Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ammonia could power ocean-going ships

Still Waters

Ocean-going ships could be powered by ammonia within the decade as the shipping industry takes action to curb carbon emissions.

The chemical - the key ingredient of fertilisers - can be burned in ships’ engines in place of polluting diesel.

The industry hopes ammonia will help it tackle climate change, because it burns without CO2 emissions.

The creation of the ammonia itself creates substantial CO2, but a report says technology can solve this problem.

The challenge is huge, because shipping produces around 2% of global carbon emissions – about the same as the whole German economy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51548361

• Like 4

Lets hope they leave planes alone, or in order to push the demented Green Deal, all airports have to be shut, and murder the poor and walk all over them for laughs by the elite, that is a given.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Ocean-going ships could be powered by ammonia within the decade as the shipping industry takes action to curb carbon emissions.

The chemical - the key ingredient of fertilisers - can be burned in ships’ engines in place of polluting diesel.

The industry hopes ammonia will help it tackle climate change, because it burns without CO2 emissions.

The creation of the ammonia itself creates substantial CO2, but a report says technology can solve this problem.

The challenge is huge, because shipping produces around 2% of global carbon emissions – about the same as the whole German economy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51548361

I don't understand why they don't use Propane when it burns it releases Oxygen, what's better than that.

peace

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's pretty interesting, but most of that article applies to producing gas for cooking. I don't think I could past the fact that I was cooking using ****, plus I can only bet the smell of it burning won't be pleasant either. I remember once when I was in Iraq, we burned Camel **** to heat our MRE's, even that kinda took the mood a hot meal have away.

Maybe it's just me.

Peace

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's pretty interesting, but most of that article applies to producing gas for cooking. I don't think I could past the fact that I was cooking using ****, plus I can only bet the smell of it burning won't be pleasant either. I remember once when I was in Iraq, we burned Camel **** to heat our MRE's, even that kinda took the mood a hot meal have away.

Maybe it's just me.

Peace

A biodigester is basically a means of harnessing the gas. It can be filtered and it doesn't smell like a wet fart. 

Considering that septic tanks simply hold human waste and we toss out so many leftovers. We could harness the effects of this matter decaying. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

So a urine powered ship? 

They could use methane instead. :P

1 hour ago, tmcom said:

Lets hope they leave planes alone, or in order to push the demented Green Deal, all airports have to be shut, and murder the poor and walk all over them for laughs by the elite, that is a given.

:rolleyes:

The one thing that is a given is your obsession with commenting on anything related to climate change.

I am however surprised that you didn't include your other obsession.... a certain Swedish teenage girl. Are you Allright ? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A biodigester is basically a means of harnessing the gas. It can be filtered and it doesn't smell like a wet fart. 

Considering that septic tanks simply hold human waste and we toss out so many leftovers. We could harness the effects of this matter decaying. 

I never heard of doing that, but it sounds like something more of us should be doing.

Peace

5 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

They could use methane instead.

Maybe. Depends on if the combustion give enough kinetic umph. 

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

I never heard of doing that, but it sounds like something more of us should be doing.

Peace

A lot of people get on some big eco change crazy. When the change can be small. A small solar setup, using alternative ways of processing human waste. Even a rainwater system would offset grid use. I use grey water recycling at my cabin, which make the grass grow a foot high. The waste from the portapotty is pretreated with rid-x in order to break it down, then it's solar assisted composted. Which leaves "Dirt". Especially during the summer. 

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

A lot of people get on some big eco change crazy. When the change can be small. A small solar setup, using alternative ways of processing human waste. Even a rainwater system would offset grid use. I use grey water recycling at my cabin, which make the grass grow a foot high. The waste from the portapotty is pretreated with rid-x in order to break it down, then it's solar assisted composted. Which leaves "Dirt". Especially during the summer. 

Yea, that's really good, but for most Americans they can't comprehend what your doing and that is really a shame. My place in Korea is supported by a large array of Solar Pannels, even in the winter our water was heated by Solar power, and almost 40% of our combined electrical use also came from Solar Pannels. This is how they build homes in Korea, all new construction has to be built this way, so no upgrades are needed. But turning waste into energy isn't something that is commonly done and neither is water recycling in the manner in which you do it.

Another thing that is very common in Korea is the use of Propane as automobile fuel, new cars can be ordered with Propane conversion, and they also sell kits that can convert almost any car to Propane. I don't understand why they don't do such things here in the US, the only thing I can think of is that our Givernment is in the controlled by the Utility and Oil companies which really sucks.

Peace

8 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

They could use methane instead. :P

The one thing that is a given is your obsession with commenting on anything related to climate change.

I am however surprised that you didn't include your other obsession.... a certain Swedish teenage girl. Are you Allright ? 

Pretty hard to avoid it in AU, since everything is climate change.

Obsessed with a 16 year old, school dropout, that is probably reading Mein kampf as we speak, nope.

^_^

11 minutes ago, tmcom said:

Pretty hard to avoid it in AU, since everything is climate change.

Obsessed with a 16 year old, school dropout, that is probably reading Mein kampf as we speak, nope.

^_^

You do realise that you could have ignored my post instead of playing right into what I said don't you ? Heck you can even ignore her too, but you aren't going to do that are you ? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Propane when it burns it releases Oxygen,

No it really, really doesn't. Burning, by definition, is a reaction which uses oxygen, not releases it.

The equation for the combustion of propane is:

C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O + heat

In other words it releases water and carbon dioxide

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

No it really, really doesn't. Burning, by definition, is a reaction which uses oxygen, not releases it.

The equation for the combustion of propane is:

C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O + heat

In other words it releases water and carbon dioxide

Thanks for the correction, I most certainly must have confused this with something else I have read.

This is what I should have said, some how I incorrectly labeled the effects of burning Propane. I was making a reference to Autogas which is a Green form of Propane and Butane. But like you said even then it still produces low levels of Carbon Dioxide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogas

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

18 hours ago, XenoFish said:

So a urine powered ship? 

I was literally picturing a whole crew lined up like meercats at the stern of the ship, peeing off the edge.

If they can contain the CO2 generated in manufacture, this would be a good development.  But if they can't, the world would be better off using natural gas (first scrubbed of all CO2, of course).

Doug

On 2/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, XenoFish said:

So a urine powered ship? 

Manufactured ammonia made from natural gas, just as agricultural ammonia is manufactured.

Doug

Yes, more crap that won't work, give me a diesel generator and a s....tload of diesel anyday, over this greenie crap.

^_^