Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No 10 could scrap BBC licence fee

itsnotoutthere

Claims were made on Sunday that No 10may be preparing a new onslaught on the BBC with a threat to scrap the television licence fee and turn it into a subscription service.

The Sunday Times quoted a senior source as saying that the broadcaster could be forced to sell off most of its radio stations in a “massive pruning back” of its activities.

The source told the paper that Boris Johnson was “really strident” on the need for serious reform. They said there would be a consultation on replacing the licence fee with a subscription model, adding: “We will whack it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/16/no-10-launches-attack-on-bbc-as-licence-fee-comes-under-threat

About time.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Rod Liddle sums it up succinctly.

"Under Lord Hall’s administration, a moronic wokeness began to infest each and every part of the BBC’s output. For sure, the news and current affairs programmes were hideously biased on the issues of the European Union, immigration, Israel, Islam and identity politics, even more so than they had been before. And one became used to presenters sneering and snarling at anyone who dared to offer a different view to their own. But it was as nothing compared with the rest of the programming.

The rapidly dwindling audience for the latest, execrable Doctor Who series is the obvious case in point, a once glorious piece of fun for kids which is now a propaganda sheet for agitprop middle-class London liberals (and, for kids, virtually unwatchable
… Every drama had a message shoehorned into it.

There was no respite on comedy panel shows, either, where participants thought it enough to say ‘Trump’ or ‘Boris’ to gain a laugh. Radio 4 meanwhile transformed itself into an endless fugue of misery and victimhood: listen to it for more than an hour and you begin to reach for a razor blade. No wonder the audience share plummeted.
The great mass of people simply do not agree with the BBC’s vision of the world..
Then BBC appoints diversity czar Sarpong a remainer
part of the CONFORMITY of thought brigade.

If it were forced to live in the commercial world, the BBC might suddenly begin to comprehend the need to understand its audience a little better and to champion meaningful diversity — not of colour of skin or sexual orientation or gender, but of political and cultural views."

Lord Hall was a disaster for the country, but also for the BBC who, for the first time, now thanks to Hall's toadying to the PC Liberal-Left find themselves facing a real existential threat.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/01/a-last-chance-to-save-the-bbc/

Edited by Saru
Always include a source link when quoting from offsite sources please.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah.. but it's worth noting that Rod Liddle is a right-wing, Remain-supporting knob ? 

• Haha 3

Boris's Revenge continues *insert gloating emotimoji* 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Yeah.. but it's worth noting that Rod Liddle is a right-wing, Remain-supporting knob ? 

Think you'll find he's very pro-leave.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Betrayal-Rod-Liddle/dp/1472132386

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

a right-wing, remain supporter? I thought Remain supporters were uniformly commies. Anyway, he's criticizing, not defending the BBC here. I thought you'd be in agreement with that?

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome

52 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Claims were made on Sunday that No 10may be preparing a new onslaught on the BBC with a threat to scrap the television licence fee and turn it into a subscription service.

Actually I'd very much disagree with that. I never sign up to anything I have to subscribe to. And how would that work with radio? Can you have subscription-only radio? It would have to be digital and only available online. Again I think this is clearly the politically motivated lust for vengeance that already seems to be a prominent and highly unattractive of facet of the new age of Boris.

Get rid of it. We seen the BBCs true colours during brexit. It must now pay the price for its misjudgement. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Get rid of it. We seen the BBCs true colours during brexit. It must now pay the price for its misjudgement. 

Baby and Bathwaters ? 

42 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Baby and Bathwaters ? 

Baby, bath water mother the lot. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Baby and Bathwaters ? 

The BBC sounds like CNN... the baby drowned IN the bathwater long ago... toss 'em!

• Like 2

BBC Licence fee history.

1923 - 10 shillings (£18.50 today)

1946 - £2 (£83.57 today)

1990 - £71

2000 - £104

2004 - £121

2010 - £145.50

2019 - £154.50

2020 - £157.50

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

BBC Licence fee history.

1923 - 10 shillings (£18.50 today)

1946 - £2 (£83.57 today)

1990 - £71

2000 - £104

2004 - £121

2010 - £145.50

2019 - £154.50

2020 - £157.50

2021 - £0.00

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The final song you will hear on the BBC will be....

'Ooooooooooooouuuuu' 

testc.png

This guy really loves that song.  What they say in this clip really sums up the BBC.

Edited by Aaron2016

Why should i pay for a tv station that openly hates me, that doesn't represent me or my view, not to mention it's institutionally racist to white middle aged men.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

Why should i pay for a tv station that openly hates me, that doesn't represent me or my view, not to mention it's institutionally racist to white middle aged men.

BBC radio is just as bad.  I tuned in last night.  Apparently white men are inherently racist and we don't even know it because it stays hidden in our subconscious.

BBC Radio service :hmm:

rad4.png

So don't. 

11 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

BBC radio is just as bad.  I tuned in last night.  Apparently white men are inherently racist and we don't even know it because it stays hidden in our subconscious.

BBC Radio service :hmm:

rad4.png

I sent an email to radio 4, i know it seemed radical and thinking out of the box but i suggested they made a drama set in Birmingham instead of Bangladesh, Manchester instead of Mumbai, liverpool instead Lucknow, i was telling a friend i'd sent the email but hadn't received a reply, he said well you won't will you Africans, Asians and Afro Caribbeans aren't going to write a play set in the UK are they, i though yes you're right. 

I sent an email to radio 4, i know it seemed radical and thinking out of the box but i suggested they made a drama set in Birmingham instead of Bangladesh, Manchester instead of Mumbai, liverpool instead Lucknow, i was telling a friend i'd sent the email but hadn't received a reply, he said well you won't will you Africans, Asians and Afro Caribbeans aren't going to write a play set in the UK are they, i though yes you're right. 

Yeah, the BBC has never written a radio programme set in the UK! 

Here are a few I've enjoyed that spring to mind. And I only really listen to the comedies. 

Cabin Pressure 

Yes Minister

Bleak Expectations

The Castle

The Masterson Inheritance (mostly) 

And here are the ones I know not set in the UK:

Revolting People - 18c America 

Just what planet are you on, hetrodoxly? 

47 minutes ago, Setton said:

Yeah, the BBC has never written a radio programme set in the UK! 

Here are a few I've enjoyed that spring to mind. And I only really listen to the comedies. 

Cabin Pressure 

Yes Minister

Bleak Expectations

The Castle

The Masterson Inheritance (mostly) 

And here are the ones I know not set in the UK:

Revolting People - 18c America 

Just what planet are you on, hetrodoxly? 

Which one of these is about a British city?

• Haha 1