Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

USAF now accepts turbans, beards & hijabs

Eldorado

9 hours ago, Setton said:

Yeah, I'm sure the civilians will be more concerned with the soldier's religious beliefs than the massive gun he's pointing at them... 

They have in the past. You underestimate the anger/hate various religions/nations have for other ethnic/religions. IMHO. 

Heck, we have people here in the USA that believe you cant trust a Jewish lawyer, or trust a Muslim judge. How much more ignorant are people in the rural 3rd world.

56 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

How much more ignorant are people in the rural 3rd world.

Based on this thread and other recent ones, not so different as I'd have hoped. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, DieChecker said:

That's great! But, if you desire that, simply stay out of the military. Simple answer to a simple problem. Dont wish to conform, dont join.

I have no issues with them wearing whatever they wish off duty. But the military isnt a democracy, it is a totalitarian dictatorship. People, especially enlisted, dont get to do as they please.

But, the millitary is approving a variaty of changes. So, it is not the military that stands in the way. Unlike the ones who cry foul, the military knows exactley what needs to be done. Or, do you too know better than the Generals?

• Like 1

In Canada they have problems recruiting and retaining soldiers, so they are making accommodations so they can keep more of them in the long term. It look a lot like the same thing. The only thing important is the uniformity of equipment, it's a must in a war zone but at home it doesn't matter much... 

I don't see a Sikh on the frontline without a frag helmet.. if you let that happen, you will see a jump of wounded soldier in some ethnic groups and people will cry that they are put in more danger than the others...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odas said:

But, the millitary is approving a variaty of changes. So, it is not the military that stands in the way. Unlike the ones who cry foul, the military knows exactley what needs to be done. Or, do you too know better than the Generals?

Hey if the military wants to change to rules fine. I'll back them up, even if I feel they are caving like a bunch of wimps in doing so.

I'm just hoping this pandering doesnt get out of control. 

On 2/18/2020 at 7:36 PM, DieChecker said:

Oh, I didnt know a black person could hide their skin color, please excuse me.

I dont want people to all be white, but if someone wants to participate in an exclusive group, they have to change themselves to fit.

All us soldiers have to be clean shaven, with short hair. Not overweight. Their boots and uniform have to meet specific standards. If not, they get in trouble.

I'm all for religious tolerance, but when it provides special things to individuals, it is being abused.

Should soldiers be allowed to wear whatever uniform they wish? Should the allow soldiers with long beards? Should a soldier be able to wear a rainbow umbrella hat to formation?

Extreme examples, but they illustrate the point.

"In addition to religious apparel, members also can request permission to have unshorn beards and unshorn hair. If the length of the beard exceeds 2 inches, it must be “rolled an or tied” to meet the new standards."

"The beard regulation applies to all religions. According to the Air Force Times, at least two Norse Heathen airmen wear approved beards."

- From the links

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

"In addition to religious apparel, members also can request permission to have unshorn beards and unshorn hair. If the length of the beard exceeds 2 inches, it must be “rolled an or tied” to meet the new standards."

"The beard regulation applies to all religions. According to the Air Force Times, at least two Norse Heathen airmen wear approved beards."

- From the links

Man, it's going to be a different army going forward from when I was in 20 years ago. 

At least the changes apply to everyone.

16 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Man, it's going to be a different army going forward from when I was in 20 years ago. 

As it should be. If conditions change and you don't evolve, you die. Simple as that. 

20 hours ago, DieChecker said:

At least the changes apply to everyone.

I served in the Yugoslavian Navy back in 1985-1987. Good times, good times.

• Like 2