Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Night-Side of Nature - 1850

macqdor

The Night-Side of Nature, by Catherine Crowe

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/54532/54532-h/54532-h.htm

The term “Night-Side of Nature” I borrow from the Germans, who derive it from the astronomers, the latter denominating that side of a planet which is turned from the sun, its night-side. We are in this condition for a certain number of hours out of every twenty-four; and as, during this interval, external objects loom upon us but strangely and imperfectly, the Germans draw a parallel between these vague and misty perceptions, and the similar obscure and uncertain glimpses we get of that veiled department of nature, of which, while comprising as it does, the solution of questions concerning us more nearly than any other, we are yet in a state of entire and wilful ignorance. For science, at least science in this country, has put it aside as beneath her notice, because new facts that do not fit into old theories are troublesome, and not to be countenanced

With regard to the so-called hauntings, referred to in the preceding chapter, there seems reason to believe that the invisible guest was formerly a dweller upon earth, in the flesh, who is prevented by some circumstance which we are not qualified to explain, from pursuing the destiny of the human race, by entering freely into the next state prepared for him. He is like an unfortunate caterpillar that ‘can not entirely free itself from the integuments of its reptile life which chain it to the earth, while its fluttering wings vainly seek to bear it into the region to which it now belongs.’ But there is another kind of haunting, which is still more mysterious and strange, though by no means infrequent, and which, from the odd, sportive, mischievous nature of the disturbances created, one can scarcely reconcile to our notions of what we understand by the term ghost; for in those cases where the unseen visitant appears to be the spirit of a person deceased, we see evidences of grief, remorse, and dissatisfaction, together with, in many instances, a disposition to repeat the acts of life—or at least to simulate a repetition of them: but there is nothing sportive or mischievous, nor, except where an injunction is disobeyed or a request refused, are there generally any evidences of anger or malignity. But in the other cases alluded to, the annoyances appear rather like the tricks of a mischievous imp. I refer to what the Germans call the poltergeist, or racketing spectre, for the phenomenon is known in all countries, and has been known in all ages.

In-depth e-book over a wide range of paranormal topics one major interests to me:  POLTERGEIST 

• Like 2

If I could only induce a few capable persons, instead of laughing at these things, to look at them, my object would be attained, and I should consider my time well spent - CATHERINE CROWE

3 hours ago, macqdor said:

In-depth e-book over a wide range of paranormal topics one major interests to me:  POLTERGEIST 

I would be interested to hear a definition of 'poltergeist' to differentiate it from other types of paranormal phenomena.

• Like 1

I would be interested to hear a definition of 'poltergeist' to differentiate it from other types of paranormal phenomena.

@papageorge1

did you click......the link and read the Chapter titled Poltergeist.

3 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@papageorge1

did you click......the link and read the Chapter titled Poltergeist.

No I hadn't but now I did. It looks like plenty of stories but I didn't see a definition of the term. How does a poltergeist differ from a haunting?

• Like 1

Hauntings deal with a location.  Poltergeist deal with people.  A haunted house if haunted will haunt anyone who lives the house e.g. residual haunting. 

A house infested with Poltergeist-the people through some reason or another have conjectured up activity.  They move - the Poltergeist follows them.

Its rare u hear a house " geist" infested and two families  end up being haunted.

Two families who lived there different times.

Most haunted house are residual

All Poltergeist hauntings are labeled intelligent haunting.  The spirit interacts with the environment and persons

Do you think there is a difference in the entities involved in poltergeists versus hauntings. 

who/what/why do you think was the person targeted in the Bothel poltergeist case?

Thats a good question.

This might sound weird but here goes.

There are documented cases of poltergeist infesting an already haunted home.  The poltergeist IMO are the entities.  Poltergeist are energy/fear opportunists therefore they have been known to show up at haunted places.  The house is experiencing or has been experiencing both intelligent and residual hauntings.   Haunted Homes - lost, unrestful, confused, not necessarily know there dead - dead human beings.  The term I like to use is littering aimlessly.   Poltergeist?  Think squatters.  "Hell no we won't go" mentality.   There after a certain individual for various reasons - each case is different but the common denominator is the "geist" is after someone.   

In the Bothell house everyone was targeted albeit at different times.   Rhonda's family 2008"2009 were targeted particularly Rhonda and Rhonda's son.  

The entities took turns targeting Tina and I. But by in large I was targeted the most.  Because of my constant interacting with them.  By interacting I mean installing motion cameras, high caliber security systems and coming up empty handy by buying more cameras and upgrading my security system.  That type of focus i.e. determination is all you need to get on a poltergeist radar.

I'll send u the paper I wrote that sums this up in detail.

@papageorge1

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 12:44 PM, macqdor said:

Hauntings deal with a location.  Poltergeist deal with people.  A haunted house if haunted will haunt anyone who lives the house e.g. residual haunting. 

A house infested with Poltergeist-the people through some reason or another have conjectured up activity.  They move - the Poltergeist follows them.

Its rare u hear a house " geist" infested and two families  end up being haunted.

Two families who lived there different times.

Most haunted house are residual

All Poltergeist hauntings are labeled intelligent haunting.  The spirit interacts with the environment and persons

Umm... I don't think a house itself can be haunted, the structure is made out of wood and metal and such... it's what inside the house that makes it haunted or have paranormal events by not the HOUSE itself.

The last part I found interesting all are intelligent in my book, I get that if asked a question they respond and this is what has gi en them the intelligent label but they're all intelligent it doesnt matter if they answer you back or not in my opinion.

I think they are everywhere, just some are stronger than others and some people attract that sort of stuff easier than others.

Paranormal things happen outside under the clear blue sky too it's not just contained to houses or buildings, another reason why I believe we walk amongst them, it's just part of life and the ones that inner act and play tricks on us are the ones that did that sort of stuff in the flesh. And / or they are the fallen ones sent to test our faith and I think they might walk side by side or in and out of that same relm...

• Thanks 1

The core definition of an intelligent haunting is a haunting that involves interaction of some sort e.g. plots, schemes, response to commands, signals or jesters.  residual haunting is just that 'residual'.   There's a presence, an energy of some sort wandering aimlessly.  No interaction with persons or house environment for that matter. 

Poltergeist, demonic, malevolent hautnings in general are by definition intelligent to the manipulative nature of the haunting.  The entity is specifically going after people or persons.  Its goal is very target specific.

The Bell Witch Poltergeist perfect example of an (Extreme Intelligent haunting)