this was the whole point of SETI - "sniffing out indicators of extraterrestrial technology" by analysing radio waves.  Looking for unexpected patterns in the random flux that might indicate an artificial source?

Or have people been hoping an alien civilisation will beam us coded instructions for time travel, a cure for (human) cancers, teleportation and the meaning of life?

• Like 1

Dejarma
8 hours ago, toast said:

You are free to have your own opinion, of course.

As you are not interested in the research why do you waste your time and ask anyway? And as you are not a member of the group, dont expect an answer, at least not from my person because it would be a waste of my time.

you didn't answer the question- you don't have to of course;)

Hazzard

I would love it if SETI could detect technosignatures and pinpoint the origin, lets say a starsystem a couple of hundred lightyears away.

Then what?... Then, not so much i guess.

But to know there are others out there would be awesome.  

• Like 1