Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bootes void thoughts

Damien99

18 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

All the articles about vacuum decay and how it can happen at any time started again in 2018,  I posted papers in my other post that something is up

It could kick in at any time, this is why you shouldn't pay the electricity bill till the very last moment before the deadline.

51 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

All the articles about vacuum decay and how it can happen at any time started again in 2018,  I posted papers in my other post that something is up

So you are still claiming that you are backed by something but don't know what it is.

You still don't grasp how dumb that sounds.

Well I've been doing a bit of research (you should try it some time, it greatly reduces the amount of dumb statements that you make).

In 2018 an article was published in a theoretical physics journal that favoured a metastable universe over a stable one. It predicted that the universe would exist for a finite amount of time. The popular press jumped all over it and spouted the kind of doomsday drivel you are spouting. 

Here is the really, REALLY important part of that article:

With these problems solved, we produce the first complete calculation of the lifetime of our Universe: 10139years. With 95% confidence, we expect our Universe to last more than 1058 years. 

Source: https://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.97.056006

Even taking the lower number, 1058 years, that is more than 720,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times longer than the universe has existed. It's trillions and trillions of years after the last sun like star will have died. The universe will be cold and unable to support life. All that will be left will be black holes and dying embers from the last stars. There will be no living thing left to worry about instability in the Higgs field. 

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

So you are still claiming that you are backed by something but don't know what it is.

You still don't grasp how dumb that sounds.

Well I've been doing a bit of research (you should try it some time, it greatly reduces the amount of dumb statements that you make).

In 2018 an article was published in a theoretical physics journal that favoured a metastable universe over a stable one. It predicted that the universe would exist for a finite amount of time. The popular press jumped all over it and spouted the kind of doomsday drivel you are spouting. 

Here is the really, REALLY important part of that article:

Source: https://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.97.056006

Even taking the lower number, 1058 years, that is more than 720,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times longer than the universe has existed. It's trillions and trillions of years after the last sun like star will have died. The universe will be cold and unable to support life. All that will be left will be black holes and dying embers from the last stars. There will be no living thing left to worry about instability in the Higgs field. 

Thank you I will read that now, do you remember which page your comment was 

Edited by Damien99

I read most of the article and it did not see it have anything to do with vacuum decay? It spoke about tunneling 

Have you see this one 

PhysRevLett.123.031601

Edited by Damien99

3 hours ago, Damien99 said:

I read most of the article and it did not see it have anything to do with vacuum decay? It spoke about tunneling

Which only highlights the fact that you don't actually understand what vacuum decay is. You latch on to key words with no comprehension of what they mean, Because you are totally clueless about the subject you invent your own meanings and definitions. You then leap to laughably incorrect conclusions based on your own inventions.

The entire article is about the potential instability of the Higgs field, which is what, potential would lead to vacuum decay... if you knew what you were talking about you would know that.

3 hours ago, Damien99 said:

Have you see this one 

PhysRevLett.123.031601

I have now. I'll be honest I don't understand large parts of it, but I'm guessing that I understood considerably more of it than you did. I understand enough to know that it is about small scale experiment on bubbles. I understand enough to know that nowhere does it provide any evidence that this is the fate of the universe. In other words I understand enough of it to know that it, in no way, supports your conclusions.

The article I provided gave a time frame for when the universe might end if it collapsed as a result of false vacuum. That figure totally undermines your conclusions. I notice that you have ignored it.

All the evidence provided shows you are wrong. You are basing your entire argument on your own ignorance of the subject. You ask questions, but ignore the answers. You ask opinions but ignore them because you believe you already know the answers. You are totally unable to answer the, perfectly reasonable, questions others ask you, or to provide a single piece of evidence to back you up,

Given this a reasonable person would admit that they have more to learn and that their conclusions are probably in error. I'm guessing that you won't be doing that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Which only highlights the fact that you don't actually understand what vacuum decay is. You latch on to key words with no comprehension of what they mean, Because you are totally clueless about the subject you invent your own meanings and definitions. You then leap to laughably incorrect conclusions based on your own inventions.

The entire article is about the potential instability of the Higgs field, which is what, potential would lead to vacuum decay... if you knew what you were talking about you would know that.

I have now. I'll be honest I don't understand large parts of it, but I'm guessing that I understood considerably more of it than you did. I understand enough to know that it is about small scale experiment on bubbles. I understand enough to know that nowhere does it provide any evidence that this is the fate of the universe. In other words I understand enough of it to know that it, in no way, supports your conclusions.

The article I provided gave a time frame for when the universe might end if it collapsed as a result of false vacuum. That figure totally undermines your conclusions. I notice that you have ignored it.

All the evidence provided shows you are wrong. You are basing your entire argument on your own ignorance of the subject. You ask questions, but ignore the answers. You ask opinions but ignore them because you believe you already know the answers. You are totally unable to answer the, perfectly reasonable, questions others ask you, or to provide a single piece of evidence to back you up,

Given this a reasonable person would admit that they have more to learn and that their conclusions are probably in error. I'm guessing that you won't be doing that.

But the paper does specify it can happen anytime now

49 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

But the paper does specify it can happen anytime now

Where?

Do you actually know what metastable means? You seem to be confusing it with unstable.