Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Concerns raised over hunt for NZ 'giants'

UM-Bot

21 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Now they are warning that there is a protection spell on the cave where they were looking for the Giants.

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Which is odd, we (as teachers) are told to use the NewRevised Standard Edition when sending kids to use “Bible Gateway”.

It's a simpler version for them to use. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Given that a simple engineering analysis could put to lie the idea of viable 12 foot tall person 

And some idiot will still defend their existence. Think  "Answers in Genesis".  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We should keep in mind there have been true giants.  They lived relatively short and uncomfortable lives. RIP

andre-the-giant.jpg

• Like 5

I think we should cut these folks a little slack as long as they do not destroy something of value.

They are doing that thing where they look for some evidence. Let them look as long as they are not destroying something of value. Maybe they will find something of interest. For all we know they might find a new species of large bird fossil. Maybe they will find an archaeological site and have the wisdom to ask for assistance. Maybe they will find a Paleozoic rabbit. That's okay with me too.

If we are lucky they will uncover another dendochronological record going back over 10,000 years and thus pulling a Mario - providing evidence showing they are wrong.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I think we should cut these folks a little slack as long as they do not destroy something of value.

They are doing that thing where they look for some evidence. Let them look as long as they are not destroying something of value. Maybe they will find something of interest. For all we know they might find a new species of large bird fossil. Maybe they will find an archaeological site and have the wisdom to ask for assistance. Maybe they will find a Paleozoic rabbit. That's okay with me too.

If we are lucky they will uncover another dendochronological record going back over 10,000 years and thus pulling a Mario - providing evidence showing they are wrong.

Did you read the article?  They are digging caves on someone else's property without permission and who know what they have destroyed.  If nothing else, they have destroyed someone's property.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Given the lack of professional expertise and practices, they likely already are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Swede said:

Given the lack of professional expertise and practices, they likely already are.

...unless they've come across evidence of alien hybrid experimentation to create giant half chicken-men....Moa-men,  Dinornis robustus sapien

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

...unless they've come across evidence of alien hybrid experimentation to create giant half chicken-men....Moa-men,  Dinornis robustus sapien

Hi Hanslune

Oh sure make fun of the little people.

jmccr8

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Did you read the article?  They are digging caves on someone else's property without permission and who know what they have destroyed.  If nothing else, they have destroyed someone's property.

Did they?  He doesn't know they are there and can't find where they are digging.

51 minutes ago, Swede said:

Such as?  Do you suppose for one moment that they are destroying something of value?  Highly doubtful.  When you were a kid digging in the back yard how much evidence of lost civilizations do you imagine you destroyed?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Or maybe they are the alien hybrid experiments. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Such as?  Do you suppose for one moment that they are destroying something of value?  Highly doubtful.  When you were a kid digging in the back yard how much evidence of lost civilizations do you imagine you destroyed?

My grandson and his friend dug in the friend's front yard and found all kinds of things.  And my grandson brought most of it home.  Rusty saw blades, an old hammer, other detritis.  You never know what they destroyed in their dig.  Our neighborhood used to be a big farm and now we know where the dump was.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Did they?  He doesn't know they are there and can't find where they are digging.

If he doesn't know where they are digging how does he know anyone is digging?

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

People gave him a heads up.

Nonsense about Giants aside, anyone other than professional archaeologists (who get permits, etc.) doing 'digs' on property other than their own should be found and heavily fined. Even if they aren't destroying actual sites of historical and scientific value, they're still wrecking the land, endangering themselves and others, and basically committing vandalism.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It was all the singing he could hear from beneath his turnips that tipped him off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

Cut them some Slack, as long as they don't destroy sometime? The idiots are digging under a road!!!:w00t: That seems kinda dangerous doesn't it? I mean we're not talking about professionals here, hell their not even Acheologists, there just some fanatics who are tearing up the country side and trespassing on private property. I can't cut them any slack, I do hope that they don't get shot fir trespassing though.

Peace

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

We should keep in mind there have been true giants.  They lived relatively short and uncomfortable lives. RIP

andre-the-giant.jpg

Yes we should also remember that they had miserably painful lives. So did Giants exist, yes, throughout history there have been genetic anomalies. If this gentleman had lived a thousand years ago, and his remains were unearthed some would certainly claim that a Giant Race race once lived. This could happen some day, but unless there are many individuals discovered at the same the location it's most likely nothing more than a Genetic Anomaly like this poor man. His name is Robert Wadlow, and he is the tallest man known to have ever lived, Robert was 8 foot 11 inches when he died.

Peace

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

Apologies to all. I didn't read the article and the comments have me wanting to check out how despicable and moronic this crew is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How are these knuckleheads getting away with a 4 year dig on someone's property? That does lead to some significant ground disturbance that would be hard to cover up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

The people involved here have some serious issues, first they are illegally digging on private property and they have no true basis for their claims. Here are a few more links concerning this story, it appears that they have stopped digging in that location. Now they are warning that there is a protection spell on the cave where they were looking for the Giants.

Here's a link with more information:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/119534213/concerns-over-secret-search-for-giants-bones-near-huntly

Heres a link where they call off the dig, and talk about a protection spell on the cave.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/in-depth/409704/giant-skeleton-searchers-call-off-dig

Peace

It has a "reiki protection" on it now?  That has to be one of the strangest uses of reiki that I've ever heard about.

Sadly, I think the "gang of researchers" will probably find another target.  They don't seem the kind to give up easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, stereologist said:

They ARE destroying things of value.  Piney can give you the whole rant on pot hunters -- from the standpoint of archaeology and paleontology, what they're doing is destroying context and evidence.  They just run in and haul things out, destroying the context and creating problems with the site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

They ARE destroying things of value.  Piney can give you the whole rant on pot hunters -- from the standpoint of archaeology and paleontology, what they're doing is destroying context and evidence.  They just run in and haul things out, destroying the context and creating problems with the site.

I  thought they were aimlessly digging someplace.

The sort of thing they are doing is what has made it impossible to work out the history of Great Zimbabwe in Africa and many sites in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some interesting reading here... 

http://www.celticnz.co.nz/Bes & Thor/Bes&Taranis.htm

In 2004, Member of Parliament, the Hon. Chris Carter, was asked, under an “official information” request, how many archaeological “embargoes” were presently in place. He forwarded a written response that there were 105 current embargoes, mostly concerning burial sites. It was stated that “DOC administers the New Zealand Archaeological Associations Central file ...of which, 105 ... were classified as sensitive records”. The response stated: “File keepers may create sensitive files ....if this is requested by the site recorder...”

One of these embargos of recent years included a 75-year suppression of information related to a cache of large stature skeletons at Waikaretu, 12-miles SSE of Port Waikato. The very tall people (measured to be 7-feet or more) were laid out on cut shelves in a cavern, which was exposed during road widening excavations. Anthropologists from Auckland and Waikato Universities were called in and, to the dismay and disgust of the roading contractors, they slapped a moratorium over the find, requiring that it be kept secret from the New Zealand public. Maurice Tyson of Tuakau, a contractor in the area for 50 years, recalls how this upset the men who had discovered the cave. They could not understand why such a valuable, history-changing, archaeological site should be kept secret. In 1988, archaeologist, Michael Taylor slapped an embargo on any release of information concerning the ancient, stacked stone structures in the Waipoua Forest, but that embargo was partially broken by a private citizen’s legal challenge after 8-years

http://readingthemaps.blogspot.com/2015/11/waipoua-forest-and-incredible-shrinking.html

Edited by crystal sage