Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Concerns raised over hunt for NZ 'giants'

UM-Bot

5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

They ARE destroying things of value.  Piney can give you the whole rant on pot hunters -- from the standpoint of archaeology and paleontology, what they're doing is destroying context and evidence.  They just run in and haul things out, destroying the context and creating problems with the site.

My rant is famous. I learned it off of R. Alan Mounier himself from going to his field school. :yes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, stereologist said:

I think we should cut these folks a little slack as long as they do not destroy something of value.

Look, there's note much chance of that happening it's New Zealand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

All those bog Irish convicts over in Australia stole everything of value. :whistle:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, crystal sage said:

Some interesting reading here... 

In 2004, Member of Parliament, the Hon. Chris Carter ...

So not the "X Files" Chris Carter, then ...

Edited by Windowpane
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It has a "reiki protection" on it now?  That has to be one of the strangest uses of reiki that I've ever heard about.

Sadly, I think the "gang of researchers" will probably find another target.  They don't seem the kind to give up easily.

I don't even know what Reiki protection is, I assume it is some kind of magical spell?

Peace

Thanks to all for pointing out my rather dumb thinking on the issue when I had not read the article.

I appreciate all of the jabs I've taken as I continue to face palm over my blunder. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Thanks to all for pointing out my rather dumb thinking on the issue when I had not read the article.

I appreciate all of the jabs I've taken as I continue to face palm over my blunder. 

Your blunders are as rare as hen's teeth. :tu:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

WTH is going on in this pic?

What do you mean?

Peace

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

What do you mean?

Peace

It looks like she's staring at his junk!  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It has a "reiki protection" on it now?  That has to be one of the strangest uses of reiki that I've ever heard about.

They can't even get their woocrap right ........whistleheads....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, OverSword said:

Genesis 6:4 King James Version (KJV)

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Probably anyone over 6 foot was a 'giant'.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, OverSword said:

Such as?  Do you suppose for one moment that they are destroying something of value?  Highly doubtful.  When you were a kid digging in the back yard how much evidence of lost civilizations do you imagine you destroyed?

Archaeological and paleontological sites are non-renewable resources. Once they are disturbed by unqualified parties, huge amounts of information have been irretrievably lost.

As mentioned by Kenemet, in fields such as these, context is everything, and you only have one chance to do it right.

It is apparent that the parties involved are grossly incompetent, operating illegally, and have been doing so for an extended period of time. Where are the excavation mappings? Bulk soils samples? Stratigraphic mappings/wall profiles? Piece plotting? etc., etc., etc. Where are the analyses and reports?

As mentioned in the article, the location is now known to officials. One can likely expect actions to be taken.

As to youthful activities, yes, children have inadvertently encountered sites. Fortunately, in many cases, the parents were responsible enough to contact professionals so the discoveries could be dealt with in a competent manner. Pity that these clowns do not have such worthwhile oversight.

Edit Typo.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

Archaeological and paleontological sites are non-renewable resources.

Evidence that this qualifies as an archaeological site?  And every inch of the planet is paleontologicaly viable but that does not mean rare or valuable.

You can go to the top of a hill separating Kirkland from Redmond (two suburbs of Seattle) and kick rocks around and find fossilized sea shells.  There are millions of them.  They are not valuable.

Edited by OverSword

2 hours ago, Piney said:

It looks like she's staring at his junk!  :lol:

Well I suppose that's  normal, you no what they say about guys with big hands and big feet.:D

Peace Bro

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

WTH is going on in this pic?

He's clearly trying to persuade her to "polish his clock"...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't even know what Reiki protection is, I assume it is some kind of magical spell?

Peace

Beats me.  Probably "if you mess with the site, we'll come force you to listen to hours of reiki philosophy."

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Beats me.  Probably "if you mess with the site, we'll come force you to listen to hours of reiki philosophy."

I just looked it up it's a Japanese healing technique were you place hands on the ill person and Chanel energy to heal them. So what the **** does that have to do with putting a Reiki protection on that cave, those people are totally nuts, it appears they don't even know what Reiki means:w00t::no:

Peace Bro

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I just looked it up it's a Japanese healing technique were you place hands on the ill person and Chanel energy to heal them. So what the **** does that have to do with putting a Reiki protection on that cave, those people are totally nuts, it appears they don't even know what Reiki means:w00t::no:

Peace Bro

I wonder if they actually meant 'tiki'?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

You clearly don’t value sheep like the Scots do, then...

—Jaylemurph 

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

You clearly don’t value sheep like the Scots do, then...

—Jaylemurph 

I'm just a city boy.

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I wonder if they actually meant 'tiki'?

I really have no idea, in the links I provided above the Reiki was specifically used, but like I have said I am not an expert on any of that. 

Peace

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I really have no idea, in the links I provided above the Reiki was specifically used, but like I have said I am not an expert on any of that. 

Peace

A misused tiki or reiki would probably be very offensive to Maori elders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 6:42 AM, Piney said:

My rant is famous. I learned it off of R. Alan Mounier himself from going to his field school. :yes:

@Swede 

You laugh because you remember Indian Head and Herschel Lee Schenck!! :lol:

New Jersey passed a law making it criminal to possess human remains and we nailed his son. :tu:

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 8:36 PM, OverSword said:

Genesis 6:4 King James Version (KJV)

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Suddenly I'm - (gulp) - afraid...

rel-Giants34.jpg