Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
jypsijemini

Former NRL player murders entire family

jypsijemini

An ex-rugby league player, his wife and their three children have died after a car fire in the Australian city of Brisbane.

Rowan Baxter and the children, all under 10, were found dead at the scene by emergency responders, police said.

His wife, Hannah Baxter, aged 31, died later in hospital from extensive burns. She had reportedly jumped from the car yelling: "He's poured petrol on me".

Police are investigating how the fire started.

"How the fire actually occurred has not been ascertained at the moment so for us to call it a murder-suicide or a tragic accident, it's inappropriate at this stage," Detective Inspector Mark Thompson said.

From BBC article. Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48778156

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length. The rest can be viewed in the source link.
  • Sad 4

jypsijemini

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/news/multiple-people-have-reportedly-died-following-a-car-fire-in-brisbane/news-story/b3150c84e7ef94a85b8c20bfeb4c3b6f

The Courier Mail spoke exclusively to a witness who claimed Mr Baxter jumped into his estranged wife’s car while she was on the school run, setting it on fire before stabbing himself to death.

Neighbour Aaron Snell also told the paper Mr Baxter was in “all manner of states’ and jumped into the flaming car to grab a knife while bystanders tried to help.

Mr Snell said the heroic acts of bystanders were met with anger by Mr Baxter who was “protesting to stop putting it out.”

Nine News reported Mr Baxter had bought a jerry can of fuel from a nearby petrol station

and poured it over the car. He then died of self-inflicted stab wounds, it said.

Police confirmed to news.com.au that Mr Baxter’s body was found outside the car, but wouldn’t say whether he had stabbed himself.

• Sad 1

Habitat

Sickening, and all the more sickening because it is behaviour that is terribly hard to stop happening. A similar incident happened in that suburb, or an adjacent one, over 20 years ago, when a man shot his estranged wife, their son, the wife's father, and then himself, on a suburban street. 

• Sad 1

jypsijemini
6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Sickening, and all the more sickening because it is behaviour that is terribly hard to stop happening. A similar incident happened in that suburb, or an adjacent one, over 20 years ago, when a man shot his estranged wife, their son, the wife's father, and then himself, on a suburban street. 

Agreed! It can happen in an instant!

And it's practically impossible to know whether there were any signs before it happened. The media are pulling up everything he posted to Facebook but these things could have all been totally innocent if it were someone else! Many parents play that rough with their kids (they're focusing in on a video where he's seen play-wrestling with the children) and write heartfelt, sweet captions on photos of their babies. It's just been spotlighted in the aftermath of what happened on Wednesday.

It's one of the worst displays of selfishness that exists: "If I can't have them, then neither can you." They don't just take themselves out, or their partner - they end the lives of their own innocent children as well. We had one in SA going back a couple years ago where a father drove off the bluff in Port Lincoln with the kids in the backseat.

When I heard that the mother in this case hadn't survived, I was saddened but not surprised. Even if one of her babies had made it out of that car, she would have had it in her to fight to survive. She'd had everything ripped away from her by the man she loved once. It's so hard to imagine. Not quickly either. He wanted to make them suffer while he had his own way of ending it quickly for himself. Unbelievable. He's reserved a special place in hell for himself.

I had to stop reading once the articles began describing the way witnesses found her - skin melting and screaming. No one's describing what those children, strapped to a backseat, were suffering. Absolutely horrific.

What kind of monster does that to his children and their mother?!

• Sad 1

Habitat

Might have had a few hard knocks to the head in his football days. Quite a few have gone off the rails. I was talking today to a bloke who played League at a high level, and he was telling me of having a few beers with a former star of the game, and not picking up any warning signs, but picked up the paper a few weeks later and found he had suicided.

• Sad 1

joc
6 hours ago, jypsijemini said:

What kind of monster does that to his children and their mother?!

The same kind of monster that shoots 57 people in Las Vegas....et al

smh